It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preserved Budd Rail Diesel Cars.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:34 pm 

Budd self propelled railcars have been in decline for some time now and with the imminent demise of BC Rail's fleet,I got to wondering just how many,if any of these cars are preserveb. I seem to recall a photo of a Suzie-Q car operating in the east in an old back issue of RMC. It would be interesting to know what is out there.

http://www.wcra.org
gferguson@aebc.com

Post subject: Re: Preserved Budd Rail Diesel Cars.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:44 pm 

The B&O Railroad Museum has number 1961, one of only two RDC2's built with a full kitchen and dining facilities (24 seats). They also have RDC1 9913, the last RDC1 still in original B&O colors. As far as I know MARC still has the other RDC dining car ex-B&O 1962.

B&O Railroad Museum
kevingillespie@usa.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:11 pm 

Railroad Museum of PA owns two Budd RDC's: Lehigh Valley #40 (ex-RDG #9163 built 8-1951) and Reading Company #9167 (nee-New Haven #40 built 3-1953). #9167 is operable and currently on loan to the Bellefonte Railroad Historical Society, Bellefonte, Pa.

K.R. Bell
Railroad Museum of PA

> The B&O Railroad Museum has number 1961,
> one of only two RDC2's built with a full
> kitchen and dining facilities (24 seats).
> They also have RDC1 9913, the last RDC1
> still in original B&O colors. As far as
> I know MARC still has the other RDC dining
> car ex-B&O 1962.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:16 pm 

Here's an all-too-quick summary, only opff the top of my head with no reference books handy:

If I recall right, eight of the twelve former Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines RDCs have been saved by the Cape May Seashore Lines, in various states of disrepair or operability. I think some were saved for the New Jersey transportation museum, and are only leased or stored at CMSL with potential operation not ruled out.

One of the two Santa Fe cars is preserved, I believe at the Age of Steam Musem in Dallas.

Three de-engined, de-motored, de-humped ex-MARC RDCs are in the hands of the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum in Maryland, stored in a yard along with two Alco MRS-1's and a multitude of other rolling stock.

A society called Flying Cloud Enterprises (or something to that effect) has the former New Haven "Roger Williams" cars, two cab cars and a middle car (with no cabs), somewhere up there in New England.

Lehigh Valley 40, its only RDC, at the RR Museum of Pa.

I think the Reading Co. T&HS has custody of at least one car, possibly both of the cars acquired by the Blue Mountain & Reading in the 1980s.

Let's not forget the Bellefonte Historical RR in central Pa. with two RDCs (if I recall correctly).

Central NY Chapter NRHS had one of the P-RSL cars, but I think it went to CMSL.

There are a couple other scattered single cars, I believe in New England and Canada; and if you look hard enough I think Kasten Railcar has a couple still available for sale or trade.

Haven't checked Cuba or Saudi Arabia lately.......

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:22 pm 

The Museum of Transportation in St. Louis has an RDC-1, MBTA #54, originally built for Canadian Pacific in 1954. We received it in July 2000.

Museum of Transportation
rdgoldfede@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 12:24 am 

The only RDC in a museum in Texas is an ex-SP one. It's at the RR museum in Galveston.
Dallas Area Rapid Transit(DART) has a fleet of 13 RDC's in six day-a-week commuter service. They are all ex-CN or ex-CP, except one ex-B&M one. Supposedly, DART bought 2 additional RDC's from MARC for spare parts. They have not shown up at DART yet.
Didn't 'X-Files' destroy a couple of BC Ry. Budd cars for one episode?

denmeg_hogan@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:39 am 

I believe I may also have seen some of these in Corydon, Indiana. They are in use for a tourist line there.I think I saw about six of them. It was in downtown Corydon at the Corydon Scenic Railroad.

Just Train Crazy,

-Angie

Ladypardus@cs.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:27 am 

The Belfast and Moosehead Lake Rail Road is operating an ex-Boston & Maine RDC along it's coastal route.

glueck@saturn.caps.maine.edu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:02 am 

TVRM has two Budd RDC's. We've used them by themselves and as coaches. I do not know the lineage of them.

Is there a market for RDC's?

TVRM Shop Updates
aw90h@cs.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:04 am 

The Danbury Railway Museum in Connecticut has been restoring ex-New Haven RDC-1 #32.

Last year, a bunch of the regulars in the rec.models.railroad newgroup collected and donated a couple thousand dollars to help with restoration of the seats, as a memorial to a deceased newsgroup participant.

-fm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:54 am 

Illinois Railway Museum has a non-operating
RDC-1 that was originally C&NW 9933. It moved through several companies, eventually completing its operating years with the MBTA.

beast@mc.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 12:22 pm 

> One of the two Santa Fe cars is preserved, I
> believe at the Age of Steam Musem in Dallas

The often-referenced car at Age of Steam is actually a much-rebuilt doodlebug, M-190, which in its final transmogrification recieved an EMD 567 prime-mover (or was it a Winton 201?), making it a "near-locomotive."

Illnois Transit Assembly has the remaining ATSF RDC in St. Louis. A shortline in Canada has a former Missouri-Kansas-Texas RDC.

hi-plains@juno.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:06 pm 

> Supposedly, DART bought
> 2 additional RDC's from MARC for spare
> parts.

DART continues to talk to MARC about this, but has not completed the deal yet. The two cars involved are MARC 11 and MARC 3

SZuiderveen@mdot.state.md.us

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:13 pm 

> The B&O Railroad Museum has number 1961,
> one of only two RDC2's built with a full
> kitchen and dining facilities (24 seats).
> They also have RDC1 9913, the last RDC1
> still in original B&O colors. As far as
> I know MARC still has the other RDC dining
> car ex-B&O 1962.

The MARC 1 (nee diner RDC) was traded , along with nine other retired RDC cars for the operable ex NYC 48 observation car, which is the present MARC 1 business car. These 9 RDC's are triccked all through the below thread, which I will helkp out with one by one. Do not know the exact numbers of all of the cars cause the roster is in my desk at work! MARC 1 is now owned by James Gagliardi (or a subsidiary company) the same gentleman who owns the Roger Williams cab cars.

SZuiderveen@mdot.state.md.us

Post subject: Re: Preserved Budd Rail Diesel Cars. *PIC*
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:15 pm 

What are the economics of running an RDC? Is there any sort of parts source still out there? Is it a viable entity to get a tourist line "moving"?

TJG

Ann Arbor Wreck Crane
tjgaffney@phmuseum.org