It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valves for an engine project
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 pm 

Ok,

I guess this could be considered off-topic but it does involve two of my favorite subjects - locomotives and old engines.

Iam currently deep into the restoration of a 1924 Wisconsin Model PT engine. (6 cylinder, water cooled, T-head, 5-3/4 Bore, 7" stroke) it originally powered a Lombard Log hauler. Anyways I need to replace all the intake and exhaust valves. All the originals were bent when the bronze lifter guides were scavanged many decades ago. (I have replacements for those!)

Needless to say finding original valves for this engine - or any parts at all is impossible. They were not a high production item. Mine is No. 1145 and these days most people associate Wisconsin with air cooled engines.

The original valves are: 2-5/8" head, .5" stem, 8-3/8" long.
I have 3 used valves that came from a Cooper-Bessemer that powered a 70 ton GE Locomotive. They are a bit oversize but I can machine them to fit. I need at least 9 more.

So.... if you have any laying around the shop............

Below is a photo - Note the crankcase is a 500 lb bronze casting.

Best regards,

Terry Harper

Attachments:
100_0114-a.jpg
100_0114-a.jpg [ 319.74 KiB | Viewed 9276 times ]

Post subject: Re: Valves for an engine project
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:36 pm 

Terry,

Have you tried these guys: http://www.egge.com/ ?

They might be a bit pricey, but I've heard they can supply just about anything for any engine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:12 pm 

If you find an old timer or properly trained counter attendant at a Napa or similar real auto parts store, they should have a book that lists valves by dimension. Probably best not to ask to do this when there are 10 people in the store with only 2 attendants, but if they stay away from the computer they should be able to find an equivalent.

Don't overlook valves with either a longer stem (like the C-B engine you have valves from) or ones that have large diameter heads. Not impossible to trim the stem or grind the head smaller with the proper tools.

Just a thought,

Rich C.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:41 pm 

You also may want to look at old fire engines specificly Lafrance. The old "Jug head" engine they used up untill the 30's has a very simular design.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:24 pm 

Here is a picture of a 1924 lafrance I restored a little while ago. note the simularities in valve layout and design.

Attachments:
lafrance.jpg
lafrance.jpg [ 76.96 KiB | Viewed 8899 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 pm 

You might post your query on this forum;
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisp ... une=-1&f=5
Many of the posters rebuild just about every type of old engine that was ever built and seem to have lots of connections.
Good luck, that looks like a fun project.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:03 am 

Ok,

First thanks for the responses. Jack - great looking engine. I always had desired a chain-drive Lafrance trimmed down to a roadster with a big T-head burpling away under the hood. (with an exhaust cut-out of course)

Now back to my post... I think the intent of my post was missed. Yes, I have tried numerous avenues and there are quite a few places out there that will make valves for me. However at $40-$50 bucks each x 12 thats a little rich.

Especially when I can easily take discarded valves from a prime mover, cut them to length then turn and grind them down to the appropriate size. My time at the lath is free.

To be clear what I am looking for a Diesel crank out there who might have a box of discarded valves from a Cooper-Bessemer FWL-6T (these are the closest match I have found to date and will work fine with a bit shop time - there may be others)

Best regards,

Terry