It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Return of RDG 2102
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:23 pm 

The cab is not just "sitting" on the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm 

The tubes will have to come out for it's initial boiler inspection and UT.

That should not be a surprise to anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:11 pm 

What he meant was that the tubes were crap and nedd to be replaced. I don't claim to actually know what is going on, I'm just reporting what I have been told incasual conversation, I apologize for any and all inaccuracies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 pm 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
While I don't pretend to know what the Reading & Northern folks are thinking, I can't imagine they plan to use 2102 on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic trains out of Jim Thorpe. Since they are running ALL excursions under the LGS banner these days, they may well be using profits from that operation to fund the work on 2102. By restoring 2102 to service, they could operate their seasonal excursion trains out of Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe and/or from Jim Thorpe to Pittston without a diesel helper as is currently the case with 425. Again, let me emphasize that I have no inside information -- this is just theory on my part.

The R&N is blessed with ownership of some strategically placed wyes in addition to the Mauch Chunk turntable. These assets, along with their fleet of diesels, have allowed 4-6-2 #425 to roam the system. While she fits on the Mauch Chunk table by herself, she is too long with her canteen car (or "jug" in local parlance). Given the number of places she has run with a jug, I think they already have a pretty good idea of what to do with a bigger locomotive on the Lehigh Division.

I also agree that she's probably not being thought of as power for the short Penn Haven trips that make up the bulk of the LGSRY departures. In her earlier stint under Mr. Muller's ownership she did pinch hit on the Temple-Hamburg short haul trains, but was more often used on the much longer excursion consists the R&N would run.

Of course, she has been out of service during the Lehigh Division revival, so there are many places for her to run where she hasn't been yet (or hasn't been in decades).

The R&N remains one of the precious few places that owns steam locomotives and as a place to run them on mainline track.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 pm 

The 425 AND auxiliary tender fit on the Jim Thorpe turntable by a few inches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:10 pm 

I don't think she put on too many miles on the west coast. It may be that the flues can be retained depending on inspection. The tubes will need to be removed - if they are not in bad shape and have a pedigree from their installation, they can perhaps be recycled in smaller locomotives. Tubes are consumable components and not to be a cause of concern, but an expected part of any 15 year overhaul. There's a chance she's in decent shape overall despite a lot of talk. I'm looking forward to finding out more as the job progresses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:17 pm 

Dave wrote:
I don't think she put on too many miles on the west coast. It may be that the flues can be retained depending on inspection. The tubes will need to be removed - if they are not in bad shape and have a pedigree from their installation, they can perhaps be recycled in smaller locomotives. Tubes are consumable components and not to be a cause of concern, but an expected part of any 15 year overhaul. There's a chance she's in decent shape overall despite a lot of talk. I'm looking forward to finding out more as the job progresses.

West Coast? I imagine you're thinking of 2100 here, and not 2102...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 pm 

Lets return to reality. Four Facts:

The 2102 isn't owned by a museum, historical group or tourist railroad. The 2102 is owned by a very wealthy individual who can afford to cost to place it back in service if he sees fit on a railroad he also owns. He'll either do it or he won't.

Ridership on passenger trains isn't necessary to pay for it. It can be done whether or not freight business is up or down.

The only people who will know what it needs are the people who are working on it, not those who heard this or heard that.

When or if it gets done, he'll use it whenever and for whatever he wants. That could be anything from coal trains to caboose rides or even just to blow the whistle every day at 5pm ala the Flinstones.

I'll consider myself fortunate to be witness to any version of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:53 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Yes, but wealthy people don't stay wealthy by doing fiscally irresponsible things.

I recently was having lunch with a fellow volunteer at a place we do work at, where I noticed he was eating, as part of his lunch, snack food of a "house brand" only sold in one discount store chain. I happen to know that not only did he do well in his career, but his wife not long ago won a considerable sum of money in a Powerball lottery by drawing five of six numbers--he's never said, but I understood the amount in question to be in six figures, dollar-wise. I discretely kidded him when everyone else was out of earshot, "I thought you guys had enough money that you didn't have to shop at [store chain]!"

He leaned over with a conspiratorial twinkle in his eye and replied, "We have money BECAUSE we shop at [store chain]!!"

I walked into my "local" where the barkeep pointed to me amidst a long debate with others what car they would get if one won the lottery. I hemmed and hawed--where am I driving? Where am I living? I was roundly mocked when I suggested a Jeep Liberty or Cherokee. "Look, you wanted me to pick a daily driver. I don't want to have to hide an expensive car. I like driving. I'm a practical man, OK? I'd want to spend money on other things for benevolent reasons instead!" They were having none of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:44 am 

Maybe Andy is contemplating what may be possible should he win his lawsuit. Not pulling for any one side personally, just an observation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:14 am 

SteamPWR wrote:
The 425 AND auxiliary tender fit on the Jim Thorpe turntable by a few inches.

Thank you for pointing that out. I stand corrected. With the ex RDG canteen she fits, with the ex PRR jug she did not, correct? I seem to recall trips to JT before the shorter canteen where she leave town to turn on the wye at Haucks, yes?

Thanks!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 am 

Dave Crosby hit the nail on the head. This is entirely one mans decision and his alone. One of the upsides of being the only shareholder is that he doesn't have to convince others of his decisions....only himself.

Perhaps, just maybe, when he's given the cost estimate for bringing her back to life he'll decide that all things considered the Strange Inheritance lady is right and he'll say yes???

Sure would be nice to see her run again so let's hope it happens.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm 

Sure would be nice to see a certain ex-C&O Greenbrier steaming again too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:54 pm 

2100 and 2102 dream trip
Hey here is a trip for $10. Jenkintown to Gettysburg round trip
start - 2102 from Jenkintown, up the Bethlehem branch over the cross line to Reading, pick up 2100 then double head over to Gettysburg. 19 or 20 Open window coaches, every window open, Joe Fischer greeting passengers like a king.
Turn engines on the Y, service. while passengers visit battlefield with complementary bus tour. Get free apple Juice from Musselmans. reassemble train and off we go home except we are an hour late. go like the wind on the cross line, drop the T-1's at Reading, pick up FP-7's for return. Oh wait, that was 1960/61. Shame most of this is gone.
The Reading could put on a show for Rail Fans and general tourists.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:12 pm 

I can't help but wonder what affect this project may have on the momentum of the 2100 project. Though it's a great thought for a railfan to think that two T-1s may be eventually in service again at the same time, this announcement - though rather cryptic still - has to take some of the wind out of the 2100 camp's sails. I hope for their sake that the fundraising still continues in a positive direction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next