It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roll Call two bay open top hopper cars
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:24 am 

robertjohndavis wrote:
1 bottom half (Sayre, PA)

bottom half, Sayre PA?
never heard of that before..

whats the story there?

thanks,
Scot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 am 

Scott,

It is at the John Murray retail coal dock, which I think is technically South Waverly, PA. You have to look for it.

It was used to haul coal from a truck dump up into the dock after the DL&W left town.

I was there in July and it is still there.

A fellow who used to live nearby swears to me there is another one up in the coal dock itself, but I kinda doubt that.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:24 pm 

robertjohndavis wrote:
Scott,

It is at the John Murray retail coal dock, which I think is technically South Waverly, PA. You have to look for it.

It was used to haul coal from a truck dump up into the dock after the DL&W left town.

I was there in July and it is still there.

A fellow who used to live nearby swears to me there is another one up in the coal dock itself, but I kinda doubt that.

Rob

oh! that one..sure..
"Sayre" threw me off! ;)
since yes..technically its not in Sayre...

I have never heard anyone confirmed it was actually LV..I have looked it over, and there are no markings of any kind on it..(although I dont think I ever thought to check the trucks..)

is it known for a fact to be of LV heritage?

here are some pics of the car in question, along with its Coal dock:

The hopper is still used!
Coal is loaded into it, it is then pulled by the cable up into the structure,
(the cable is visible in the last photo)
and coal is then dispensed into trucks.

The facility was once served by rail..the DL&W mainline once passed right alongside it..but the DL&W tracks have been gone since the early 60's..

I believe the hopper has been there ever since..I have always assumed the hopper would likely be of Lackawanna origin..but it could be anything I suppose.

Scot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm 

scott,

Didn't mean to imply she was LV. The way she looked this summer, I would say they no longer use it, the truck dump was impassable. One side shows the Murry paint, but no evidence of anything else. Now for the tale that there is an "extra" inside...

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:31 am 

robertjohndavis wrote:
scott,

Didn't mean to imply she was LV. The way she looked this summer, I would say they no longer use it, the truck dump was impassable. One side shows the Murry paint, but no evidence of anything else. Now for the tale that there is an "extra" inside...

Rob

Thanks Rob..
actually, now that I read page 1 of this thread again, you didnt imply she was LV! I somehow inferred that..my mistake.

I plan to drive down to visit my parents (in Waverly) soon..maybe I will try stopping in to John. H. Murray & Sons and ask if they know anything about the hopper's heritage..and ask about the one inside! see if it exists..

thanks,
Scot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:25 pm 

scottychaos wrote:
robertjohndavis wrote:
scott,

Rob

Thanks Rob..
actually, now that I read page 1 of this thread again, you didnt imply she was LV! I somehow inferred that..my mistake.

I plan to drive down to visit my parents (in Waverly) soon..maybe I will try stopping in to John. H. Murray & Sons and ask if they know anything about the hopper's heritage..and ask about the one inside! see if it exists..

thanks,
Scot

Scot -

Just wondered if you ever checked the Murray & Sons coal yard out, and if you found out anything about the "cut down" hopper, and if there really IS another one inside.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 pm 

Happened to see this photo taken by Jeff Terry of two hopper cars that don't seem to have been mentioned in this 2 year old thread:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 137&nseq=2

The two cars are on a photo freight run earlier this month on the Boone & Scenic Valley in Iowa, but I am not sure if they are actually owned by the B&SV. For that matter, I am not sure that the other freight cars are either, as there is no mention on the B&SV website. Anybody know for sure? Or can anyone furnish the history on the cars? Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 pm 

rjenkins wrote:
Three of the hoppers from the Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal yard in Roanoke went to the Virginia Museum of Transportation. The fourth went to a private owner who arranged their removal from the scrapyard.

The fourth N&W car from Roanoke is now on the property of the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad in Durbin, W.Va.

The N&W car in Durbin joins two other 2-bay hopper cars not yet counted on this thread: a pair of fishbelly side sill hoppers, one of which was painted C&O sometime after it arrived at D&GV. If these are truly C&O cars, which I think they are, they were probably part of the small fleet of fishbelly-side cars that were purchased secondhand from Lehigh Valley in '56.

North Carolina Transportation Museum has a N&W car of somewhat more recent construction than the ones at Roanoke and Durbin, showing shallower fishbelly sills and a wider carbody.

Also not counted here is the PRR GLca hopper at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania; it's the one with the curved side sills and, last I knew, has been part of the indoor freight train for years.

The Western Maryland Railway Historical Society's collection included during the 1990s a 2-bay covered hopper with channel-section ribs (I believe the last such car in existence) that was converted from an open hopper - I think this car also still exists, and it may still retain its wedge-style coal hopper bays, though I am not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:01 pm 

Some years ago, there were two inside braced (smooth side) 2 bay hoppers at a coke oven display in Chickamauga, GA. They were not of local heritage as I recall - Reading comes to mind... I'll see if my sources in Chattanooga can refresh my memory.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:02 pm 

It's always amazing to me how one photo, or item, on RyPN can answer or add to previous threads. The recent thread on the UP wood cupola caboose #2516 being restored in Wyoming and a reference to a similar caboose at the Utah State Railroad Museum in Ogden, led me to open that museums website. Yes, the UP caboose was there, but also a two bay open top hopper car that was not listed in this thread on open top hoppers. That car is DAFX #55175, a U.S. Air Force hopper. My guess is that it was purchased used from some railroad, but the "blurb" for the car does not say so, so perhaps not.

Reopening this thread also answered another question on another thread that was just recently answered; the CGW tank car that obviously was saved by the Boone & Scenic Valley group. It appears in a Jeff Terry photo (above) in this thread. If I had only remembered!

Finally, the museum in Ogden has a nice list (with photos) of their equipment, which was the subject of another recent thread here on RyPN.

Well, now that DAFX hopper 55175 is being added to this list, maybe the threads rebirth after all this time can lead to a couple of answers to questions raised. I guess we shall see.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm 

We don't know much about the hopper other than it was used at Hill Air Force Base, the Ogden Defense Depot and possibly the Tooele Army Depot. There is some evidence that it was purchased second hand during the early 1960s. I have done some researchand found a slim gleaning of information that the website does not list (yet - that's one of my projects is getting the museum listing updated).

It was built in April 1952, still has friction bearings, and was last repacked by UP in Ogden in 1977.

Here is a picture of the car in question:

Josh B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 pm 

Josh -

Thanks for posting the photo of DAFX 55175. Good luck on finding the original reporting marks and number. Been there....done that! BTW, is she missing a coupler, or is that just an optical illusion?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 pm 

Just an illusion. It's actually in great shape, we are working on getting it moved to the museum grounds to go with the military boxcars that we have.

An interesting tidbit, it was last used to carry the crushed remains of the B-52 simulator computers that were installed several Air Force-owned passenger cars, and the bottom is covered with a layer of old electronics.

Josh B.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm 

The N&W 2 Bay hopper at Spencer, NC (NCTM) is N&W 59159.

The D&H car listed above at the Connectcut Trolley Museum is listed as D&H 2782

I've also seen photos of another C&O 2 bay hopper listed as at Shoaf, PA
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2478136

The George's Creek Railroad of Maryland owns a pair of former Ma&Pa 2 bay hoppers, originally Western Maryland cars. I believe the plan is to restore these two back to WM paint to match their growing fleet of WM motive power.

Ma & Pa X130, Ex WM 1580
Ma & Pa X131, Ex WM 1571

Also, provided the list includes Canada, The museum in St Constant, QC has a CN 2 bay hopper on display in a MOW scheme. CN 44206 is the current car number.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:24 am 

Maybe I am seeing things, but look on page 8 of the current Trains magazine. To my eyes I see 8 gray Pullman 2-bay hoppers scattered around the yard of the Birmingham Southern. It would be worth seeing what they have in any regards. The article says they just changed owners, and they also have a small fleet of ex-Missabe ore cars. Those in and of themselves are harder and harder to find.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next