It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Operation Canidate: Southern 1401
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am 

Yep, Ladies and Gentlemen, today we are going to look at another restoration candidate! As you could probably tell by the topic of this title, we'll be looking at the possibility of returning Southern PS-4 #1401 to operation. Unlike the 6755 concept, I've listed off some pros and cons of this concept: first of all, the engine is in excellent condition cosmetically, which is great meaning we'll likely have to deal with less rust, considering the fact the locomotive has been kept in a climate-controlled environment. Second of all, the engine is likely is in good condition mechanically. The engine was donated to the Smithsonian just after her retirement, so all the engine would likely need were a new set of flues and some work with the breaking system. Finally, the engine was built for passenger service, which means she's pretty much a perfect candidate for mainline running should Norfolk Southern allow it. The only cons I can think of is getting the engine out of the Smithsonian both in terms of ownership and out of the building would definitely be the most difficult part. Regarding where the engine is going to go after the acquisition, I'm thinking the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC as 1, it was at one point a locomotive repair facility for the Southern, and the engine could get heavy repairs there since they were the ones who restored N&W 611, as well as a connection to Norfolk Southern's mainline, and besides, they do have a train ride on site. So, what do y'all think?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Another Operation Canidate: Southern 1401
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:39 pm 

If Graham Claytor could not get 1401 out of the Smithsonian, no one can.....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 pm 

From the Smithsonian's directive on collections management:
Quote:
As a general rule, collection items are acquired
and accessioned only when there is a good faith
intention to retain them in the Smithsonian
collections for an indefinite period of time.
Exceptions to this rule may be approved in
accordance with guidelines established in the SD
600 Implementation Manual.

Quote:
Deaccessioning and disposal occur for a variety of
reasons, such as deterioration of collection items
beyond usefulness; duplication or redundancy of
collection material; insufficient relationship of collection
items to the mission and goals of the collecting unit
such that they are judged to be better placed
elsewhere; repatriation; and selection for consumptive
research or educational use.

Bottom line, artifacts are only taken in when they are intended to be there essentially forever. The only solid argument one could make to get 1401 out of Washington is that it is one of three steam locomotives in the Smithsonian, there with the original John Bull and Santa Cruz Railroad's Jupiter, however each of these represent different eras in the development of railroads and 1401 is the only "modern" steam locomotive in the museum. I can scarcely think 1401 will get out of the National Museum of American History while any of us are alive, myself included, and I'm only 16.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am 

Earl Knoob wrote:
If Graham Claytor could not get 1401 out of the Smithsonian, no one can.....

You know, if the B&O Railroad Museum could get Pioneer out of the Smithsonian, chances are that 1401 COULD get out if the Railroad Museum in Question could trade one of their pieces for the 1401. That, or a HUGE sum of money to buy another artifact.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm 

I looked closer into the story of the Cumberland Valley "Pioneer." This is what can be found about the locomotive according to the Smithsonian:
Quote:
The B&O Railroad Museum has been a Smithsonian Affiliate since 1999. It has on loan a variety of Smithsonian artifacts relating to the history of American railroad.

One of the many Smithsonian artifacts on view at the B&O during Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day Live! is the Pioneer, an 1851 locomotive. The locomotive had once pulled passenger trains, had been used for two Civil war raids, and had been displayed at World's Fairs and Expositions as an operating relic. It had even been on view at the Smithsonian from 1963-2001. The B&O teamed up with the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History to restore the Pioneer to its 1901 appearance. B&O was able to accommodate the project in its own restoration facility.

This is a poor example for getting something out of the Smithsonian, as it neither operates at nor belongs to the B&O museum. The "Pioneer" is simply an artifact on loan, and when the time is up, it's right back to D.C. with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:03 pm 

First off, there is now way that the Smithsonian would ever allow the SOU1401 to leave the museum, let alone allow it to be restored. Second, if you didn’t already know, NS cancelled there steam program MONTHS ago. Third, don’t forget that there are already 2 running southern steamers, the 4501 and 630. Please just give it a rest already.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I heard both Jack White and Bill Withuhn empathetically tell anyone who would ask them about that "ABSOLUTELY NOT, NO WAY EVER IN HELL OVER SEVERAL DEAD BODIES!!! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, END OF DISCUSSION!!!!"

The philosophy is simple: "We" can run the wheels off of every other locomotive out there, and the 1401 will still be in pristine, perfect "original" condition. In modern pop-culture lingo, someone has to be the "designated survivor." And that's 1401.

And about the John Bull when asked if it could "come out to play" again: "Not even open for discussion until MAYBE 2031--ask the Museum administration then!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:45 am 

This may not be a true but I seem to recall that if by divine intervention 1401 were released from its tomb, it would have to be significantly disassembled to be transported out of the DC Mall area. When she was moved to the site in 1961, there was nowhere near the number of tunnels and the Metro which limits permissible surface vehicle weights in the area today.
Link to the "entombment" http://amhistory.si.edu/onthemove/theme ... _31_1.html

Want a PS-4 or facsimile grab A&WP 290. For the rivet counters 290 and SRR 1388 both had Baker valve gear and the similar sized tenders with 2 axle tender trucks. 1388 carried a Worthington BL feed water heater (the big one mounted on the fireman's side) and not the Elesco mounted up on the front like 1401. To get the front looking just right 290 would need a tube steel pilot and new smoke box front. It's rumored that green paint will not adhere to 290 though. :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

If you've ever seen 1401 with your own eyes, you can tell what a nightmarish prospect it'd be, extracting her from the building. You'd have to tear down a great deal of the building to get her out.
And don't forget, she sat for several years, cold, in Alexandria (if memory serves) before she was rolled over to a building where an auto restoration outfit cosmetically restored her. In short, they just cleaned and painted anything. It wasn't a restoration in regard to mechanics, other than to ensure she'd roll when needed during the move.
No, the best idea is to try for a grab at Canadian National No. 5288, a 4-6-2 at TVRM, which as I understand it, was pondered to make it into a PS-series lookalike. Would have been nice...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm 

tweetsie12:

I love your ideas for steam locomotive restorations and new builds but most of them are much too complicated to successfully complete, or even get started for that matter. I had similar plans when I was younger, one of which was owning Nickel Plate 624 and running high speed excursions between Chicago and Indianapolis! My point is, you're wanting to do so many big things very quickly, and that will never get you very far.

My best advice for you is, if you really want to see some of these ideas become a reality, start out small and volunteer at a local museum or tourist line. Work your way up through the ranks, learn new skills, and get your name heard around the preservation community. Once people know who you are and see what you've done for rail preservation, you'll be more likely to get lots of support for a project. Who knows, the Smithsonian might get word of what you're doing and go above and beyond to see that you get to restore the 1401!

If you follow these steps I'm sure at least one of your big plans will get to happen someday. And with your enthusiasm, I'd imagine any museum or tourist line that is of interest to you will be happy to have you as part of their crew.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm 

Trainkid456 wrote:
tweetsie12:

I love your ideas for steam locomotive restorations and new builds but most of them are much too complicated to successfully complete, or even get started for that matter. I had similar plans when I was younger, one of which was owning Nickel Plate 624 and running high speed excursions between Chicago and Indianapolis! My point is, you're wanting to do so many big things very quickly, and that will never get you very far.

My best advice for you is, if you really want to see some of these ideas become a reality, start out small and volunteer at a local museum or tourist line. Work your way up through the ranks, learn new skills, and get your name heard around the preservation community. Once people know who you are and see what you've done for rail preservation, you'll be more likely to get lots of support for a project. Who knows, the Smithsonian might get word of what you're doing and go above and beyond to see that you get to restore the 1401!

If you follow these steps I'm sure at least one of your big plans will get to happen someday. And with your enthusiasm, I'd imagine any museum or tourist line that is of interest to you will be happy to have you as part of their crew.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas for the help. I'll think I'll do just that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm 

Wasn't 5828 the source of 4501's stoker or feedwater heater?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 pm 

TimReynolds wrote:
Wasn't 5828 the source of 4501's stoker or feedwater heater?

The stoker for sure, but I cant recall if the feedwater heater was taken as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

I wouldnt believe so, as 4501 has a Worthington SA and that on the Canadian locomotive is an Elesco type.

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 pm 

10stewi wrote:
I wouldnt believe so, as 4501 has a Worthington SA and that on the Canadian locomotive is an Elesco type.

lol you'd think I'd look at the picture of 5828. yep 4501's is a Worthington...