It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Exursion of Tomorrow"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:27 pm 

Inspired by GM's Train of Tomorrow, http://mononrr.com/ln/tot2.jpg
With the recent uptick in mainline steam (thanks NS), and that mainline trips appear to be of the no vestibule riding type, dome cars would be a natural solution to the desire to take in a bit more. It looks to me like more domes are in use on today's excursions. Maybe not quite like Alaska RR yet but it looks as though improving the ability to take in the vista is on the rise. Have any groups embarked on dome renovations because the demand is up?

Post subject: Re: "Exursion of Tomorrow"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 am 

I would ride in the vestibule so that I could hear the steam locomotive working, not for the view. But as a railfan I'm not representative of the average customer.

-Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:47 pm 

When I become rich and famous and buy my own dome car, the first thing I'm going to do is mount external microphones and pipe the sound inside (with adjustable volume) so that you can hear the engine if you so wish.

That's always been the one thing that's missing from the otherwise excellent experience of riding in a dome car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:39 pm 

Mark, Same here. My brother and I would wage a contest to see which of us would get the blackest face, so a vestibule fairly close to the loco was key. I'm a Southern Steam Specials veteran - those trips were mostly about the locomotive up front. The nastiest we ever got was on the trip that 4501's front flue sheet cracked - we looked like coal miners after that one. The good ol days...

Somewhere it has crossed the mind of someone to audio-up a car so riders can get a dose of the working loco.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:35 pm 

Bob, wiring a car for sound would be an improvement, but I'd still prefer to use my own ears for the same reason I'd attend an Andre Previn concert. (or pick your own favorite live performer.) Some sounds, harmonics, etc. are lost in the sound system. I'm 55, but I can still hear 20khz or more.

Tim, I can relate to your contest. My standard for a good day was coming home with cinders in my ears. It's been a while and I miss it. If you ever get a chance to ride Steamtown east out of Scranton, take it. The still have open window coaches. You won't get smoked up much, but the engine sound echoing off the gorge walls is magical.

-Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:45 am 

I got a real kick out of watching the serious steam lovers on our 614 trips from Hoboken to Pt.Jervis . When we'd start out the 2 open window cars on the head end would have a face and camera sticking out of nearly every window. As the speed increased fewer and fewer could be seen and by the time we reached track speed ( 79mph) there were none. If you've ever experienced the sting of cinders hitting your face at 80mph you know why.

I did notice that a tiny minority knew enough to wear full face ski masks with goggles and as long as they kept their mouths closed tightly they were ok.

Great memories !!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 am 

Thinking back on the Southern Steam Specials (I include the NS in this because well we all know which RR started it), Dismal Swamp forever changed what my brother, dad, and I called “eating smoke”. When the heavy weights were removed from excursion service there was a precipitous drop in the number of vestibules. Now the number of cars went up, but so did the distance from the locomotive. A positive of the 40 MPH speed limit was the decrease in sting (thanks for that 614 account Ross!). Before the wreck I can remember how uncomfortable it was to get cinder blasted hauling through Doraville GA at track speed behind 611.