It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where did all the "fireless cookers" go?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 1998 8:33 pm 

At the time J. David Conrad published his "Directory of North American Steam Locomotives", there were still many fireless steam locomotives, or "fireless cookers", either stored or operational at industry locations across North America. If you search Wes Barris' Surviving Steam Locomotive Database for fireless locomotives using the following URL:<p> http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/search.cgi?str=0F<p>there are about 50 or so "fireless cookers" that are missing from his list.<p>I am sure many of these were scrapped; others may still be stored and all but forgotton on location. Others may have passed into private hands.<p>Does anyone know where more of the survivors may be found?<p>-James Hefner

Surviving World Steam Locomotives for Windows
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: Where did all the "fireless cookers" g
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 1998 2:19 am 

There is at least one, possibly two, fireless "lokies" at the Pioneer Tunnel coal mine in Ashland, Pa. One is operable, and operates during the summer.<br>

wowak@usa.net

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 1998 12:18 am 

I think the lokie from the Pioneer tunnel in Ashland that's used for a short trip to a strip mine is not a fireless type.<p>The lokie, named "Henry Clay", is a small saddle-tanker.<p>There is a fireless locomotive on display at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA.<br>I believe it was from PP&L (a power company). Strangely enough, it's streamlined, done so for display at the 1939(?) world's fair. <br>

szarick@pahouse.net

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 1998 1:33 am 

Yes, that one is listed on Wes Baris' page, the Pioneer Tunnel Engines are not.<br>

wowak@usa.net

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 1998 12:14 am 

<br>Apache Powder #6 is at the Hucleberry RR in Flint, Michigan. It is a 6 ton Porter with 10 x10 cylinders and 20" drivers, 3' gauge. Plans are to <br>restore to operation as other projects permit. It was purchased from the STEAM RR museum in Canton ,Ohio in 1997. The other Apache fireless<br>they had was sold to one of their members and remained in the Canton area.<br>

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 1998 5:02 pm 

Thanks for the information on Apache Power #6, and the two at Pioneer Coal Mine Tunnel in Ashland.<p>None of these seem to be listed in Conrad's directory. Was is the construction number and year built for Apache #6, and for the two at Ashland?<p>There were two more Apache Power fireless locomotives (#1 and #3) in Benson, Arizona; and another one (#2) in private hands in Vista, California. Another one (#7) is located west of Salem, OH.<p>The one in Canton -- is it Apache Power #4 or #5??? <p>-James Hefner

Surviving World Steam Locomotives for Windows
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 1998 2:55 pm 

It is nice to hear of the recent movements of the Canton, Ohio, firelesses. I stumbled across these while looking for the Wheeling 0-6-0 a few years ago, and was actually able to tell Dave Conrad about engines he did not know existed, something I would not have thought possible.<p>In other fireless news, I'm told the Hercules Powder fireless is still at Harbor Beach, Michigan, although the ex-C&O branch to the town has been torn up. What I think was the Wyandotte Chemical fireless from Wyandotte, MI, is now at the end of the "Sweet Line" railroad in Carson City, Michigan, apparently derelict for the last 10 years or so, but not looking too bad. It was moved there by hobbyists around 1988.<p>If Marty is successful in resuscitating his fireless, would that be the first fireless returned to operation by a museum or preservation society? I think so.<p>Aarne Frobom<br>Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation, Inc.<br>

froboma@mdot.state.mi.us