It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need proper form for fictional special instruction
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:01 pm 

There is a funny reason for this special instruction on a timetable that makes a brief appearance in a short story. This is the gist of it, but how should it be phrased? It doesn't look right to me.

Special Instruction #BOM-1: Trains designated CGX have right over all other traffic including passenger moves and NBL. When a CGX train is about to leave Cameron wye, the crew will complete all switching, proceed to the west wye switch, and call the dispatcher for a clear line to Premier Manufacturing. Dispatcher will hold all traffic clear of the Cameron wye westbound and CP MOUND eastbound until the dispatcher is properly notified that the CGX train has left its cars at Premier Manufacturing and its motive power is beyond the Premier switch. This Special Instruction is in effect as of 0001 December 26, 2002.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need proper form for fictional special instruction
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 pm 

Becky
Try something more like this:
Special Instruction #BOM-1:
[On application to the Dispatcher] Trains designated CGX shall have rights over all trains [on single track / in both directions] between the west switch of Cameron Wye (MP XX.xx, and CP MOUND (MP YY.yy). Conductor of CGX will report when work is complete at Premier Manufacturing.
GME

Last edited by Trainlawyer on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:41 pm 

Thank you! It was driving me nuts. I knew it didn't look right and couldn't put my finger on why.
The railroad's normal hotshots are military moves and a couple of fast priority freights, but even they would gladly hold up to get out of the way of the chicken processing plant's garbage cars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 am 

The trainload of debris from a poultry processing plant has priority over the military moves? I'm already enjoying the story and I haven't the faintest idea what its about.
GME

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 pm 

It's one of a series I'm putting together for Christmas. That particular one was posted on TrainNet back in 2002. The premise is that the fictional railroad (loosely based on the Ohio River and Western, had it somehow acquired a fresh bunch of crooks and been able to survive) is about to reopen the B&O Old Main through Moundsville/Rosby's/Cameron to Grafton. Unfortunately, knowing their propensity for having things go wrong, the boss wants a ceremony more or less duplicating the original track losing, on Christmas Eve a hundred and fifty years before. There is, shall we say...a memorableincident...which causes the Big Boss to rule that nobody ever has to take the chance of meeting, passing or getting near the Chicken Gut Express. You know, trains symboled CGX. If one of the hotshots gets in the way, they have no room to complain about it later because they weren't supposed to have to deal with it.

While the stories are supposed to be funny, either in a lighthearted or at least heartwarming way, I want to make sure they're as technically accurate as they need to be so they don't commit any Hollywood abominations unto railroading.