It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disney Foamers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am 

Back in the 1970's and 80's there was a fad involving wearing railroad patches on your jean jacket. Not just the logo of "your" railroad, but lots of them, maybe ones you've ridden, or maybe just ones you liked.

I haven't seen one of those jackets in years, guess they went out of style. I also don't recall seeing many patches for sale any more, now it's pins instead. At one time Strasburg had a gigantic collection of patches from pretty much every railroad imaginable. I haven't been there in many years but I'm guessing it's long gone.

I don't know what happened to those foamers, but I think I've discovered where some of their kids hang out. They've combined the foamer jean jacket with the motorcycle gang look and created their own club at Disneyland. From the sound of things, pretty much the only havoc they make is grabbing up all the fast passes for "It's a Small World", but it's fun to have a look at the club.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-punks-of-the-magic-kingdom

Post subject: Re: Disney Foamers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:35 pm 

Regarding patch jackets--I still have mine, but A) it doesn't fit anymore, and B) the few guys you see wearing them are mostly, shall we say, on the fringes of railfandom. One might say they've gone the way of fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror in one's car or truck.

Post subject: Re: Disney Foamers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:54 pm 

Bob Davis wrote:
Regarding patch jackets--I still have mine, but A) it doesn't fit anymore, and B) the few guys you see wearing them are mostly, shall we say, on the fringes of railfandom. One might say they've gone the way of fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror in one's car or truck.

Amen, and thank goodness for that. Patch jackets were pretty silly looking to me, even back in the day!