It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Information on PRR obs cars (POC211's).
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:57 am 

I am looking for information on PRR obs cars like the Samual Rae and William Wallace Addabury (PRR 8427) Does anyone know how many of these are still arond other than the two listed above? I own the WWA #8427. I got it from James E Strates shows this past year and we are working on restoring it in Orlando and depending on how many are still out there will help deside what to do with it. I am a NYC fan so a PRR car does not do much for me. Any help with this type of car would be great.

JJ-

Post subject: Re: Information on PRR obs cars (POC211's).
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 am 

From a former PRR employee - you might find more information on these cars if you spelled the names of the PRR Presidents the cars were named for correctly. It is SamuEl REA and William Wallace ATTERbury.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:39 pm 

I was wondering why that car was missing from the consist when they pulled into Albany, GA last October for the fair. Now I know. Thanks. But, wasn't that one of the cars that was derailed on the FEC the year before?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm 

I am sure a more informative post will follow, but for a quick review, the Mountain View and Tower View are both around in private ownership, and at least the Mountain View was PC1/PC2 restored in the 1990s. I think both obs cars from the Congressional survive as well. There are also a few older obs cars with the back porch, such as the PRR 120 Mr. Levin owns and uses frequently out of the Philadelphia area.

Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:36 pm 

Thank you for correcting me on that.. It does help. I have found some stuff on them but nothing as to how many are still out there. Mr Syfrett how have you been. Last we talked I was still in Tallahassee. Is all doing well on the sam now that the man from PA is gone??

JJ-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I don't have my PRR or PV reference sources handy at the moment, but a quick perusal of what I had handy, aided by the Internet:

The car's original number was 8427; it was later renumbered 7155 but later still re-renumbered back to 8427:

"When additional streamlined Parlor cars were required for trains between Washington and New York the PRR turned to some of their little used prewar sleeper lounge observations and later some of the postwar sleeper lounge Observations. There were no internal changes made to these cars they were simply designated as parlors and they were assigned 7100 series numbers for parlor car service. Two of these cars were designated Parlor cars in January 1957 and followed by two additional cars in April 1957. The five postwar cars were designated parlors in November 1957.

<snip>

1 DOUBLE BEDROOM 1 COMPARTMENT 2 DRAWING ROOM BUFFET 25 SEAT LOUNGE OBSERVATION Pullman Standard February - March 1949 Plan: 4134 Lot: 6792 (Designated Parlor cars November 1957)

7154 ALEXANDER JOHNSTON CASSATT originally PRR 8424 ALEXANDER JOHNSTON CASSATT

7155 WILLIAM WALLACE ATTERBURY originally PRR 8427 WILLIAM WALLACE ATTERBURY

<snip>

These last five cars were returned to Sleeper Lounge Service in June 1958 and reverted to their 8400 series numbers. The four prewar Sleeper Lounge Observations remained in Parlor car service until retired by the PRR in 1961. "

Post subject: Obs or business cars?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It's worth pointing out that there's a big difference between an observation car and a business car. Levin's PRR 120 "Pennsylvania" is a business car, whereas the "View" series are observations, albeit closed-end without the "traditional" rear railings and porch.

I do think it might be strange for a buyer of a railroad passenger car such as this not to already be well-versed in the history of said car, but stranger things have happened............

Post subject: Re: Obs or business cars?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:15 pm 

Thanks for the PRR history on the car. As for "I do think it might be strange for a buyer of a railroad passenger car such as this not to already be well-versed in the history of said car, but stranger things have happened............" It was one of those now or never deals and I felt it better to do the deal rather than let the car go to the torch like the SBD car next to it did. That is why I am looking for more information. Is that not what this site is for?

JJ-

Post subject: Re: Obs or business cars?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 pm 

The best finds are often times done in this manner.(buying with out all the info first) It's one of the fun parts of preservation.
I bought an old R.E.O. truck off e-bay and was going to turn it into a hot rod. (would have been different) . I later found out it was the lowest serial number remianing one of only 200 built.
(may be one of the first batch). no hot rod now.
If I would have waited for research to come back and what not it might be gone forever now. Sound like buying a passenger car with out knowing the history?
Surely not some thing to complain or lessen some one's efforts about.

Post subject: Re: Info on PRR obs cars
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:54 pm 

Shoot me a message by PM, but in answer to your question, the SAM keeps rolling along. I actually had to cut back on volunteering account "real" work. So, you mentioned a SBD car that got cut. Was that by any chance the ex-ACL car named "Raleigh, North Carolina" (can't remember the JESX number) and if so do you have any photos you could forward to me. I know it was one of the derailed cars. Please keep me posted on what is going on with your new acquisition.

Post subject: Re: Info on PRR obs cars
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am 

At this point we are working on the trucks of the car. In the derailment on FEC the car had a swing hanger kicked out towards the equalizer. I am lucky that it did not run for long (FEC to CSXT to Orlando) Inside the car is for the most part intact as far as hard where. Some stuff like beds and so on are missing but easy to replace. The lounge is clear and ready to do what we want to with. Once we complete the truck work a COT&S and replace the handbrake the car will be moved to the Inland Lakes Railway. We are looking at repainting in Strates Shows paint with a new name "LUCKY"

JJ-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 am 

I have found three for sure that are still out there.

PRR 8423 Frank Thomson is in Winslow, AZ as the Louis Sochalexis in PRR paint.
PRR 8426 Samuel Rea French Lick, IN.
PRR 8427 William Wallace Atterbury Orlando, FL as JESX/RHSX #7.
There seems to be one more of these in TX as a PV.

PRR view cars
PRR 8419 Mountain View, Altoona, PA.
PRR 8420 Tower View, Strasburg, PA.

JJ-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:24 pm 

The Man wrote:
I have found three for sure that are still out there.

PRR 8427 William Wallace Atterbury Orlando, FL as JESX/RHSX #7.

JJ-

Reporting marks "RHSX" seem to belong to the Central New York Chapter, National Railway Historical Society. Did they own the car prior to Strates?

Jim Tatum.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:40 pm 

Yes the RHSX mark is the CNY NRHS. I take care of the chapter cars and they allow chapter members use the mark. Of the cars and locos with that mark only three or four cars are not CNY NRHS cars.

JJ-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am 

If the following information is correct on the PRR car please contact us at the Pullman Library, Illinois Railway Museum and we will look up the lot number to find out what is available for the original order.

1 DOUBLE BEDROOM 1 COMPARTMENT 2 DRAWING ROOM BUFFET 25 SEAT LOUNGE OBSERVATION Pullman Standard February - March 1949 Plan: 4134 Lot: 6792 (Designated Parlor cars November 1957)

We most likely would have the specifications and drawing list, and most of the construction drawings in that era. We would have to check to see if any photos are in the files. Please mail your request to:

Pullman Library
Illinois Railway Museum
P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

Expect a slight delay of a week or to for the reply as we look up the information. Thank you!
Ted Anderson, curator
Note also: Bob Webber, historian Al Johanson, archivist5

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180