It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacifc Journal Pad LLC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:02 am 

Thank you Brian Wise for your recommendation and helping spread the word, and to Cumbres & Toltec for running our prototypes with over 1000 miles of service last fall. Also thank you to all in the business for your interest in our company Pacific Journal Pad LLC. We are excited to serve the industry to keep vintage equipment rolling.

I'm running this business from my home with the help of my wife Katie because we learned that these pads were no longer made. Our pads are trully hand made with our prototype equipment, created with densely-looped cotton cloth covers and open cell polyurethane foam cores with cotton wicks running up through the center. They also have a twill end loop to allow removal and periodic adjustment in the cellar. They are labor-intensive and time consuming so production numbers are limited to a couple dozen per week, and we ask your patience for turnaround times. This should improve as we find ways to scale up.

We want to build a database of pad sizes relative to axle bearing size so we rely on customers to bring their needs. Attached is our current 2021 price list for single section pads, with a few gaps where we need customer data on pad dimensions for those bearing sizes. We are happy to make any size or shape you need including winged pads.

For orders, please send your existing journal pad dimensions, and axle bearing size, and quantity to: PacificJournalPadLLC@gmail.com We can provide a quote and lead time, and discuss any special projects.

We appreciate questions/quotes via email because we'll be busy making pads so won't have much time to check this thread or other social media requests.

If you do FB, please check out our new page for updates:
https://www.facebook.com/pacificjournalpadllc

Best Regards,
Craig Cootsona
Owner
Pacific Journal Pad LLC
PacificJournalPadLLC@gmail.com

PacifcjournalPadLLC@gmail.com

Last edited by craig.cootsona on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pacifc Journal Pad LLC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:53 pm 

Thank you for all the interest in our journal pads. We continue to expand our lineup based on customer needs so you can expect the list to grow as we hear from people with other projects. The current price list shows what we have specified so far.

As always, we are happy to make custom sizes, and we simply adjust cost for according to the materials. There is no additional setup fee for special sizes because we hand-make everything.

For quotes, questions, lead times, etc send an email to PacificJournalPadLLC@gmail.com and we can go from there.

Best regards,
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 am 

We've been busy making journal lubricating pads for dozens of railroads. Some orders included pads for geared steam locomotives, narrow gauge locomotive driving boxes, and several sizes of winged pads. We have learned that we need some key information to fit a pad correctly.

1. Vertical clearance between axle bottom and journal box bottom. Don't include the collar on the end, we just need clearance in the area that runs around on the bearing. This is usually about 2.75" for standard gauge rolling stock and 2.5" for narrow gauge, but it's best to check because it's important to have the correct thickness to avoid excess pressure or too little contact.

2. Bearing brass length along the axis of the axle. Actual lengths usually end in 3/4 and are rounded up to the nearest inch. For example 8 3/4" brass is known as a 9"

3. Journal box bottom width side to side as you look in through the door. This varies quite a bit and for smaller axles it's important to get a snug fit so the pad doesn't have excessie movement when the axle changes direction.

Attachments:
Journal Box measurements.jpg
Journal Box measurements.jpg [ 200.43 KiB | Viewed 4923 times ]
PJPLLC pricing 2021.jpg
PJPLLC pricing 2021.jpg [ 342.95 KiB | Viewed 4923 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:34 pm 

I am thankful for all the people who work on railroads, particularly those who sink their hands into cold, wet, oily journal boxes to repack them.

Recently, several theme parks required replacement pads for Crown Metal Products railcars, and were no longer available through their regular suppliers. They sent an example of the dimensions and I made up several batches. Now I'm on the preferred vendor list!

I also suppled pads for Symmington journal boxes and pillow block cellars for a local turntable restoration. I enjoy this kind of work so feel free to contact me if you have a locomotive, car, or even a turntable that needs pads for plain bearing axle lubrication.

Shown below is a basic price list for simplicity, but the whole catalog became too long due to all the custom and one-off sizes. Since I make them all to order anyway, it's best to just contact me and let me know what you need. That way we can ensure it fits correctly since there are so many different box designs. Just send an email to PacificJournalPadLLC@gmail.com and we can chat via email or phone from there.

With the addition of our new machine, we became more efficient at making pads, so I chose to absorb the recent materials cost increases and keep prices steady. In addition, this reduces turnaround time so I can get orders out much more quickly, usually in under a week. Although we are about the only company that makes these pads, I want them to remain affordable, because staying on budget is important.

Lastly, the stockyard still has some little journal pad animals, and I can make more from leftover material as time allows.

Thanks again for all your business and let's keep those plain bearings rolling,
Craig Cootsona
PacificJournalPadLLC@gmail.com

Attachments:
Crown Metal syle pads.jpg
Crown Metal syle pads.jpg [ 153.21 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]
Animals.jpeg
Animals.jpeg [ 100.15 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]
Price page 1.jpeg
Price page 1.jpeg [ 106.25 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]
Price page 2.jpeg
Price page 2.jpeg [ 98.11 KiB | Viewed 2900 times ]