It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'modern' surplus centercab locomotive for sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm 

I guess this is a rebuild from something like a GE? looks like a lot of newer and more modern stuff then some others. And might go for a pretty low price...

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Rail-Equipment-Chattahoochee-Locomotive-Mississippi/1579619?h=5000%2Cct%7C3%2Cc%7C1724&rr=1&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Post subject: Re: 'modern' surplus centercab locomotive for sale
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 am 

What's so modern about it? It looks like a standard GE 44-tonner, perhaps better cared for than most. (Despite complaints about government "inefficiency," many operations, in particular the military ones, do take care of equipment well.)

Curious that no builder's number was found, though. You would think something would be visible somewhere on the unit, even if the builder's plates were missing.

It is interesting this unit isn't on this roster. . .

https://www.thedieselshop.us/Navy.HTML

Nor on this one, given that it's at an Air Force base now (Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Mo.)

https://www.thedieselshop.us/Navy.HTML

Hmm--considering my remark on "efficiency," I wonder if this unit is in a sort of black hole, "lost" as some government property can be, though that would seem unlikely for a locomotive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:04 am 

The same report that states they cannot find any serial numbers also offers photos of the “steering controls”, which leads me to believe the author may not be an experienced locomotive inspector.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 am 

Bobharbison wrote:
The same report that states they cannot find any serial numbers also offers photos of the “steering controls”, which leads me to believe the author may not be an experienced locomotive inspector.

Just looked at the captions now, and another similar shot has "Hydraulic Controls."

This isn't a Krauss-Maffei!!

I must concur with the original poster, though. This unit could be a bargain, provided nothing is seriously wrong with it. (I'm wondering about the shutdown after 30 minutes due to a tripped relay. Could that be an automatic shutdown of some sort due to extended idle time, or perhaps overheating from that extended idle?)

Last edited by J3a-614 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:23 am 

It has what I think is an updated control stand, newer electrical, and the engines maybe a bit more modern then some. Chattahoochee is a shop in the business of locomotive work including remanufacturing so it isn't much of a stretch that it could be updated a bit. In any case, it looks like a nice unit and I bet it goes for pretty cheap....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 am 

Chattahoochee Locomotive Company was a locomotive rebuilder based out of Cornelia, Georgia. They did rebuild several GE 65 ton locomotives for the U S Government and this is one of them, not a 44 ton. They no longer rebuild locomotives for others.

Locomotives were completely updated.

It is hard to keep up to date on any listing of government owned locomotives. Remember, many were purchased or rebuilt before we all had computers, but many things still fall through the giant government sink hole.

Some items are stored in government warehouses where they just sit for years, until someone decides the government no longer needs it, then it may get sold or scrapped, may even be taken out back and shoved in a hole in the ground.

This may be a great purchase, but be prepared to deal with the government regulations to get it off the property.

There was one of these that sat at a government near Louisville several years ago. Sat outside so long, I could not get the hood doors open.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:14 am 

GE
15654 65T D/E B-B Std 34” 400hp Cum HBIS-600 (2) 7/24/1942 B-B-130/130-4GE838
US Army #7340, Longhorn Ordnance Works #2, Karnack, Tex Center cab
US Air Force #7340, Carswell AFB, Ft Worth, Tex 11/1948
US Navy, Naval Weapons Station #13, Yorktown, Va 9/1968
USN number series initiated 1949-1950-Numbered to #65-00510
US Navy, Naval Construction Battalion Center, Gulfport, Miss
Johnson Railway Service, Ga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:33 pm 

Sold for $10,200.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 am 

elecuyer wrote:
Sold for $10,200.

I wonder who bought it?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:02 am 

Attachment:
PL120D.jpg
PL120D.jpg [ 200.12 KiB | Viewed 7418 times ]
Hi folks. I know it's been a while since this was posted, but somehow I ended up here after searching for Chattahoochee Locomotive. They rebuilt a couple of GE centercabs which they designated PL120D. Attached is the only picture I've ever seen of one. The picture in the link right at the top of this thread has been taken down, because the unit sold, but I'm just wondering; does anyone have any other pictures of a PL120D, and was the unit that was for sale, one of these? Cheers, Steve.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:47 am 

I doubt that the one in your photo was done by Chattahoochee Locomotive Company. I knew the owner of the company and saw some of the GE centercab locomotives they rebuilt for the government. From the outside you could not tell them from a regular GE centercab. They were re-engine, rewired and most had an AAR control stand with 26NL air brake update.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:27 pm 

I once-upon-a-time did a lot of work on Army bases and the way I (thought) i could tell what was rebuilt and what wasn't, was the rebuilt units had two sealed beam headlights at each end, the non-rebuilt didn't.
BTW the Navy Yard at Kittery, Maine (Portsmouth NH Naval Shipyard) will soon be disposing of their two 44-tonners to be replaced with a car mover. Both are operational and in nice shape. I do not believe they have ever been rebuilt.
Ned