It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Locos in Profile: American Series Fundraiser
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:11 pm 

British YouTuber Chris Eden Green has launched a fundraising appeal to fund a trip to the US to film a series on various steam engines in our nation which he explains in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVRrtZy-JYw&t=2s

The base crowd funding goal is £5,000 British pounds (nearly $7000 USD) to visit Youngstown Steel Heritage and film their narrow gauge 0-4-0T's. At £10,000 they can expand their plans to include the steam engine on the Mt. Washington Cog Railway as well as the Two Footer Forneys, at £15,000 the various DRGW narrow gauge Mikados would be added to the list along with a sampling of various 4-4-0's, at £20,000 plans would expand to include Shay locomotives and at £30,000 the series would also attempt to film the UP Big Boy, Sierra Railway 3 and the various mainline Berkshires in operation. Eden Green's website has various reward platforms, I.E. donating money now can give individuals and organizations their names in the credits along with preordering the eventual digital releases and Blu Ray discs for the endeavor. Most of the cost though is going to supporting the filming crew's travel back and forth between the UK and the US, including insurance, film equipment, travel and lodging.

In addition the fundraiser has said that any additional locomotive can be added to their schedule for £5,000; so any large organization with money in the budget for a large donation to the crowd funding drive can in turn request that the series include their steam locomotive in the series. Clearly that is not a cheap proposition, but if any organization has grant money they need to spend somehow on advertising that is one way to use it to ensure their steam engine is featured in the series and reaches an international audience. Regardless, if the SLIPs crew expands their goals past £30,000 as the video explains they might add more locomotives to the series as interest dictates. Release date for the finished series is aimed for hopefully Christmas 2022.

As of my last check, the fundraiser has already raised £2170 as of today (having only been open since yesterday); making it likely that at the very least the base tiers will be funded. Steam Locomotives in Profile is one of the most interesting "amateur" steam focused series out there, and honestly I am super excited just as a fan to see an American focused season will take place considering the exhaustive work the series has already done in the UK and western Europe. I think honestly the current goal is a really solid "sampler platter" of American steam, regarding the limitations of a British film crew making it and having to travel trans-Atlantic to shoot it; although I would love to see the fundraiser expand past its initial goals and allow filming of even more US locomotives (I would love to see some standard gauge Consolidations, Pacifics or more Ten-Wheelers featured just for some variety's sake just to showcase the more "mundane" side of US steam beyond just our more famous engines like Big Boy). So yes, I personally think this is a cause worth supporting and have already donated some cash to the effort. So certainly I think its a cause worth checking out for everyone on this forum.