Post subject: "Revolutionary Road" trailer/1950s era commuter scenes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:29 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH6hL3XjkrY

Post subject: Re: "Revolutionary Road" trailer/1950s era commuter scenes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm 

Good Ole' Naugy....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 am 

Haven't seen the film yet, but the HBO "First Look" show on "Rev Road" had a nice mention about RMNE's role. If you can catch that, it's worthwhile.

A full day of filming at Thomaston, using NH RS-3 #529 and a four-car heavyweight train, and then a day of filming at Grand Central Terminal a few days later, using the four NAUG (CNR) coaches at Track 36. This all took place one week in June 2007.

It was a great experience to be involved with this film-- amazing attention to detail (which us museum types really love), right down to full 16-page repro NY Times, Herald-Tribune & Wall Street Journals dated August 15, 1955, in all the 200+ commuter's hands.

Howard P.
Gaffer's Tape, CT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 am 

Howard, is that Leonardo stepping off of the moving train at Thomaston? Who taught him that trick and how many takes did he need?

Stephen
Inadvertently distributing gaffer's tape worldwide since 1983 ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm 

One of our members has seen the movie in the theater and came back with a synopsis of the five scenes that made it into the film. All the railroad scenes take place in the first third of the movie. The following is copied from an email he circulated amongst the RMNE membership.

Quote:
1. #529 & train s/b pulling into the station with the platform loaded with Leo and the extras.

2. Shots of the coach interior with Leo & Co. reading their newspapers.

3. Coaches against the bumper block in GCT with Leo and the extras piling off and up the ramp.

4. Low-angle shot of the train coming north with Leo performing the “running jump” onto the platform just north of the “grasshopper” (my personal favorite as a still suitable for framing – it just screams “Thomaston!”).

5. Shot of #529 heading south around a curve, then Leo in the vestibule taking a drag on a cigarette and flicking it out the doorway.

Zog
Broken Ankle NY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 pm 

Yes, Stephen, that is indeed Leo getting off on the fly; I provided instruction on how to do it to a Production Assistant (the old tried and true "get off with the trailing foot first"), as I was not to speak directly with The Star. It took him 6-7 tries, with Carl Weber slowing 529 down even more each time. Haven't seen the full film yet (maybe tomorrow night?) but the shot looked good in the clip in the "trailer" and on HBO First Look.

It shows off the Thomaston station rather well, I think. In the background you may notice a white "structure" that the set decorators built. It is an odd signboard/platform lighting thing that resembles a billboard. This was the only wrong item I saw, and they were pretty enamoured of it, so it stayed in.

I would have loved to have seen all the unused footage. There was also an sequence of "Frank" riding the train into NY as a child, with his Dad. That was set in the 30s, and the extras were again perfectly costumed for that period. Those scenes were shot inside a high-clerestory coach (5046). The 30s flashback footage was not used in the final cut of the flim.

Howard P.
Gobo, CT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:32 pm 

Is it possible for the museum to get a copy of the unused
takes? Sort of like those from North by Northwest that we
wished we had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 pm 

It's Hollywood. They come in, pay us, use us, forget us. And they have no interest or patience with weird train nuts who want to see the footage of their big Lionel sets. I seriously doubt we could even get any of the production stills that were shot at Thomaston that day. I had to put my camera away on pain of serious bodily harm.

Lots of lawyers, too. On Rev Rd, they even crossed out the section of our film contract that called for RMNE to get credited. Yup, the assistant to the accountant's assistant gets credited, but I'm not sure if we were.

I do like the money, tho.

Howard P.
Action, CT