It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RYPN get together?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:30 am 

steaminfo wrote:
I like the idea, but will have to fly out. What's the nearest airline airport to Strasburg?

You could take Amtrak to Lancaster. It would be closer than any available airport.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 am 

Sounds good. I'm in and if someone is flying in I'd be willing to pick them up from the airport.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm 

Sounds promising, although I can't put in for personal/daily vacation days more than 3 weeks in advance, and I'd better be on the phone at midnight to do it, or it will be gone that quick (since they only give one engineer at a time any personal/daily leave)!

I almost drove up there last Sunday, but really didn't want to go alone, and it was a rainy, crappy day. Glad I put it off. I was thinking the same thing about two trains running - all I ever get to see is "Notable" 90 run (which is a great and reliable engine), but I would really like to see something else. In looking at Strasburg's website, they limit the Noon shop tour to 25 per day. Sounds like a group of us might crowd out anyone else. Any chance of, say, getting a separate tour for the "advanced level" in preservation?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm 

I've done the shop tour, so if I'm able to be there I'll likely skip that unless it is sparsely attended.

I'm lucky to have managed to catch all of the engines up there running over the years. Maybe someone from the railroad will see this and let us know which engines will be running that weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:28 pm 

Good point about the shop tour.

I think we have about 13 people interested so far. I will contact SRC and see what they say about our group.

"There's only one 'bo that's got the stuff to try me, and you ain't even on the list." - Shack / Emperor of the North. ****GO PHILS****

Post subject: RYPN get together List of people
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:39 pm 

This is a list of people thus far that have expresses interest in the 7/15 event.

Rob D.
Site Admin (Steam info)
Christian S
Kevin G
Nick
Randy H
Al P
Dan K
Josh B
Steve Z
Tom G
Paul W
Alan L

I am not sure who is bringing freinds, wives or children. I may have my daughter with me.

Have a great day!

Alan S. Levy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:24 am 

Although not a frequent contributor, I am a fanatical reader of RyPN and think it's the best rail preservation tool on the web. I too would like to meet some of the familiar faces on the board.

My $.02, perhaps if we get a big enough turnout, we could have a few informal discussions/workshops (RyPN Convention v1.1?) on the future of rail preservation.

As discussed many times on this forum, I think some of the biggest issues we face are (not necessarily in order of importance):

1. supplementing/replacing an aging core of predominantly volunteer workers
2. maintenance/replacement of equipment that ranges in age from a decade to more than 100 years
3. protecting/sheltering artifacts/equipment now and and for the foreseeable future
4. insurance costs

Thanks Alan for suggesting this event.

Mike Shirk
RCT&HS Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:37 pm 

Mike,

You have some good ideas. The topics you mentioned all need to be addressed and discussed as preservation is getting harder not easier!

What I was thinking was keeping this first event rather light in nature as there will be wives, girlfriends, boyfriends & kids. As we all sit around shooting the breeze we could think of some important topics to be covered in a more formal setting at a later date. On the flip side if the conversation gets deep in to a topic that cannot be a bad thing!

It will be interesting to see how we all interact and what topics each of us find more important.

Positive communication is the key to our future. I feel the thing that helps the preservation efforts in the UK move along is the cooperation between groups.

Keep the ideas coming and spread the word about the event.

-Alan

Post subject: Re: RYPN get together List of people
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:37 pm 

Hi Alan,

Just so you know, the reason I haven't replied to you so far is not lack of interest. It's the fact that I live in Colorado and can't travel out to Pennsylvania for your RyPN meet on 07/15/07.

You have a good idea, and if such a get together were to take place closer to me, I'd see about attending. Best of luck to you, and have a hoot !!!

Sammy King

Post subject: You should try for a Colorado meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:02 pm 

you might want to go to Georgetown and see if anything is actually running...

In any event, between the Colorado RR Museum, D&S and C&TS, you have a bunch of place to choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:54 pm 

Hi Mike:

Most, if not all, of the topics you have listed have been featured as a workshop/seminar at the annual Association of Railway Museum (ARM) annual meetings. I've been to 8 or so ARM annual meetings in the last ten years and some of the topics you suggest have been covered more than once.

One of the highlights of the ARM meetings is the ARM Parts Committee meetings. This is the meat in the sandwich, so to speak. If you don't do anything else attend this meeting. You'll meet the "movers and shakers" in the rail preservation "community" and the contacts you'll make will pay dividends far into the future.

If your preservation group is not a member of ARM it should join. ARM also has an individual membership at a very reasonable rate. Visit the ARM website for more info: http://www.railwaymuseums.org

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: You should try for a Colorado meeting
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:09 am 

Al Patterson wrote:
you might want to go to Georgetown and see if anything is actually running... .

You will have to give me a couple more days, Sammy - drop in maybe Tuesday if you have a mind to.

dave

Post subject: Re: You should try for a Colorado meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:29 pm 

Sorry guys. I won't be able to make it per say. I'll be at the museum "across the street" working that day. If you want to go through there as well you could probably get a group rate if you book in advance and may also be able to arrange a behind the scenes tour for those who are regulars. Nick

Post subject: Re: RYPN get together Update! Pack your lunch!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:14 pm 

It looks like we are a GO for Sunday 7/15. I have asked the NOAA to provide a sunny yet not too hot day!

I think we should gather by the ticket booth at Strasburg at around 11. We buy tickets for the shop tour and/or train ride.

I will bring some name tags so we can tell who's who.

I estimate about 20 people depending on friends, childrens, mates etc...

I will be away from 7/2 thru 7/8 (trains in Panama & Ecuador with Mr. Gears) so I will handle the remaining details when I return.

Think of a good spot for a group photo!

Best Regards!

-Alan L.

Post subject: Re: RYPN get together Update! Pack your lunch!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 am 

Looking forward to next Sunday- have a good week everyone.

Joshua