It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waukesha and Western?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:16 pm 

Saw this on railpictures.net

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 454&nseq=9

What caught my eye was the passenger car in the background, it appears to be lettered Waukesha and Western. I've not heard of that one.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post subject: Re: Waukesha and Western?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:53 pm 

Before Soo Line 4-6-0 2645 went to Mid Continent, it was part of a restaurant in Waukesha with some passenger equipment. Could these cars have been a part of that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 pm 

This is twenty five years ago, and my memory may not be too good, but this is at the interchange between the Central Wisconsin and the C&NW in Waukesha. There was a depot restaurant installation here, which is what the W&W coach was part of. The restaurant went defunct and the cars were sold off. Very near to here is where we ran some Golden Arrow excursion trains in the early 1980's.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
George Drury drove me out here in 1985 when I was visiting Kalmbach, back when they were still at 1027 N. 7th St. in Milwaukee. I remember the Soo Line 4-6-0 and at least two cars, the latter painted about like this. Of course, we now have another Waukesha transplant at Crossroads Circle who checks in here now and then, who might give us an update....... <:-)

http://www.rrshs.org/Wisconsin/waukesha.htm says that the 1891 C&NW depot was still a business/restaurant as of 2007..........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:58 am 

Everyone has correctly identified the location. As far as I know, the cars are ex GM&O, and were still at the restaurant last time I was in Waukesha a couple years ago. The need to establish a direct connection between the C&NW and Wisconsin Central Ltd. mainlines so that the ex Milwaukee Road riverfront trackage through downtown could be abandoned was the reason the 4-6-0 was donated to Mid-Continent; the connection runs right where the engine once sat.

Just checked both Google and Mapquest, and while I have no way of dating the aerial images, both show the cars still in place, and a line of tennis courts where the factory in the right of the photo used to sit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 am 

I go past this place a few times a year on visits to my sister. It’s a Mexican place now. There website gallery has some interior photos.

http://www.laestacionrestaurant.com/gallery.html

You can also take a look with Google Earth street view from Williams st.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Everyone has correctly identified the location. As far as I know, the cars are ex GM&O, and were still at the restaurant last time I was in Waukesha a couple years ago.

Updating this old thread, the "Waukesha & Western" cars are still there at the "La Estacion" Mexican restaurant, which has occupied the old Milwaukee & Madison (C&NW) depot since 2002 or so. Here are some pictures from Tuesday, 8-aug-2017. The cars are in remarkably good shape for their age, probably because they are continuously heated or air conditioned as part of the restaurant operation.

Attachment:
File comment: The string of five cars looking east. The WSOR ex-C&NW main track in the foreground. Each car appears to have a "furnace room" to provide heat, with appropriate chimney.
La Estacion #22 - compressed.jpg
La Estacion #22 - compressed.jpg [ 267.57 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The observation car. The W&W letterboard is still readable on this, the shady north side of the car. The car has six-wheel roller bearing trucks with straight equalizers. There is evidence that the open platform was created in Waukesha by cutting away the end sheets and removing the vestibule doors.
La Estacion 1 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 1 compressed.jpg [ 235.2 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The next car in the string, numbered 217 and named "Bethesda". This one has friction bearing six-wheel trucks, also with straight equalizers.
La Estacion 2 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 2 compressed.jpg [ 219.98 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: There's also what appears to be an IC side-door caboose on the property, converted to a small barber shop. The historical marker for the depot was erected by the restaurant in 2007.
La Estacion 7 - compressed.jpg
La Estacion 7 - compressed.jpg [ 264.17 KiB | Viewed 6669 times ]

Last edited by Peter Nicholson on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 am 

Photos of the rest of the "Waukesha & Western" cars at "La Estacion".

Attachment:
File comment: The middle car in the string from the south side. This is probably GM&O 3096, originally C&A 325 "Webster Groves" from the Alton Limited of 1924. The car might have an opening cut in the north side for access from the station building.
La Estacion 14 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 14 compressed.jpg [ 266.04 KiB | Viewed 6665 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: It appears the next car isn't going anywhere soon - the retention tank was built around the truck transom and brake beam. The trucks are six-axle drop equalizer type with roller bearings. Also note the sub-cooler for the old Waukesha A/C system on the right.
La Estacion 15 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 15 compressed.jpg [ 253.92 KiB | Viewed 6665 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The fourth car in the string, probably GM&O (M&O) 326. Note the straight equalizer truck with roller bearings.
La Estacion 11 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 11 compressed.jpg [ 267.42 KiB | Viewed 6665 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Old stenciling on the air tank of the next car confirms it saw service on the GM&O.
La Estacion 13 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 13 compressed.jpg [ 235.91 KiB | Viewed 6665 times ]

Last edited by Peter Nicholson on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 am 

Last car in the string.

Attachment:
File comment: A baggage-express car currently used as a kitchen brings up the east end of the string of cars. Note the modern A/C condenser on the ground. In the background is one of two box cars with truck trailer siding applied - these are still lettered for one of La Estacion's predecessors, the Waukesha Depot Restaurant.
La Estacion 10 compressed.jpg
La Estacion 10 compressed.jpg [ 257.96 KiB | Viewed 6660 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The passenger cars were air conditioned by replacing the original Waukesha Ice Engines with these units, showing their age but still running.
La Estacion #20 compressed.jpg
La Estacion #20 compressed.jpg [ 266.7 KiB | Viewed 6660 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 pm 

Peter -

Thanks for the photos of the equipment at the restaurant in Waukesha, Wisconsin. For the record, the Illinois Central side door caboose is ICRR # 9803, built in 1941.

Les