It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How I Became a Lifelong Railfan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am 

Growing up with a father who didn't care much for the railroad, Glen Brewer writes about how his father influenced the making of a young railroad enthusiast.

http://thetracksidephotographer.com/202 ... g-railfan/

Edd Fuller, Editor
The Trackside Photographer
http://thetracksidephotographer.com/

Post subject: Re: How I Became a Lifelong Railfan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 am 

My dad was an airline pilot. My granddad was a logger and locomotive engineer. He later ended his working life as hostler for California Western in Fort Bragg, CA.

Dad had an interest in all things mechanical and noticed in the mid 1950s that steam was being replaced by diesels. He took me on a couple of Saturday hikes over the nearby SP Vasona Branch, which left the mainline at California Avenue in Palo Alto. He knew the various wheel arrangements and pointed out the differences to me. We got to see a Lima built Mikado on one of the trips. Another time on a gold panning expedition around 1955 or '56, we happened to come along a short train of empty log cars being pulled by 2-6-2 number 8. We followed it until the rails and road diverged. It was Clover Valley Lbr. Co. in Plumas County, CA.

My dad also supported my early attempts at photography and gave me my first 35mm camera for Christmas in 1965. I have him to thank for my interest in the hobby.