It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railfan Passenger Trips in Your Youth
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm 

The current article in TRAINS by Brain Buchanan telling the story of his 17-day Canadian adventure in 1977 reminded me of a much shorter trip I made with friends in high school. My adventure was a day trip from Silver Spring, MD to Harper's Ferry on Amtrak in 1972. The goal was to make the return trip in the dome of the United Aircraft Turbotrain. We spent the day wandering around Harper's Ferry, had dinner at Hilltop House and then made our way home on the Turbo. While not as extensive as Brian's trip, it was nonetheless a memorable day!

I look forward to reading further scheduled passenger train adventures, pre- and post-Amtrak or VIA.

Wesley

Attachments:
Harpers Ferry-a.jpg
Harpers Ferry-a.jpg [ 299.94 KiB | Viewed 3189 times ]

Post subject: Re: Railfan Passenger Trips in Your Youth
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:11 am 

Oh, my, oh, my, look at the clothes and hair styles!

I'll admit I didn't look any better, but I also thought a lot of things didn't look too good even then! Of course, this was especially strong after seeing "Hello, Dolly," and seeing Barbra Striesand with a "Pheobe Snow" look.

The Hilltop House sadly suffered from years of neglect and closed a year or two ago, and since then part of the hotel has collapsed. There was a big hotel group that bought the place just before the economy collapsed, but they haven't done anything with it, partially because the wanted to just about triple the size of the hotel and the local residents are all upset because they think it would bring in too much traffic (the hotel is reached through a residential section of the town with very narrow streets).

Truthfully, like the ski areas of the Catskills and the Adirondacks, and lots of other places in West Virginia and even in the West, this is a case for bringing back passenger trains. . .

(Heads for the bomb shelter under the Greenbrier. . .)