It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:45 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
To bring this topic back to light, I find it very hard to believe they're getting rid of the engines since the Lilly Belle is running again. Source? Saw it the other day from Frontierland, where I now work.

If they're getting rid of, or planning to get rid of, the steam locomotives, why go from three running engines back to four? Wouldn't it make more sense to just not use the fourth one anymore?

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:38 pm 

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 pm
Posts: 603
Location: Bucks County, PA
Next to last thread on this post, please, page 10:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/no-m ... 82/page-10

_________________
Big Jim Video Productions
Morrisville, PA

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
bigjim4life wrote:
Next to last thread on this post, please, page 10:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/no-m ... 82/page-10


Glad to hear. That's my favorite part of my new job, seeing them go by all day

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:47 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 2431
I'm hopefully optimistic after reading the "it's not going to happen" post, but I can't help but recall the numerous times I've seen something vehemently denied, only to have it happen quickly thereafter. Lets hope I'm wrong...


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:54 pm 

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Posts: 3
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
To bring this topic back to light, I find it very hard to believe they're getting rid of the engines since the Lilly Belle is running again. Source? Saw it the other day from Frontierland, where I now work.

If they're getting rid of, or planning to get rid of, the steam locomotives, why go from three running engines back to four? Wouldn't it make more sense to just not use the fourth one anymore?
:)

As a former WDWRR engineer and conductor with very strong ties to Lilly Belle (she was the locomotive that I was trained on to fire and operate), and with friends still in Disney steam maintenance and operations, I will tell you that Lilly is NOT back at the park yet. You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

I have, however, received word that Lilly is supposed to return to Florida some time before the end of the year.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:19 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:45 am
Posts: 459
Main Street Jim wrote:
You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

Thank you for the update Jim and welcome to RYPN!

_________________
--
Chris Webster
Personal Website Last Updated in 1996


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:40 pm 

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Posts: 3
Chris Webster wrote:
Main Street Jim wrote:
You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

Thank you for the update Jim and welcome to RYPN!
Thanks.

Becoming a steam train engineer - let alone a Walt Disney World Railroad engineer - was the *last* thing I had ever expected :) I worked in Magic Kingdom Attractions from 2001-2010, and worked everywhere from Frontierland to Tomorrowland. I was on the trains from 2004-2007. Those were the *best*, MOST FUN I ever had in my 44-plus years. No one operates a steam locomotive much any more, let alone 365 days a year, 7 days a week. Most steamers these days are "tourist" trains, running seasonally. Disney maintenance is top-notch in keeping those narrow-gauge 8- and 10-wheelers going.

I miss 'em somethin' awful.

Now I may not be an "expert" on trains like a lot of you; I'm just a casual fan. :) But, I respect those that keep the past alive by keeping Walt's passion alive - I'm a HUGE fan of Walt Disney, the man. The world needs more like him.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm 

Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Posts: 3
Insights from my inside source on the upcoming refurb:

1) *Most* of the 1 1/2 miles of rail is getting replaced.

2) Main Street Station will be getting new tile flooring.

3) The Indian village is getting replaced/updated, along with new scenery along the backside of the park. Will give guests something to see besides trees :)

4) Locomotives will be getting repainted. My source tells me that the current paint jobs are in *bad* shape.

5) Frontierland station will be getting a rehab. Wood is rotting, stairs are getting reworked.

6) Possibly installing the in-cab block system similar to Disneyland.

7) And all of this done in about 6 weeks :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3032
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
Main Street Jim wrote:
7) And all of this done in about 6 weeks :)


Oh, how nice it must be to have the traffic and the money to do things that good that fast. . .

And allow me to welcome you to RyPN as well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:09 am 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
Main Street Jim wrote:
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
To bring this topic back to light, I find it very hard to believe they're getting rid of the engines since the Lilly Belle is running again. Source? Saw it the other day from Frontierland, where I now work.

If they're getting rid of, or planning to get rid of, the steam locomotives, why go from three running engines back to four? Wouldn't it make more sense to just not use the fourth one anymore?
:)

As a former WDWRR engineer and conductor with very strong ties to Lilly Belle (she was the locomotive that I was trained on to fire and operate), and with friends still in Disney steam maintenance and operations, I will tell you that Lilly is NOT back at the park yet. You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

I have, however, received word that Lilly is supposed to return to Florida some time before the end of the year.


Hm. I swear I saw a green locomotive with a green cab. Ah well, eyes playing tricks on me, I guess. Thanks for the update.

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 am 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
Main Street Jim wrote:
Insights from my inside source on the upcoming refurb:

1) *Most* of the 1 1/2 miles of rail is getting replaced.

2) Main Street Station will be getting new tile flooring.

3) The Indian village is getting replaced/updated, along with new scenery along the backside of the park. Will give guests something to see besides trees :)

4) Locomotives will be getting repainted. My source tells me that the current paint jobs are in *bad* shape.

5) Frontierland station will be getting a rehab. Wood is rotting, stairs are getting reworked.

6) Possibly installing the in-cab block system similar to Disneyland.

7) And all of this done in about 6 weeks :)


I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is going to coincide with the Splash Mountain mini-refurb that's supposed to take place over four weeks this fall. Four weeks of standing in front of that area explaining why it's not open -_-

As far as the repaint, are they repainting them exactly as is or possibly changing it up?

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 965
Location: Leicester, MA.
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
Main Street Jim wrote:
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
To bring this topic back to light, I find it very hard to believe they're getting rid of the engines since the Lilly Belle is running again. Source? Saw it the other day from Frontierland, where I now work.

If they're getting rid of, or planning to get rid of, the steam locomotives, why go from three running engines back to four? Wouldn't it make more sense to just not use the fourth one anymore?
:)

As a former WDWRR engineer and conductor with very strong ties to Lilly Belle (she was the locomotive that I was trained on to fire and operate), and with friends still in Disney steam maintenance and operations, I will tell you that Lilly is NOT back at the park yet. You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

I have, however, received word that Lilly is supposed to return to Florida some time before the end of the year.


Hm. I swear I saw a green locomotive with a green cab. Ah well, eyes playing tricks on me, I guess. Thanks for the update.

That engine definetly was Roger Broggie... I only know because I was there for most of last week, and rode behind her I don't know how many times...

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
daylight4449 wrote:
Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
Main Street Jim wrote:
As a former WDWRR engineer and conductor with very strong ties to Lilly Belle (she was the locomotive that I was trained on to fire and operate), and with friends still in Disney steam maintenance and operations, I will tell you that Lilly is NOT back at the park yet. You most likely saw Roger Broggie with her green boiler and mistook her for the Lilly Belle. If indeed Lilly had returned, we'd have at least seen pictures of it and heard of a re-dedication ceremony.

I have, however, received word that Lilly is supposed to return to Florida some time before the end of the year.


Hm. I swear I saw a green locomotive with a green cab. Ah well, eyes playing tricks on me, I guess. Thanks for the update.

That engine definetly was Roger Broggie... I only know because I was there for most of last week, and rode behind her I don't know how many times...


The Walter E. Disney and the Roger E. Broggie seem to be the regular day engines, with the Roy O. Disney coming on during the busier days. Unless you can see the wheels, the defining difference between the Broggie and the Lilly Belle is the cab color (red and green, respectively).

I watch these trains go by almost everyday, so I'm picking up on a lot of details.

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:35 am 

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 475
Still with Disney and I'm starting to hear some rather interesting and exciting rumors...

_________________
Mark Z. Yerkes
Amateur Rail Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disney World (FL) Steam to go Cold
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:54 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Boyertown, PA
Paul Boschan wrote:
IF this comes to pass, I can only hope the equipment finds a second life outside Disney. It happened with the Fort Wilderness equipment, though decades after the line closed.

What might save it from a different fate than Fort Wilderness is the fact that it has an enclosed shed, therfore not exposing it to the elements. Also, for ceremonial purposes at least, I would assume they might fire up the "Walter E. Disney" (or retain it at least).

_________________
"My train of thought derailed. There were no surviviors."


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: