It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wood burning steam engines
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:30 pm 

The John Bull replica at RRMPA is most assuredly a wood burner. I fired her in 1999 in California and Pennsylvania and can attest to the fact that she has a ravenous appetite.

K.R. Bell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:58 pm 

As one of the wood slingers on the William Mason, all I can say is "Foam wood for show!?" I've had the splinters to prove otherwise....lol. It was indeed built as a wood burner and per my understanding converted to burn coal within a year after delivery. It never burned oil, but was converted back to wood during the 90's restoration for Wild Wild West.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 pm 

OK, and thanks for the info. What I think that I got was that there are 9 or 10 active woodburners in the US. Only William Mason and SV #3 are still operating on their original railroads (so to speak) and Inyo is right next door to where it used to run.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm 

Two of the woodburners at Clark's Trading Post are also very near to their home rails.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:08 pm 

The Robert Dollar #3 at the Pacific Locomotive Association was originally a wood burner. And I think that she was later converted to burn coal.

Now that the restoration is finished i think she is back to burning oil.

And speaking of fuel consumption products; did you know that the steam locomotive at the San Francisco zoo burns bottled gas? Strangest smelling locomotive I have ever ridden behind!

Ted Miles

Post subject: Re: Wood burning steam engines in Hawaii
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am 

ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BURN WOOD

Grove Farm's PAULO is fired up at least monthly and operated on the relaid tracks down by Lihue Mill on Kauai in Hawaii.
Built by Hohenzollern in 1887, it was put on public display in 1920 in Koloa. Relocated to storage in the early 1970's, it was restored in 1981. This was the second Grove Farm locomotive that I supervised the restoration to operation. PAULO has the distinction of having the last locomotive boiler stamped with the ASME "L" Stamp. The boiler having been built by King Frey at Western Metal Products. Only 3 "L" Stamps were in issuance then, they were recalled in 1983 and replaced by "S" Stamps.
PAULO is one of the few operating, if not the only operating locomotive, with Joy valve gear.

More on the Grove Farm RR at KAUAI TRAINS

PAULO with LP MILL in background July 2008

PAULO with Matt Austin in cab July 2008

BEFORE AND AFTER RESTORATION PHOTOS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 am 

I don't think I saw it mentioned here, but Dan Markoff's narrow-gauge 4-4-0 "Eureka" sure looks like a wood-burner:
http://www.narrowgauge.org/images/stan/ ... srr-12.jpg
http://www.narrowgauge.org/images/stan/ ... tsrr-5.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:00 pm 

John D wrote:
I don't think I saw it mentioned here, but Dan Markoff's narrow-gauge 4-4-0 "Eureka" sure looks like a wood-burner:

Mentioned in the first post, actually. :)

But who can get enough of that engine?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm 

Thanks for the info on Paulo! That is one more to make the extremely short list of woodburners that operate on their original railroad (or a reconstructed part thereof).

I looks to me that if you want to see a woodburner in action on its own rails (or close there to) you have to go to Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Maryland or New Hampshire.

Thanks again for all of the help!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 pm 

Although both engines were initially designed to burn oil, the replicas of the Central Pacific "Jupiter" and Union Pacific No. 119 at the Golden Spike National Historic Site were later converted to burn wood and coal, respectively.

Craig Lacey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:35 pm 

Joshua K. Blay wrote:
As I remember the William was indeed converted to oil but was converted back to wood during her most recent rebuild. Did she also burn coal? Might she be the only engine running that burned all three at one point or another?

Joshua

Until its overhaul for "Wild Wild West", the B&O 25 was burning coal, even with its baloon stack. If you note from "The Great Locomotive Chase" the exhaust is most definitely coming out from a shotgun pipe within the baloon casing. One of the most historically telling (and endearing to me, personally) attributes of the 25's return to a true woodburner is that the stack was returned to its true woodburning "guts"; and therefore, when in operation you get the softer woodburning "chuff", and the swirling of the wood smoke that is typical of a true woodburning steam locomotive. A woodburner needs to be drafted softer than a coalburner to keep from tearing the fire up.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm 

I believe that former W. T. Carter & Brother 2-6-0 #1 at the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas Railway, is a wood burner. I think that ES&NA actually operated the Mogul at one time, but I am not sure of its status now. The number 1 was actually built by Baldwin in 1906 for Lufkin Land & Lumber Company as a coal burner, but was later converted to burn wood.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:12 pm 

Many of the W.T. Carter engines were wood burners. #1, #2, #4, #5, Shay #2 and several others. The two big mikes and #6 were coal or oil burners. All of these engines are still around, and #2 is operable at Reader, AR. but as an oil burner. #4 is undergoing repairs there, as is Louisiana Longleaf Lumber #7, which was the last operating woodburner in Louisiana.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

The little Kolben-Danek 0-4-0T in Northfield, MN is now a wood burner.