It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg to Repair, Use LIRR G5s 39; Fundraising Announced
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Posted this morning to the Facebook page of the Railroad Museum of Long Island:

Post subject: Re: Strasburg to Repair, Use LIRR G5s 39; Fundraising Announ
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 pm 

Very good news. I stand a good chance of living long enough to see it go into service, in any case. It couldn;t be in better hands, or have a better guaranteed useful future.

dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

They won't need to worry about getting the engine there since it's already there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:25 pm 

Hmmm. First, the N&W 611 announcement, now this project. Both are ambitious with lots of interesting possibilities.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm 

Miketherailfan wrote:
They won't need to worry about getting the engine there since it's already there.

The boilers in Pa. But the frame and running gear are still on Long Island.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

Wow, two items of sticker shock. $2 million to restore? And, 48 years of service on SRR?

I know, steam costs real money today. I guess I am not used to seeing the whole price tag in one invoice. I am unclear, is there also some arrangement for visits to New York? Otherwise, is this solely about seeing the engine operate, even if far away?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm 

Probably the best chance this engine has of seeing active service. I wish them the best of success in raising that sum of money and hope they have some substantial backers as there's zero chance that they'll be able to raise that kind of money from the general railfan community.

If it gets that far there's very little chance it would ever leave Strasburg again as the logistics, costs and operating culture on today's railroads would make it next to impossible.

Perhaps given time they can raise a good percentage of the $ 1 million through historic restoration grants??

Let's hope they succeed.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm 

Ross, I think you hit the nail on the head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm 

co614 wrote:
Probably the best chance this engine has of seeing active service. I wish them the best of success in raising that sum of money and hope they have some substantial backers as there's zero chance that they'll be able to raise that kind of money from the general railfan community.

If it gets that far there's very little chance it would ever leave Strasburg again as the logistics, costs and operating culture on today's railroads would make it next to impossible.

Perhaps given time they can raise a good percentage of the $ 1 million through historic restoration grants??

Let's hope they succeed.

Ross Rowland

She'd make a fine addition to Uncle Wick's stable of friends if he were so inclined to help with the fundraising.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I know the reality is that there would be little chance of seeing 39 leave the Strasburg for Long Island operations or a permanent return.

But stranger things have happened. The rescue of the West Va. Northern 2-8-0s in Madley, Pa. The "temporary" return of two LNER A4s to Britain. LNER 4472 in the States, then back, then Australia, then back. ATSF 3751 at the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Strictly for the sake of being cheeky, I will point out that, recently, I discovered a long-buried sales agreement for a piece of equipment that the Strasburg Rail Road now owns. The piece in question was sold for a paltry high-three-figure sum many decades ago, and buried in the language of the sales agreement was the seller retaining the right of first refusal to buy back said item at the same price sold.

The company/organization that sold it to the Strasburg still exists. There's no reason whatsoever to think anyone, at the present time, has any reason to enforce that clause, or ever will. The Strasburg shows no signs of going away, and there's no evidence of neglect or abuse--far from it. If the issue should ever arise, however......

On to smarter considerations however: Is/was sister G5 35 still under "restoration" back on Long Island? Perhaps needed parts can be cloned twice?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 pm 

I noticed that No. 39 has a Belpaire firebox. Are there any operating locomotives in the U.S. with this style firebox? I keep thinking of a certain PRR Pacific......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 pm 

Good news for us down here in the south, once 39 is running they won't need that ugly, cramped old clunker of an N&W engine anymore..... :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 pm 

This is exciting news! Hopefully this is an addition to the roster and not a placement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:32 pm 

My father was the engineer who put her on the original display site in 1956. This is great news for me, as I never thought I'd live to see her run again. Strasburg is and would be the best location for a rebuild of any Pennsy locomotive design. I think kind words are in order for Don Fisher and Linn Moedinger. It takes vision and guts to stick out your necks like this. It sees one of the Long Island locomotives reassembled at long last, and puts the G5s where thousands of paying guests will come to see her in operation.

The Oyster Bay Rail Road Museum will hopefully initiate rebuilding their G5s (#35), using the funds in place.

Is it too much to consider 1361 might someday see a similar outcome? Let's hope not.

Let us hope good fortune favors this initiative with G5s #39!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 pm 

There have been interline passenger trains, steam and Diesel, between the Strasburg RR and the outside world. While times have changed, some of the changes are that the connecting line is now owned by Amtrak, but immanent changes to how all of the trains on that line are funded could mean that the State of Pennsylvania pays for everything, and might even wind up being the new owner. Local will, pressure, politics, and money could play a greater future role between Harrisburg and Philadelphia than on other parts of the Amtrak system. Amtrak may be less inclined to say "No" when someone else is paying for everything. Who knows what the future could bring?