It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free to a good home - 1950's AAR classroom posters
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:35 pm 

A local resident stopped by our office and dropped off a box - six paper 'bulliten board' sized paper folded posters printed by the AAR for classroom educational use - and apparently dating from the late 40's - early 50's as steam is still very much present. Quite the little time capsule, yellowed, but not torn and still presentable, color graphics and photos mixed. They were actually on a classroom wall as there are thumbtack holes.

1: How Railroad Serve (note on the back - average carload is 53 tons)
2: Railroads and World Trade (how freight cars go to Cuba by car ferries)
3: Railroads and Industry (how do railroads handle cattle movements?)
4: Railroads and the Community (the different kinds of railway occupations in my community)
5: Going Places by Rail (how does air conditioning contribute to passenger train comfort?)
6: Railroads and American Life (suggested writing assignment on Railway Express Service)

If you're going to just stuff these in a file cabinet, that's not an improvement, but if you're a railroad museum and have a nice wall to actually exhibit this classic set, give me a holler. Cover my postage and they are yours - but museums, not individuals.

Post subject: Re: Free to a good home - 1950's AAR classroom posters
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:57 pm 

I wonder if these are a "companion" set to some 8 x 10 (roughly) cards I have from AAR. They're a bunch of sheets featuring photos and information on american railroad trains and operations.

It's been a long time since I looked at them, so my memory of them is a bit vague except for the fact that all of the locomotives have been re-lettered with "generic" road names, like "American Railroad" or something along those lines. Apparently the "American Railroad" got some used GG1's from Pennsy. :) The rest of the photos are similiary retouched so as to not appear to favor any one railroad.

They were also used in a classroom and given to me by a teacher many years ago. I've seen at least one set for sale on ebay a few years back.

Post subject: Re: Free to a good home - 1950's AAR classroom posters
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:21 am 

I've got a taker so they've found a good home. Thanks everybody.