It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would need to be built new to restore N&W 1218?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 pm 

I know people talk about how key parts of 1218 would need to be replaced. But what I want to know is which parts exactly? I often hear most of the new parts would need to be for the boiler.

Post subject: Re: What would need to be built new to restore N&W 1218?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:59 pm 

Can’t answer your question but I just saw 1218 a couple days ago and the running gear looked to be in great shape.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:56 pm 

Hi - As I am aware, all of its parts are stored inside the boiler, so potentially nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:37 pm 

I heard that years ago, while 1218 was under restoration in the mid 90's when NS pulled the plug on the steam program that the shops had stored parts in a boxcar. Somehow, said boxcar was lost after a confusion in communication and that the 1218 was left as an empty boiler before she was donated. Was any of this story true? And if so, did they find the boxcar?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:01 am 

My understanding was the firebox was being replaced when work was stopped. The new sections are tacked in place but not completely welded. Components which were unique to the 1218 were stored in the boxcar. I’d guess this included things like throttle components, grates, and maybe the new staybolts. I would highly doubt this was lost.

A full set of new tubes and flues was on hand in the shop but these were sold at the auction, and apparently wound up going to scrap.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:23 am 

An expert with the restoration of the 1218 (name withheld to preserve sanity) told me authoritatively, her parts are stored in the boiler. There is constant talk about restoring the "A", but not money has been brought forth. It is entirely possible, just not backed by Norfolk Southern or any funding agency. Nothing essential to her restoration has been lost, sold, or scrapped.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:44 pm 

I hope what Mr. Glueck says is true. Aside from some of the firebox components, the issue I remember seeing discussed was that along with the tube and flue material, at least some of the superheater elements were also lost -- these would be imho the most difficult parts to replace. Having said that, the materials and techniques used for T1 5550 could certainly be adapted, and I believe full drawings exist to assist in fabrication.

I of course think a somewhat unprototypical thing should be done with the locomotive if it is to be run. All the necessary metallurgy, fabrication, and bearing choices for Timken lightweight rods, as fitted to the last five production locomotives, were re-created for the T1 project, and sources capable of making the rods identified. The NWHS collection includes a full set of drawings for the forming dies used to produce the rod eyes for those locomotives. The augment reduction at any 'insurable' road speed would be greatly reduced were this to be done as a reversible option during restoration to operation...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:05 pm 

Overmod wrote:
at least some of the superheater elements were also lost -- these would be imho the most difficult parts to replace.

Not sure what's so hard about them to replace. SRC has built several sets over the last few years. They have the cast U-returns in stock and the header fittings to make just about any type. It's just a matter of money, but what isn't in steam restoration?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 am 

Not difficult to replace. Expensive, perhaps, but you simply need the correct steel and skilled people to assemble and test them.