It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: The Return of RDG 2102
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 am 

James B, You're missing the main point, that being that for the amount of money it would have taken to bring the 2101 back to life we could ( and did) bring a MUCH more modern machine back to life. As explained earlier the operating difference between an all roller bearing engine like the 614 and friction bearing engines like the T-1's is night and day.

Based upon my extensive real life experiences I would never want to again operate a non roller bearing engine in mainline service....EVER !!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:11 pm 

To answer James' question a bit more directly:

The answer TODAY is almost certainly 'yes'. I have also seen a couple of other reports that indicate that actual metallurgical damage to the boiler and firebox of the locomotive itself should not be severe.

The tender damage, as Ross indicated, doesn't 'count' in that it was not the result of the fire conditions at the locomotive, but from a large mass of steam coal burning completely while confined by sheet metal that was never intended to see higher than ambient temperature.

I have no hesitation in saying Ross was correct in 'taking' 614 in place of 2021, and that he is correct in the value of roller bearings on a working long-distance excursion engine supported by private interests. It might be, and probably as things turn out will be, interesting to see what the effect of modern tribology, working Hennessy lubricators, etc. on a restored T-1 will be ... but not NEARLY as interesting as seeing a locomotive with Timken rods and full axle roller bearings returned to service... ahem. Yes. As soon as a mission can be found to do so...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 am 

Thanks Mr. Rowland and Mr. Ellsworth. I was just asking as I do like doing NDT inspections and an familiar with some of the newer techniques that I was taught and instructed on as a greenhorn aircraft mechanic. Some of us weren't even thought of when 2101 went thru her ordeal in KY, and I appreciate the help you gave this inquiring mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6