It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need information, Please help!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 am 

I found this sign at the site of an old depot. The site was being excavated to build a new market place. The sign reads "NOTICE STATION GROUNDS FOR USE BY THIS COMPANY AND ITS PATRONS NOT A PUBLIC THROUGHFARE ILLINOIS CENTRAL RAILROAD COMPANY". As a relic collector i couldn't leave this piece of history behind to be destroyed, hence it has been in my collection for many years. I would like to know anything about it really, and if you had any suggestions on a new home for it.

Thanks.

Marblemanic

Attachments:
File comment: Picture of station grounds sign
railroad sign.JPG
railroad sign.JPG [ 156.76 KiB | Viewed 4033 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need information, Please help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm 

These signs evolved with the growth of each railroads law department. As non-patrons got hurt or killed on railroad property, the lawyers created a defense with the signage. They performed double duty as a warning to criminals seeking cargo from cars. Depending on state law, such a sign might elevate a breaking & entering misdemeanor into a felony.
Such a sign would be only one of several commonly seen along the tracks. There were ones on the each end of trestles and many at grade crossings, or where traditional footpaths or shortcuts took people across the railway line.
Originally, these were wooden signs nicely painted. Metal ones came with prosperity.
This sign would be welcome at most Illinois RR museums, Maybe IRM? With some cash, casting sand and metal, more could be made.

Post subject: Re: Need information, Please help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:22 pm 

Thank you very much for the information!