It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pennsylvania M1b 6755: Restoration Canidate
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm 

Hey Everyone, I've begun doing the research to build my new Y6-b (found a phelthera of blueprints) and While I was doing that, I came up with the perfect restoration to operation candidate: Pennsylvania Railroad M1b #6755! The fact that these engines were mixed traffic engines AND could pull a lot at high speeds makes it an almost perfect candidate for restoration to operation for use on the mainline. What do y'all think?

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania M1b 6755: Restoration Canidate
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:14 pm 

I think you had too much sugared cereal at breakfast.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I think you had too much sugared cereal at breakfast.

Okay...

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 pm 

yeah well sounds more logical on terms of size and weight but what is its condition? it has been sitting outdoors for decades and rust does takes it toll. far as I know their fireboxes are a bigger headache than other fireboxes.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Simple fact:

Under current Pa. Historic & Museum Commission policy, you're simply NOT going to have a PRR steam loco at the RR Museum of Pa. leave the Museum for operation.

And the past leases of 1223 and "7002" are irrelevant to the discussion. What matters is CURRENT policy. Now, that could certainly change over time (as it finally did with the library archives, for example, allowing them to deaccession duplicate books from established intact "collections" donated by others)........... but I think to get 6755 out would take an Act of God co-signed by Allah, Krishna, Buddha, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

I can guarantee no locomotive is coming out of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania under its own power.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:10 pm 

The Railroad Museum of PA will never allow a steam locomotive to loose most of its originality to be brought up to modern standards. The 6755 is in terrible shape, as it has been outside for many years without its boiler jacketing. Last time I saw her which was about a month or two ago, she was covered in rust and holes. If Strasburg couldn’t put new boilers on 1223 or 7002 for modern FRA standards, there is no way they would allow for a full boiler rebuild. They are going to cosmetically restore her and 4 others for indoor display. Don’t forget that 4 exPRR and LIRR steamers are planned to be restored. The LIRR 39 and 35, PRR 1361, and the 5550 build. I hate to say it, but the locomotives that we’re part of the Northumberland collection will sadly never see the high iron again unless a millionaire comes along and offers them a great amount of money. Honestly I would stop beating a dead horse tweetsie12. I would rather see a loco ogives that needs restoration get it, then restore one that is already stabilized and can be saved for future generations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

Instead of posting nonsense, find a park locomotive to which you can offer some positive energy.