It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:04 pm 

I entirely agree with Mark, I'd imagine our railfan community or everyone who knew 1361 would go bizerk if she wound up not operating because we've waited for the better part of 2 decades now for her to return, certainly everyone would loose respect for the RMM if that actually happened.
Leward, I'm not "qualified" to say but she needs boiler work, tender still needs to be painted, cylinders were to undergo tests, cab needs sheet metal work, new upholstry, and painting. I assume there is more to that but that's all I know.


Executive director of the museum and leader of the project Larry Salone says he expects it cost about another $500,000 to finish her. This information is 2 years old but everything remains the same. I'll email the RMM asking if they can give us an update.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:29 am
Posts: 316
Location: Schuylkill County, PA
SPsteambuff wrote:
I entirely agree with Mark, I'd imagine our railfan community or everyone who knew 1361 would go bizerk if she wound up not operating because we've waited for the better part of 2 decades now for her to return, certainly everyone would loose respect for the RMM if that actually happened.


How could anyone go MORE bezerk than they already have, or lose any more respect for the RMM? That train has left the station. This is a salvage operation, both to make something respectable out of 1361, and to salvage the reputation of the museum.

In any case, she's not interpreting any history in any manner or fashion with the boiler at the EBT, and everything else locked in trailers. Where is the frame now, anyway?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
The frame left Steamtown with the boiler, so I'm guessing it too is at EBT.

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8353
Location: Baltimore, MD
The mission of the Railroaders Memorial Museum is not to satisfy beserk, deranged railfans.

The mission of the Railroaders Memorial Museum is to preserve and honor the railroaders and railroads of Altoona and the general region and their legacies, and advance the cause of education of the related history.

We can all certainly make a good case that they--many folks, over many years, for many reasons--fumbled very badly with repairing and using 1361 for this purpose. But garnering the satisfaction of "beserk" railfans should not be the driving force behind the decisions with regard to the future of 1361.

It's a most difficult and awkward spot to be in for them. At this stage of the game, no matter what they do with it they're going to tick people off. But I would argue that "beserk" railfans will never be satisfied anyway, so......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The mission of the Railroaders Memorial Museum is not to satisfy beserk, deranged railfans.

The mission of the Railroaders Memorial Museum is to preserve and honor the railroaders and railroads of Altoona and the general region and their legacies, and advance the cause of education of the related history.

We can all certainly make a good case that they--many folks, over many years, for many reasons--fumbled very badly with repairing and using 1361 for this purpose. But garnering the satisfaction of "beserk" railfans should not be the driving force behind the decisions with regard to the future of 1361.

It's a most difficult and awkward spot to be in for them. At this stage of the game, no matter what they do with it they're going to tick people off. But I would argue that "beserk" railfans will never be satisfied anyway, so......


I don't think any of us mentioned "berserk" railfans. Myself in particular, I just stated that, after all the time and state taxpayers' dollars that went into getting 1361 running again, if they just put it back together and put it on display, it will hurt the museum in the public eye. And "berserk" railfans are pretty good at influencing public opinion. Example: Steamtown.

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:16 pm
Posts: 15
They -- The ARRM - could do themselves a huge favor by at a minimum, post at the museum, a simple placard or display piece with the "where we are at story" as it pertains to 1361 and the roundhouse. I have visited at least three times, and have yet to meet anyone there that knows anything of either project. You could make a compelling argument that I actually did not meet anyone!
Staffing a Museum -- and it has some impressive displays and exhibits -- with two young folks that seemed to have zero interest in railroading in general and no information to share on these projects left a bad taste.
I will visit again, and hope I find somebody more in tune with the history and romance of the rail and steam than what I have found there. I'm sure that I am not alone in my experience. I hope the best for the place, but they need the public's help as well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 3724
Location: Maine
Why does one have to reference K4s "lovers" as "berserk and deranged"? This nomenclature could also apply to berserk and deranged Statue of Liberty fans, who under took a complete rebuild of the iron interior armature and copper sheeting at a ridiculous cost in the 1980's. The K4s is an icon of American locomotive design. If enough money is raised to complete restoration, why not move ahead and complete the job? Doesn't the basic issue boil down to who pays for it, rather than if it should be done?
Railroaders Memorial Museum has not yet called me for my "expertise*" on the subject of their locomotive, but if they do, I'll gladly direct the project.

*Of which I admittedly, have little.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:46 am
Posts: 2447
Location: S.F. Bay Area
I'm honestly failing to see how any of us could have done any better given the cards they were dealt.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 pm 

Exactly. I don't hate them at all nor do I blame them for what's happened to her. They could have made some smart decisions but hey at least she can and WILL be back together and operational at some point in the future.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8353
Location: Baltimore, MD
SPsteambuff wrote:
but hey at least she can and WILL be back together and operational at some point in the future.


This is how rumors get started.

If by "operational" you mean "able to be rolled in and out of a roundhouse stall", probably.

If you mean "running under steam on the main line", then I personally would call you relentlessly optimistic. I'd love to be wrong.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:34 pm 

I'll remain optimistic. You can dis and have your doubts on the 1361 but I don't.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8353
Location: Baltimore, MD
SPsteambuff wrote:
I'll remain optimistic. You can dis and have your doubts on the 1361 but I don't.


Review the first two pages of this thread. Carefully.

To operate this loco at anything resembling original pressure, it will need a completely-reengineered-and-built-from-scratch firebox (basically half the boiler). To operate it more regularly and reliably, or at all on the main line, it will need a rebuilding of the scope 4501 has been getting at the TVRM: new roller bearings, realigned running gear, etc.

It also would need a place to run. If NS decides it would like to run it as part of an excursion program, more power to them, but I believe they will find far more reliability with the likes of a rebuilt 4501, 611, 765, etc. (Put another way: I love MGs and Triumphs, but if you're going to offer me one that I have to keep running reliably, I'll take that Mazda Miata instead. There are limits to my masochism.) And I don't see anyone else eager to field a PRR K4s in regular service.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 3724
Location: Maine
"I personally would call you relentlessly optimistic. I'd love to be wrong."

We all look forward to it! :-)

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:46 am
Posts: 2447
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Put another way: I love MGs and Triumphs, but if you're going to offer me one that I have to keep running reliably, I'll take that Mazda Miata instead. There are limits to my masochism.

See, there's the difference twixt your thinking and mine. I'll take the Triumph, and swap a Miata powertrain into it.
Yes, I do that sort of thing.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: P.R.R. 1361
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 am 

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:50 pm
Posts: 148
Location: MD
robertmacdowell wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Put another way: I love MGs and Triumphs, but if you're going to offer me one that I have to keep running reliably, I'll take that Mazda Miata instead. There are limits to my masochism.

See, there's the difference twixt your thinking and mine. I'll take the Triumph, and swap a Miata powertrain into it.
Yes, I do that sort of thing.


In that case, the argument as to how 4501 should be painted is over. We'll just paint 1361 on the cab and Pennsylvania on the tender. Come to think of it, it might look close to those USRA mikes that PRR had. Hmmmmm.......No


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: