It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a new kids show
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm 

Okay before you criticize me hear me out. I am personally a amateur writer and I'm writing a kids show about talking trains. It does have many similarities to Thomas and Friends but there are 10 key differences between my series and Thomas'

1, there's no narrator it's done with voice actors

2, it's takes place in the U.S.

3, it's not on a island

4, it takes place in the 20's-60's

5, there's 5 main characters that are a mix in both male/female. new ones later on.

6, it's grounded

7, the rolling stock don't talk or cause trouble

8, more interactions between the engines and there crews

9, stories taken throughout history from the early days to the latest and put them into this certain time period.

10, the engines from the beginning do get bumped from mainline work to branch line work.

I'm pretty sure that this series will never see the light of day but I find it a fun project. I put this up because I would like to some feedback from you guys and also on a personal note. Would you ever have your kids watch this show if it would become a show. I can tell you more about it after getting some feedback. Also I'm looking for a title for this series if you have any ideas please tell me. or you have ideas for some episodes please tell me.

Post subject: Re: a new kids show
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:08 pm 

How about an episode detailing the heroism of C&NW Telegraph Operator/Station Agent KATE SHELLY ?

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 pm 

what was the story?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 pm 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Shelley

Kate Shelley saved the lives of up to about 200 people, depending on how many would have died if the train had plunged into the Honey Creek.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 am 

I do recall you were in this discussion, thought it might have something for you.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36158

What you're proposing could be good, but I do wish we could get beyond the schoolyard set!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:19 pm 

That's a neat idea! The Railway Series and Classic Thomas TV series was kinda like that. (minus the no narrator and voice acting.) I'm sure the Rev. Awdry would love it!

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 am 

the five main characters of the show will be

Casey based a PRR A5 0-4-0 who works in the main rail yard. kind and helpful

Eris based on a Erie K2 4-6-2 main passenger loco. Egotistical love express but doesn't like freight but she's fine with freight if it's necessary

Bo based on a B&O S1 2-10-2 his crew calls him big 6. main freight engine loves to show off his strength

Micheal based on a B&O Q2aa 2-8-2 mixed traffic. kind and like to help out

Shayla based on a 3truck shay. she's wise and friendly. she came to the Commodore's railroad after her line closed after the line was washed by a flood. her crew calls her "ole girl" since they go way back. and she helps Casey in the rail yard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:59 pm 

When I read this for the first time, it made me revisit a concept I had for a railroad book series (Which I'm actually working on.) I made a character named “Chugga Chugga Choo Choo” when I was little (I wasn't too good at naming things back then). He was loosely based off of Thomas the Tank Engine, and had buffers for hands. I redeveloped the stories a few times, with the character's second incarnation being “Little Train”, named after a knockoff Thomas the Tank Engine Toy, in 5th grade. Then, there was “Samuel the Steam Engine,” Which I revisited late last year and redeveloped into “Simon the Switcher.” While the first 3 incarnations of the stories took place in a Chuggington-esqe cartoon world called “Choo Choo City,” For this incarnation, I went for a more realistic world in the style of the Railway Series. The stories take place on a fictional short line called the “Carolina and West Mountain,” and are Set between the 1920's and 1940's. The line ran from Yadkinville to Boone, where it interchanged with the ET&WNC (My favorite railroad. :D). I've came up with a few characters, including some characters redeveloped from the “Little Train” Era of my stories:

Simon: based off of a USRA 0-6-0 Switcher, who is a kind and hardworking engine who loves nothing more than switching cars. Bought new by the railroad around 1920.

Angus: based off of an H.K. Porter 0-4-0 Industrial Tank Engine from the 1800’s, he was redeveloped from being a Percy-Clone, to a wisecracking, wise, sharp, and caring old cowboy who originally worked in a mine somewhere in Texas.

Sally: Based off a Lima B class 2-Truck Shay, Who is a determined, kind, and sympathetic engine with a soft spot for nature and the forest. She was bought from a lumber company in West Virginia in 1918 to help pull lumber trains.

Hunley: Based off of a USRA Light Pacific, Who is stoic and respectful of his colleagues, and has a great admiration for Switchers like Simon. Built new for the railroad as their main passenger locomotive in 1919.

Andy: Based off of a USRA Light Mikado, Who an arrogant, blunt and stubborn with a strong distaste for passenger trains, which he likes to ensure vocally, But is a hard-working and obident nontheless.

Johnny: Based off of an Illinois Central 0-8-0, who is a goofy, fun-loving engine, but never really liked to work until he was reprimanded for it. He’s still a bit lazy. Bought from the Illinois Central around 1925.

Mr. Haga, Based off of my Grandfather, who got me into trains in the first place, he's the Fat Controller character of this series, who is a kind and loving man who treats everyone he comes across with kindness and respect. Has 3 daughters named Amy (My Aunt), Julie (My Mom), and Jessica (My other Aunt.)

The stories will be written similarly to the Railway series, with every little thing grounded in reality.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:30 pm 

I fail to see any trains with faces shows ever returning; nobody except socially awkward 15-year-olds wants to see thomas return