It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Visit To The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm 

I visited the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic for the first time on Oct 15th. I was very impressed and plan to join the Friends of the C&TS.

Here's a video featuring internal views of the Chama, NM station as well as C&TS No. 487 leading its Antonito-bound train out of Chama together with a few other scenes caught farther up the line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQKsrAIptU&t=2s

Also, a few photos:

Attachments:
IMG_8669 (2)_Resized_900_by_664.jpg
IMG_8669 (2)_Resized_900_by_664.jpg [ 188.28 KiB | Viewed 3245 times ]
IMG_8652 (2)_Resized_900_by_625.jpg
IMG_8652 (2)_Resized_900_by_625.jpg [ 150.41 KiB | Viewed 3245 times ]
IMG_8606 (2)_Resized_900_by_626.jpg
IMG_8606 (2)_Resized_900_by_626.jpg [ 109.75 KiB | Viewed 3245 times ]

Post subject: Re: A Visit To The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:24 pm 

I spent a summer driving the bus for the contractor that ran the C&T shuttle. That was interesting, since we were based out of Tucson, Arizona. We made two or three trips over the pass a day-this was when they were literally down to a couple of operational steam locomotives, so train service was every other day from each end.

Due to a lack of service facilities for the buses, the company discouraged using the air brakes unnecessarily going down La Manga Pass. That made for challenging driving. We were also expected to make each trip in 105 minutes and no sooner. Some days we also hauled company freight in addition to passengers.

During my time on the mountain (about three months), I got to see one doubleheader that ran nonstop from Chama to Cumbres Pass. They were moving some flatcars to the Pass for work, so they put them between the helper and train engine. Also got to ride the parlor car from Chama to Antonito for $1. It was particularly nice since the car stayed on the rear end for the whole trip.