It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parking in Pontiac MI station
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:16 pm 

Does anyone know where I can park near the Pontiac MI station for a day?

I am taking a SMART bus to Detroit and then return on Amtrak train #350 back to Pontiac at 2:53 PM. Not sure if the day matters, but it is a Monday.

The Amtrak web site says Pontiac station parking is for overnight only, and not day trips. I could not find any parking at the Pontiac Phoenix Center, which is the SMART bus hub on Water St about a mile from the train station. The closest parking I could find on Google was in Auburn Hills, about 4 - 5 miles away and not useful.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Parking in Pontiac MI station
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:31 am 

Birmingham. You'll thank me when your car isn't broken into.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:49 pm 

Thanks for the tip. OK, new plan. Is the Dearborn Amtrak station OK to park in?

Per Amtrak website, Dearborn has 400 parking spaces.

Actually, the purpose is to get the "mileage" from Detroit to Pontiac. Looking at the new schedule, I could take Amtrak #350 from Dearborn to Pontiac, spend about 2 1/2 hours in Pontiac, and then take Amtrak #355 back to Dearborn. Do-able?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:10 am 

I was at the Pontiac, MI station this past Monday (July 14, 2014). It is new, and the exterior is brick with large windows. The interior has high, vaulted ceilings with exposed wooden beams. There are plenty of seats, made of "euro-chic" metal. The overall appearance is bright and airy.

The station has a large, maybe 60 inch flat panel status screen that was not yet in use. There are plenty of Amtrak schedules and other tourist brochures available, but no Quik-Trak machine. There is one ticket window with room for only one person. I think it was staffed by a bus employee, but I am not certain since they left soon after the train arrived. Many of the train passengers made bus connections.

One side of the station has a parking lot with space for about 30 cars, and only a few parking spots were not in use. On the other side of the station the ground was graded and curbs were installed for another lot of about 25 more parking spots. It was not yet paved.

The station is outside of the downtown area, a 5 or 10 minute walk away. In the 2 hours I was there, I did see any issue with security.