It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Precedents for Cutaway Display of Diesels
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:51 pm 

Since the discussion of sectioning a steam locomotive had resulted in such a spirited debate, I just wanted to mention that there are plenty of precedents for cutaway displays of diesel locomotives and their components. So if you decide you would like to try to produce a cutaway, be assured there were prototypes for it. The list below is just the exhibit pieces I have been able to verify, there were likely a lot more, particularly in the 1940s and 1950s.

EMD - Produced several "visible locomotives", including at least three F3B and F7B locomotives with labeled and color coded systems and piping, that had removable side panels, interior spotlights, and were put on public display with access ramps that allowed walking along the open outside of the carbody. EMD also produced many sectioned 567 and 645 engines, some of them internally powered with electric motors for display. There were cutaway traction motors, main generators, and functional electrical cabinets that could be "powered up" to operate a small "traction motor". They also built several display turbochargers powered by electric motors hidden in the display base.

ALCO/GE - They produced cutaways of 539, 244, and 251 engines, mostly for instructional purposes. They also had cutaway turbochargers, cutaway traction motors and generators, cutaway electric governors, and electrical cabinets that could be powered up outside the locomotive.

FAIRBANKS-MORSE - FM had a "visible" Opposed Piston engine that was widely displayed at trade shows and public events, at one time they even took out advertising to tell where the engine would be on exhibit. They also sectioned rotating electrical equipment for display.

PC

Post subject: Re: Precedents for Cutaway Display of Diesels
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm 

I believe that UP #2804, a U28C cut away for training Shop Employees, was donated to St. Louis MOT.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:56 pm 

You are right about the cut-away in St. Louis, but which if any of the others mentioned in the first posting still exist? Are any in a museum? I think I have read that the EMD ones were only used with clear side panels for a short time and then returned to their normal appearance for sale. The diesel engines that were cut-away would be great in a museum, if any got there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 pm 

Ron, you are correct, the EMD "visible" locomotives were all restored to operational condition after their display use and sold to customers. The most recent one was probably the GP35 displayed at the 1965 New York Worlds Fair, the subject of a very nice HO scale model by Overland a few years back. By the way, I have yet to see one of those beautiful models of the cutaway locomotive displayed by any museum, even though a respectable number of them were produced. Maybe that helps answer the questions in the steam discussion about using models as cutaways.

It is very sad to note that many of the cutaway displays, including sectioned engines, turbochargers, main generators, and traction motors used at various times as trade show displays and also by the EMD training center, were handed to customers for their training use when superceded in production and then generally were scrapped when they were out of date for training needs. I know many of the cutaways that were in the Training Center in the 1970s were eventually given to NdeM. However, photos of some of these items survive and perhaps may find their way into print this year.

The EMD Training Center had a beautiful 567D two-cylinder "front end" cross section that was powered by an electric motor hidden in the oil strainer box, and mounted on a turntable so you could turn it to face any part of the classroom while it was "running". I don't know if they still have that one or not, but it was one of the nicest of the operating sectioned components. That end of the engine does not include the camshaft drive gear train, so they had powered the cams with bicycle chains from the crankshaft that ran through cutouts in the front housings. If anyone knows of it having been saved by a museum please let us know.

PC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 pm 

Here's a cross-section at Exporail near Montreal...located next to the beautiful FA that you can walk through.
Attachment:
diesel.jpg
diesel.jpg [ 38.85 KiB | Viewed 3219 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 am 

Isn't there a secioned EMD engine at Steamtown? What about the EMD engine at the B&O Museum. Its been so long that I can't remember if either or both were sectioned.