It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Return of RDG 2102
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:23 am 

I don't think we can say "ready to go" just yet, but she has enjoyed long periods of indoor storage so we CAN say that at least she hasn't gotten any worse since 1991. I think all four of the T1s racked up a ton of miles after they left any real shopping while at the Reading so I am sure they will have to contend with some heavy wear issues. Nothing that cubic dollars can't fix.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:34 am 

co614 wrote:
Should he end up running/owning that rr it would be an appropriate place to run big steam. HOWEVER, it would require his working out a cooperative agreement with Steamtown ( use of boarding depot, parking etc.) even if all the equipment were his and that could be an issue?

Ross Rowland

I am sure that either an agreement would be reached or an alternate boarding site could be secured. Now, the DL is bound by basically a non-compete clause stating that they are not allowed to run steam excursions on the line. I don't know if this is a condition that was imposed by the park in their usage contract with the DL, or one that the rail authority instituted on their own, but in either case if Andy manages to upset the apple cart, then that little rule will likely soon follow. Maybe another reason why all steam has been shifted under the Lehigh Gorge banner, seeing as how the Fort Wayne group had no issues...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:06 am 

gcrr wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when did the 2102 last steam? I saw one reference to 10/26/1991. Did it just run out of flue time under the old regs or was there a known problem that took it out of service.

This has piqued my interest as well. I've long heard rumors that the T-1 boilers were susceptible to circumferential seam issues - namely at the front tube sheet. Anyone who has seen a T-1 stripped down the boiler shell will notice the egregiously long smokebox course. My guess, without knowing anything of the Reading (other than being extremely frugal) or their construction standards was that this was an adaptation born from converting a portion of their consolidations to T-1 Northerns. If the rumor regarding the seam being plagued with issues (leaks) is true, I wonder if it was due the unusually long smokebox course placing undue stress at the seam? Someone with more intimate knowledge of the Reading or 2102 could perhaps clarify this.

DC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 am 

SteamPWR wrote:
The 425 has 7 years left on the clock. I can tell you his decision to work on the 2102 has nothing to do with the happenings of the 2100.

Perhaps so, but that doesn't necessarily explain away the interest in acquiring the 2100 when it was discovered that ASR would be moving it.

KL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:27 am 

Like button

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:46 pm 

jasonsobczynski wrote:
Like button

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
SteamPWR wrote:
The 425 has 7 years left on the clock. I can tell you his decision to work on the 2102 has nothing to do with the happenings of the 2100.

Perhaps so, but that doesn't necessarily explain away the interest in acquiring the 2100 when it was discovered that ASR would be moving it.

KL

Are you saying that Andy was interested in buying the 2100?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:13 pm 

Yea, that makes a lot of sense....not !!! He's about to make a considered judgement on whether or not he's going to spend serious amounts of his money to restore an engine he'll use a few times a year and now your hallucinating that he'd be interested in adding another needing a lot of work to the equation !!!

Don't know what some of you are smoking...but it must be powerful stuff !!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Some of us have watched the behavior of automobile/automotive/motorcycle collectors over the years. Those of us who have have seen every imaginable irrationality, from the guy who won't sell a car that hasn't been moved out of the garage in in sixty years (Jay Leno finally got that 1927 Dusenberg Model X, one of only thirteen built and four left) to the guy who filled trailer after trailer with new engines straight from the factory as GM paid him to re-engine the cars in the 1970s because they were too big and ate now-expensive gas (a grand total of 23 trailers, all welded shut). I personally knew a former racer that had title to nine vehicles and was driving a long-term rental because none of the nine were roadworthy or appropriate (you can do anything you want with a 500hp Jeep CJ-5 except pass a gas station without stopping).

I don't care who the guy is or how well you know him. If he has any proclivity towards the irrationality--and owning two steam locomotives and a private railroad car means he instantly qualifies--never say "never." >;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:47 pm 

Must be really good stuff !!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 pm 

I can't speak for the 2102 camp, but I can say that the 2100 camp would be quite happy to work with Mr. Muller for some double headed passenger and/or freight trains. When the time comes and both groups are ready, conversations will be had with a cooperative goal in mind. Until then, we're going to keep pushing forward with our project. A project, I'm happy to say, that is coming along nicely.
Thanks,
Russ Swinnerton
American Steam Railroad Preservation Assn.
Conrail Historical Society.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:54 pm 

As an observer and fan of all involved, I sincerely hope that the spirit of cooperation prevails. If the future of steam is to flourish, it will be through teamwork not rivalry.

As a side note, is it reasonable to think that teaming up on parts/supplies/etc. that both locomotives need would keep costs in check and benefit both through information sharing? Example being that if both need the same part and they wish to have it farmed out that by placing their orders with the same shop they might get a lower individual price?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:08 pm 

First 2100, then 2102? In a matter of 9 months? What a coincidence. Anyways, sounds like we've got another good project. From what I've seen, it seems like 2102 is probably in need of a 1472 inspection, minimum. She only last operated 25 years ago, and has been stored in a roundhouse for much of that time. She needs work, but not nearly as much as other engines, *cough* 2124 If we've got juicy stories like this now, I can't wait to see what we have in April.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:20 pm 

Andy said in 2013 that as soon as 425 was ok that he would move onto seeing what could be done with the T1. 425 went through a number of repairs to get her reliable and now here we are in 2016. No coincidence. Andy himself has operated her and I am sure that he would love to do so again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 pm 

Just one more to add to our list of "Never say never" locomotives. They ain't razor blades yet.

If I were keeping score over the past 2 years, I'm counting at least 4 eastern mainline locomotives that people having said something to the effect of 'Nope, not gonna happen...' about. One N&W. One Pennsy. Two Reading.

And while noted earlier that most of the LGSR excursions are relatively short, and moreover, diesel-powered, it turns out that the 100k passengers last year was a big part of the decision after all.

Matt Fisher wrote:
Impressive ridership
numbers along with the amount of teamwork and determination by employees of the railroad has made it
a perfect time to begin working on 2102.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next