It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why you should spend 5 minuts on an "ignorant junior foamer"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 pm 

5 minutes answering an "ignorant junior foamer" is never wasted. You have no idea who you are blowing off. What if Bill Gates' son's best friend is that junior foamer? Get a grip! How many museums would be around today if they considered ignorant young fans too much trouble to deal with? That is the path to oblivion.

True, railfans do not pay the bills. You need to cater to the general public but it is the fans that are going to do the work.

Post subject: Re: Why you should spend 5 minuts on an "ignorant junior foa
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:12 pm 

Whoa. Calm down, John T. Take your meds, or at least put on your reading glasses.

The adjective used in the thread in question is not "ignorant." People who are ignorant simply lack knowledge, and are therefore capable of being educated.

In fact, I used the term "incorrigible." Look it up. The entire discussion in question exemplified a person who is incorrigible. All of Bill Gates' money would not alter that fact.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:51 pm 

George Jackson Churchward wrote:
Whoa. Calm down, John T. Take your meds, or at least put on your reading glasses.

The adjective used in the thread in question is not "ignorant." People who are ignorant simply lack knowledge, and are therefore capable of being educated.

In fact, I used the term "incorrigible." Look it up. The entire discussion in question exemplified a person who is incorrigible. All of Bill Gates' money would not alter that fact.

It started off generally swell till the horde arrived and started yelling havoc. Having spent my life partly abroad I've seen a part of world George not many have ever ventured in their lifetime. I've experienced the lowest acts of humanity a man can do to another man and it still rings clear in my head. I'll admit I'm very cyncial, bitter, angry and often frustrated with my life but never go after my past. I have enough apologies to go around and people to pay back for my own faults. I just try to make the most of it, doing the best I can to give back to my country sometimes in the form of helping individuals like yourself. The work I do with rail preservation (AC&Y 505, no .5106) I conduct out of the generosity in my heart sometimes with no prior thought whatsoever. When I say I'd do anything to help others I mean it though you may not always see it. Maybe I should stick to politics with my emotions and forget all of this, what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:08 am 

George Jackson Churchward wrote:

Apparently I must be reading a different thread than Mr. Churchward. I saw no evidence of "incorrigible" behavior, as defined by Merriam-Webster to be behavior or tendencies "incapable of being corrected or amended." Certainly a rushed conclusion, especially given Mr. Wolk's history of positive contributions to railway preservation. Everyone has moments of judgement lapse which do not define an individual let alone an entire population. While I do not agree with Mr. Wolk's assessment of RMNE's priorities based off of an artifact scrapped long ago, I will not use such small statements as evidence for the "incorrigibleness" of youth in railway preservation nor to demean Mr. Wolk's preservation character as a whole. I counter that your dedicated animosity towards the youth, the future preservationists, ironically makes you the most incorrigible poster in the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 am 

[quote="wmfastfreight"]I will not use such small statements as evidence for the "incorrigibleness" of youth in railway preservation nor to demean Mr. Wolk's preservation character as a whole. I counter that your dedicated animosity towards the youth, the future preservationists, ironically makes [i]you[/i] the most incorrigible poster in the discussion.[/quote]

Well, as the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Nothing was said about "the incorrigibleness of youth in general" until you put those words in my mouth, along with the accusation of "dedicated animosity." Stop making up facts in order to support your opinion.

While I certainly couldn't disagree that some of "the youth" will become future preservationists, as a veteran teacher friend said recently, "you can't save them all." Just as one must occasionally determine that a derelict switch engine is not a worthwhile preservation candidate, some presumptive "future preservationists" are worth the effort to change or correct, others not so much. I decided long ago that volunteer-operated railroad museums are not actually the same thing as remedial institutions or halfway houses despite occasional appearances to the contrary, and those persons - youth or otherwise - who tend to blur that line are not always the best candidates either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:32 am 

Ahh yes, the facts. Such as the fact that my post stated "I will not use such small statements as evidence...", merely a statement of my own values and not a representation of yours. All of this while I try to find incorrigibleness on the part of Mr. Wolk in the original post that would warrant one to refer to him as an "incorrigible junior foamer" who is not worthy of five minutes spent responding to his "nonsense." When judgement lapses are met with namecalling, people tend to walk away as Mr. Wolk suggested in his most recent post. It seems counterproductive to shoo off young preservationists on preservation website, doesn't it?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]