It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pintsch gas system
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:43 pm 

Matt (and others, of course),
I have a fotopic site which details the restoration. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to place the photos in chronological order, but apart from that, it gives a good idea of what's been done so far.
Address is bobhall998.fotopic.net
One of the conundrums I have is finding out what sort of gas lamps the car had when it was built. The NSWR seemed to have all sorts of lamps, depending on the type of car, but I haven't been able to find any photographic or documentary evidence to establish anything.
Certainly, the screw patterns in the ceiling battens show they didn't use the Pintsch 4 arm lamps used in the American-built Pullman cars imported by NSWR.
I'm thinking the sort of lamps used in the VR's Bouncy Passenger Lounges might be something to work on.
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:05 pm 

Mike,
I can supply a good photo of a Pintsch 4-arm lamp if it's of any use.
All I have to do is work out how to add it to a post!
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm 

For whatever it's worth, here's a picture of a Pintsch gas regulator loose from a car. This unit was salvaged long ago from a car being scrapped.

Attachments:
Pintsch gas regulator sm2.jpg
Pintsch gas regulator sm2.jpg [ 88.56 KiB | Viewed 2270 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:51 am 

great picture good job in rescueing something that some of us will never see ! You could get a good mould made from that.

Mike Pannell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 pm 

I found a six page article about this system was published in the journal Technology and Culture in January 1977. It was by John H. White, Jr of the Smithsonian and the title was "A Perfect Light is a Luxury": Pintsch Gas Car Lighting. It doesn't go into the technical questions you raise but does provide a history of the system and how widely it was used. Some of the footnoted sources he cites might provide more info.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:20 am 

As Mike Pannell well knows, the IRM Pullman Library has a large collection (over 10,000, mostly saloon fixtures) of wood car era drawings in the renumbered "X" series changed from straight numbers to the newer letter series. We are in the final stages of putting together a database that includes plan and lot number for scanning a particular car drawing not listed in our drawing lists by plan number for pre-1910 passenger cars. The listing will be available on CD in Acrobat or Excel format for a very reasonable fee (we are in the business of supplying drawings, specs, and the later photos.) Checking under the terms "gas" and "Pintsch" I come up with a lot of hits for lamps, piping layout and conductors valve details. The term "city gas" is used which I assume refers to coal-produced gas, primarily carbon monoxide. I remember the city gas accumulators on Martha's Vineyard from the mid-60's. The railroads used the gas generators track side to refill the tanks to high pressure, far safer than smoky dim & dangerous oil lamps responsible for so many train crash deaths by fire, hence the name for Safety Car Heating & Lighting Company, American distributor & manufacturer of the German Pintsch company. So if Mike wants to know typical installations for the gas tanks under the car and the various piping arrangements, we can accommodate him but at a fee.
Sincerely - for the Pullman Library volunteers, Ted Anderson

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180