It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading 2101: Could she be restored?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 am 

Hello Everyone.
I’ve been thinking about engines I'd like to see return to service, and one of those is Reading 2101. The poor thing has been rusting away at the B&O Railroad museum for YEARS now, and that's just plum sad. With both 2100 and 2102 being restored to operating condition, would it be viable to restore Reading 2101 to operating condition?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Reading 2101: Could she be restored?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:35 am 

Anything can be restored with the right amount of cubic dollars, but why? There are, as you pointed out, already two T1s under restoration and there is a third on static display at SNHS. As a locomotive class, the Reading T1 is well represented. I say stabilize her and let it be. Your money would be better spent as a donation towards the 2100 group, or on a ticket for the R&N.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am 

There's been a lot of politics with the 2101since she was out west and even when she came to Cleveland. Last I checked about 3 weeks ago, her tender and water canteen were still in the yard along the fence on the property. As far as I know (since I haven't been able to go to an open house due to working Saturdays), the engine itself is still in the roundhouse. I wouldn't say it's rusting away, but couldn't give you an update on 2101's restoration status.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:59 am 

jettrainfan wrote:
There's been a lot of politics with the 2101since she was out west and even when she came to Cleveland. Last I checked about 3 weeks ago, her tender and water canteen were still in the yard along the fence on the property. As far as I know (since I haven't been able to go to an open house due to working Saturdays), the engine itself is still in the roundhouse. I wouldn't say it's rusting away, but couldn't give you an update on 2101's restoration status.

You are thinking of Reading 2100. 2101 was part of the American Freedom train and later the Chessie Steam Special. She was involved in a roundhouse fire in 1979 and was then traded to the B&O museum in Baltimore (where she still resides) for C&O 614.

Last edited by 6-18003 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 pm 

My bad, I understand what he means by rusting away now. Sorry about that!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

That's so sad! 2101 looked pretty good back in the fall of 79. Almost 40 years with little to no attention makes a big difference. My children look a lot different now, too.

Attachments:
179D0240.JPG
179D0240.JPG [ 77.96 KiB | Viewed 6886 times ]
179D0235.JPG
179D0235.JPG [ 62.05 KiB | Viewed 6886 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:12 pm 

Nice photos of the 2101 when she was initially put on display at the B&O RR Museum. Visited there this winter and she is definitely worse for wear. A good paint job would be a nice thing to do for an engine that really helped kick off the modern mainline excursion industry in the northeast.

Anything is restorable with enough interest and enough money, but is there a justifiable business plan that makes sense to get a 3rd Reading T-1 in service? It's a great thought and the mental image of 2100, 2101 and 2102 all hot, and lined up side by side is an impressive one, no doubt.

Regarding the observations from Cleveland, the tenders are sitting outside because there is no room inside the roundhouse and they really don't need to be inside right now while work is ongoing on the 2100.

My suggestion is to throw any current interest or support behind the ones that are currently undergoing restoration. ASR and Fireup2100.org would be a good place to start, IMO, where you can join ASR and contribute your own time and get your hands on a full size 4-8-4, or make a cash donation to help accelerate the pace of the work on the firebox which is moving right along this spring. Both side sheets are underway and nearly complete, the mud ring rivets are on hand and the staybolt material is about to be ordered.

Check out our FB page to see regular updates.
https://www.facebook.com/americansteam/

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ASR VP and 2100 Project Manager

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:15 pm 

Rob Gardner wrote:
Nice photos of the 2101 when she was initially put on display at the B&O RR Museum. Visited there this winter and she is definitely worse for wear. A good paint job would be a nice thing to do for an engine that really helped kick off the modern mainline excursion industry in the northeast.

Anything is restorable with enough interest and enough money, but is there a justifiable business plan that makes sense to get a 3rd Reading T-1 in service? It's a great thought and the mental image of 2100, 2101 and 2102 all hot, and lined up side by side is an impressive one, no doubt.

Regarding the observations from Cleveland, the tenders are sitting outside because there is no room inside the roundhouse and they really don't need to be inside right now while work is ongoing on the 2100.

My suggestion is to throw any current interest or support behind the ones that are currently undergoing restoration. ASR and Fireup2100.org would be a good place to start, IMO, where you can join ASR and contribute your own time and get your hands on a full size 4-8-4, or make a cash donation to help accelerate the pace of the work on the firebox which is moving right along this spring. Both side sheets are underway and nearly complete, the mud ring rivets are on hand and the staybolt material is about to be ordered.

Check out our FB page to see regular updates.
https://www.facebook.com/americansteam/

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ASR VP and 2100 Project Manager

Well, If I do decide to restore the thing, I promise 2100 will get her original Tender back. ;)

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 am 

Yes, she could be, and I'd love to see her as a Reading locomotive once more. No, she won't be, as two Reading T's are closer to running today, and a huge field of more exciting choices come before 2101.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:53 pm 

The '01 is one of my favorite locomotives, having worked on her on the Freedom Train as well as the Chessie Steam Specials.

Could she be restored? Well sure, you can do anything if you throw cubic money at it. "Jack up the whistle and drive a new locomotive under it."

Should she be restored? Cosmetically, yes, indeed, she deserves being repainted and put into good condition. Restored to operation? No, there's no reason to do that when we have 2 nearly operation Reading T1's that aren't running but easily could be.