It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mount Airy, Md 1831 planes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:31 pm 

Hello all, I've been doing some research on the planes of Mount Airy and wondered if anyone had some pictures in electronic form outside the normal books and such. Or a place to go look. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mount Airy, Md 1831 planes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I should point out that even "the normal books and such" don't actually have photos of these planes that I've seen with a cursory look. Remember that the inclined planes in question were essentially rendered redundant by a 5.5 mile line bypass with 1.5% grades completed in June 1839, so photos of the planes in action simply won't exist. It was this 1838-39 bypass, and not the inclined planes, that was itself bypassed by the "Mt. Airy Cut-Off" completed in August 1902.

Places to look for any images--most likely sketches or lithographs--would include the Maryland Historical Society, the Enoch Pratt Free Library, and even the Library of Congress. Pixctures not yet digitized might lurk in their archives. Other places would include the B&O Historical Society archives and the Maryland Rail Heritage Library, but I don't recall anything of that sort surfacing in the latter. Another resource would be Herb Harwood, but I can't imagine he has anything if they didn't even make the pages of his book "Impossible Challenge". The last, best hope would be the (basically inaccessible) B&O Railroad Museum library/archives.