It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steamtown at Moscow, PA, 1987
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 am 

I just found this memorable video on You Tube of Steamtown USA's operations at Moscow, PA, on August 30th, 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx--8FHt4O0

I have to say, the "Ersatz Lackawanna" look gave the operation a glimpse back at the glory days of the DL&W. The fact this is a combo steam/diesel operation makes it feel like a time warp to the 1950s.

Also, I never knew Steamtown USA operated diesel-powered trips from Moscow to Pocono Summit.

Post subject: Re: Steamtown at Moscow, PA, 1987
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 pm 

railfan261 wrote:
I just found this memorable video on You Tube of Steamtown USA's operations at Moscow, PA, on August 30th, 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx--8FHt4O0

I have to say, the "Ersatz Lackawanna" look gave the operation a glimpse back at the glory days of the DL&W. The fact this is a combo steam/diesel operation makes it feel like a time warp to the 1950s.

Also, I never knew Steamtown USA operated diesel-powered trips from Moscow to Pocono Summit.

That's my video.

I'm YankInGA on YouTube.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I also rode in the cab of 3254 on her very last Moscow trip under the auspices of the Steamtown Foundation. The NPS took over the operation shortly after. It was my first and, to date, only steam cab ride. I didn't take so much as a still camera with me, preferring to drink in the whole experience without distractions.

They had a special $50 cab ride fare and I managed to score the last-ever ticket issued. There was another cab rider aboard that run, a woman who was related to someone at Steamtown.

3254 was a rough rider. She felt as if she had square wheels.

Check out the rest of the channel. I think you'll enjoy what's there.

Post subject: Re: Steamtown at Moscow, PA, 1987
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm 

Many thanks, yankingeorgia! I have started to check out your other videos.
Interesting to note: Steamtown NHS now has two "Lackawanna" F-3's on the property which they utilize for trains while waiting to get steam back on track. Talk about coming full circle.