It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: NRHS Elects New President
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

Another inherent issue here is that by its very nature, we participate in a hobby that clings to what was. The past is the apple of our eye. How many times have you heard someone say...if only I were born in x year or things were so much better during x decade. The kind of transition that is necessary for the organization to survive is one that asks those involved to work against their own wiring. Even in times of celebration of new achievement, there are the voices who wish it were like it once was. Look at the green paint crowd or the why is their a dismal behind the steam engine types.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:16 pm 

Heavenrich wrote:
CBQ483 wrote:
The fact that the current finances of the organization are not available to any member who wishes to review them (or at least are not available to a representative of each chapter), while it may not mean anything is actually wrong, creates the impression of "hiding the bad news and keeping the laity fat and happy." It certainly does not indicate fiscal and fiduciary responsibility to me

Have you looked at the admin portion of the NRHS website recently?

It's got the 990 for 2012, an audited financial report for 2013, and a year to date data through the second quarter of 2014.

One thing Greg has insisted on is financial data be reasonably accurate before it's released and that effort sometimes takes more effort than many desire.

BTW, the Roanoke Chapter is a good example of an NRHS chapter that provides significant public services rather than being just a social club !

Bob H

Bob,
I don't dispute that that information is available now. However, that information was not available as quickly as it should have been. I know this, because I have specifically searched for it over the past couple of years. It is not simply that the data be made available, but that it be made available in a timely fashion that is a requirement for good governance. I realize that compiling this information does take time, but it should not take 6 months to determine how much money was in the accounts at the end of 2013, as long as there was reasonable, on-going effort to know what was going on in the accounts throughout the year.

Part of the duties of the Board of Directors of any organization should be knowing what is going on with the financial and physical resources of that organization. We not only track our funds throughout the year in the Roanoke Chapter (including an annual independent review), but separate members of the Board also audit the accounts that are maintained by the Treasurer periodically throughout the year. While a single Chapter may not be directly comparable to a national organization, in our case we are dealing with significant finances and complex accounting. That makes it even more critical that there be oversight and regular monitoring practices in place.

It also does not help that there is no actual announcement to the general membership when these data become available, or where the information can be found. I spent considerable effort searching the national website to locate what was there and it was not easy to find (I say this being a professional software architect and web designer).

railfanmag wrote:
CBQ483 wrote:
Much has been said about how this won't really impact the Chapters, and that is true in one sense. While I have been a member of the Roanoke Chapter, our membership has grown by more than 10% and we are holding public events, progressing on our station restoration, and are in the process of restoring more of our rolling stock to active service. However, having the mantle of a national organization can be helpful in bringing attention to our projects and activities which a local organization wouldn't be able to muster. I would hate to see the NRHS as a national organization cease to exist, but I also do not want to see it divest itself of those of us who have chosen to support it and wish to continue to do so.

You are absolutely correct here about having a national organization, and that is what the New Business Model provides. And NRHS is not "divesting" itself of those who have chosen to support it. However, from a bylaws standpoint for the "new" NRHS, it makes more sense to terminate the old connection with local organizations and re-establish it under the parameters of the new bylaws. Grandfathering and bylaws can get messy. And among the benefits of affiliating with the "new" NRHS will be the ability to say you are part of a national organization and a national stage that NRHS can provide for local projects. An affiliate will have access to a nice data base of donors who have historically been supporters of rail preservation. It all works out quite nice.

Steve Barry

Steve,
The methodology of this reorganization and the time frame that is occurring over is what I find concerning. If this is the culmination of a 5 year effort, why is so much of it occurring at the very end of the process rather than incrementally over time? While it may not be the intention, it gives the impression of an attempt to get this reorganization done quickly while the current board is still in place, thus avoiding the need to seat the incoming Board members by rearranging the structure of the organization. The method by which these proposed changes are communicated to the membership will be critical, since it could very easily become even more adversarial and antagonistic than Chapter / National relationships have been in the past. If that gets ugly, quite a few organizations and Chapters will forgo "affiliating" with national simply because of how that process is handled. That could result in even lower cash flow into National than is received currently from membership dues and make the overall financial outlook even worse than after the dues increase of last year.

While this "database of donors who have historically been supporters of rail preservation" is a nice idea, I would like to see the details thereof and the ability to actually make use of it before I would vote for becoming an affiliate. Depending on what the cost of affiliation with the proposed new National NRHS is, there will need to be significant, tangible benefits before there will be many organizations that will subscribe.

I simply feel that radically changing the structure of the organization and how individuals can be members needs to be approached with deliberation and open discourse. It would be a disservice to those longstanding members of the NRHS who have put time and effort and money into the organization for many years to do otherwise.

D. Lewis Foster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 pm 

From an outsider's perspective:

Membership-operated organizations like the NRHS should consider radical changes to their corporate governance with deliberation. Whether the proposed changes have benefits or not, can be undercut by a perception that the changes are a thinly-disguised power grab. No, not everyone will be embracing change, but any attempt to ramrod through the process only adds to the onus of illegitimacy.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 pm 

railfanmag wrote:
Perhaps the most important point to make right now is the New Business Model gives the NRHS a reason for existing in the 21st century. The social club model, while quite useful in 1935 right up until the advent of the internet, is broken -- look at any social organization and you'll see the decline across the board.

Steve, why do you view the "social club model" viewed as a negative?

I ask because Meetup.com (wikipedia), a website founded in 2002, has become so popular that the word "meetup" was added to the Oxford Dictionary! Perhaps the NRHS could rebrand/restructure its "social club model" instead of throwing it out entirely?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:35 pm 

"Perhaps the most important point to make right now is the New Business Model gives the NRHS a reason for existing in the 21st century. "

Based upon what I heard tonight, whatever the original intent, the present "reorganization" strikes back at the membership for daring to remove an incumbent.

It is as a prior post indicated, a poison pill-the annulment of a valid election but worse it is designed not only to protect entrenched interests, but to fundamentally transform (to borrow a phrase) the organization to preclude any future threat to entrenched bureaucracy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:07 am 

Chris Webster wrote:

Steve, why do you view the "social club model" viewed as a negative?

I ask because Meetup.com (wikipedia), a website founded in 2002, has become so popular that the word "meetup" was added to the Oxford Dictionary! Perhaps the NRHS could rebrand/restructure its "social club model" instead of throwing it out entirely?

A couple of things at work here. First, as John Hankey pointed out in one of his recent blog posts, maintaining membership records in a non-profit as big as the NRHS costs more than people are willing to pay. Second, meetup is something based on social networking, and our current membership is, to a large extent, social networking challenged. And for youngsters that might be interested in something like that, there is already a massive online infrastructure in place with Facebook, Trainorders, Railpictures, etc., that has already captured that market.

The "new" NRHS instead removes everything mandatory about being a member and makes it all voluntary. You can join your local club and not be required to join national. If you are in national only to get the Bulletin, you can do that cheaper under the new model by subscribing. And if you really like rail preservation but only have $10 to donate instead of $50, hey, that's okay, too. And if you hate NRHS and want to leave, we wish you well. Please give to the charity of your choice.

Steve Barry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:36 am 

http://nrhs.com/news/nrhs-reveals-detai ... ness-model

Where are the full details?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 am 

railfanmag wrote:
Second, meetup is something based on social networking, and our current membership is, to a large extent, social networking challenged.

Steve Barry FTW!

This quote should be the TL;DR for this entire thread.

I see no reason for further comment and suggest the mods close this thread on a high note. :-)

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:59 pm 

I see no terms of service violation. As a mod on the Railfan board, I'm unlocking this threat. This is a big issue, and I think vigorous debate, as long as it is civil is okay.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:06 pm 

I would like to learn how this "donor-driven" business plan for the NRHS is going to work and be funded. Their description on the NRHS website includes repeated use of the word "funding", so I would expect they are looking to act as the financial conduit between donors and recipients. So do they "earn" a share by skimming the financial traffic, and what is the purpose of retaining the publications? To let the world know who the elites are contributing to, or to publicize what a great job the NRHS and its officers are doing?

Finally, if this is what the NRHS leadership wants to do, why don't start your own non-profit that is not member-run from the onset and do that?

Trying to change a member-operated, member-elected leadership with one that is not, can be viewed, especially in light of timing, as a power grab by sore loosers. S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:23 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:

Trying to change a member-operated, member-elected leadership with one that is not, can be viewed, especially in light of timing, as a power grab by sore loosers. S

Or, as they say on Wall St., a "hostile takeover."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
I see no terms of service violation. As a mod on the Railfan board, I'm unlocking this threat. This is a big issue, and I think vigorous debate, as long as it is civil is okay.

David, my suggestion of locking the thread was a joke. Steve's summation of the problem was spot-on - and at least to me - quite funny.

I responded in social networking language and sarcasm, which apparently was misunderstood so I will clarify.

Steve Barry FTW (for the win) means Steve wrote something better than most other comments.

TL;DR (too long; don't read) means in a post or thread that drones on, just read this one lind and you will know all you need to. Steve's comment is a good TL;DR as they usually are humorous.

My suggestion to close the thread was sarcastic, but really Steve's post was so good that it would have been a great point to end on. Instead I am sure this topic will get beat into the ground RYPN-style by the usual suspects.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:40 pm 

My comment about the grant program is the fact they make so many small grants to projects with large budgets. Why not focus the grant dollars on fewer projects and have a larger impact?

Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:45 am 

wesp wrote:
My comment about the grant program is the fact they make so many small grants to projects with large budgets. Why not focus the grant dollars on fewer projects and have a larger impact?

Wesley

NRHS awards grants based on a well documented written application process.... of course, if an organization doesn't apply for a grant, it has zero chance of getting one !

Also, the maximum grant is $5,000.

Bob H

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6