It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SL&SF ( Frisco ) # 1355 in Pensacola Florida
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm 

Thought some members of the group would like to see the current condition of Frisco # 1355 which resides in Pensacola Florida. Passed through town and wanted to see the condition of this Frisco engine, especially after looking at the Frisco engine in Mobile a few months back. From the looks of things, Frisco # 1355 looks a bit forlorn and forgotten... however looks very complete, with most of its hardware in place from class lights to gauges to bells, whistle etc etc...

Interesting to see these big engines still residing in city parks nearly 50 years or so after the age of steam.. Wonder who takes care of this fellow.. ( such as the City of Pensacola, a local NRHS chapter, Rotary Club etc etc )...

Looks to me, as if each one of these big engines needs a true caretaker...

I will provide a few photographs that I took this week, showing the actual condition of the engine...

Dean Levin

Attachments:
FRISCO200.jpg
FRISCO200.jpg [ 66.82 KiB | Viewed 6701 times ]
FRISCO201.jpg
FRISCO201.jpg [ 70.19 KiB | Viewed 6697 times ]
FRISCO202.jpg
FRISCO202.jpg [ 61.31 KiB | Viewed 6701 times ]

Post subject: Re: SL&SF ( Frisco ) # 1355 in Pensacola Florida
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:05 pm 

a few more photographs ...

Attachments:
FRISCO203.jpg
FRISCO203.jpg [ 91.85 KiB | Viewed 6682 times ]
FRISCO204.jpg
FRISCO204.jpg [ 65.37 KiB | Viewed 6678 times ]
FRISCO205.jpg
FRISCO205.jpg [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 6676 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm 

a few more.... note the concrete platform which I suspect at one time held a bronze / brass identification plate.. ( in the shape of the Frisco logo ) ... along with what appears to be the stack cover laying behind it ....

Attachments:
FRISCO206.jpg
FRISCO206.jpg [ 54.36 KiB | Viewed 6657 times ]
FRISCO208.jpg
FRISCO208.jpg [ 47.37 KiB | Viewed 6658 times ]
FRISCO209.jpg
FRISCO209.jpg [ 100.34 KiB | Viewed 6657 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 pm 

It's pretty amazing that so many parts reside on the locomotive after all those years. Once again, we see a locomotive that looks like an operable specimen, but with nowhere to go beyond her current status.
No doubt, asserting a case for weather sheds over static display locomotives is where our best efforts should be directed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 pm 

SLSF 1355 was the next-to-last steam locomotive added to the railroads roster. She was actually rebuilt in 1945 from Consolidation #1318, which had came from Schenectady in 1912. Beginning in 1943, Springfield began rebuilding these old 1306 class 2-8-0's for use on the line down to Pensacola, where bridges had prevented the use of anything heavier than a Consol. By adding a new boiler course and certain modern appliances, the Frisco was able to get a more efficient locomotive without increasing the weight on the drivers. Two engines were built each year between 1943 and 1945 and when a seventh locomotive, #1356, rolled out of Springfield in 1946, steam rebuilding on the railroad had come to an end. It's fitting that the 1355 is enshrined in Pensacola. I just wish that the city would take a little bit better care of the old girl.

Thanks very much for posting the photos Dean.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:22 pm 

Les ( and the group ) ...

thanks for that interesting history... always wonder how a locomotive such as this finds itself in the location it found home after steam ended.... I am sure each railroad either offered or received requests for a locomotive....Not sure how the Frisco handled things, but it seems as if a good number of Frisco engines survive.... I firmly agree with the thought that efforts should be more directed at shelter over the need to restore the local park engine...this engine certainly fits the need to be undercover and secure as this engine appears remarkably complete... however it becomes somewhat on the border of becoming more of an eyesore then perhaps a welcome memorial to steam... funny how you have a locomotive in a setting between two streets, with no identification as to why it is there, how it got there and why it is important... wonder how many people look at it as an important and valuable part of the community, or just another object that has little meaning... as time goes on and steam becomes something few have actually witnessed.. perhaps its more of a eysesore.. Is anyone aware what year this engine came to Pensacola... and how it came about being given to the city ?

question for someone who knows Frisco steam ( or number plates ) ... was the Frisco emblem on the front of these locomotives a casting with the locomotive number raised ( like the PRR keystones ) ... or steel per say with the engine number painted on it.. ( as it would appear in this photograph of the Frisco 1355 )...

thanks again Les for the history....

Dean Levin

Attachments:
FRISCO210.jpg
FRISCO210.jpg [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 6266 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:19 pm 

Most of the later engines used a cast "Coonskin" number plate and had a rectangular plate bolted to it with the numbers attached.
I was through Pensacola several years ago and she looked a lot better. Someone told me the Seabees had repainted her. I'm amazed to see all the jewelry still intact.
These rebuilt engines seemed to do a good job. The original 2-8-0s were workhorses also and several were really handsome with a big engine look to them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:06 am 

Dean -

Frisco1522 is right about the bolted on rectangular numbers added to a cast "coonskin" plate. But quite a few Frisco engines didn't even have the "coonskin" plate, but just a rectangular plate with numbers. I'm not sure how they determined what locomotive got what type of plate.

As for the 1355's donation date, J. David Conrad's book says the engine was donated to the City of Pensacola in March of 1957. I think that the Frisco was better than quite a few of the railroads when it came to preserving steam. I once wandered by the old Frisco roundhouse near (in?) St. Louis where a number of 4-8-4's and 1500 class 4-8-2's were parked outside in really derelict condition. But some of these actually ended up being restored and preserved by the railroad! In addition to the engines that the SLSF formally saved, other Frisco engines that were sold elsewhere were also eventually preserved. So, a very nice steam legacy. And in this particular case, a legacy for a railroad that itself, eventually disappeared.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 am 

Talk of SLSF 1355 reminds me of sister engine 1351 parked in Collierville, TN just east of Memphis. These photos were taken 6 years ago but I do not believe much has changed since. The 1351 sits just north of the NS main between Memphis and Sheffield, AL.

This engine too has most of her parts still attached but like all exposed "park" engines could really benefit from overhead shelter.

Note her unusual feedwater heater residing in the front of the smokebox. I've seen these detailed but forget the model and type.

Attachments:
Loco1351front.jpg
Loco1351front.jpg [ 81.28 KiB | Viewed 5958 times ]
Loco1351.jpg
Loco1351.jpg [ 130.7 KiB | Viewed 5958 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am 

That's a Coffin feedwater heater (Joel S. Coffin, later head of The Superheater Company). They were usually flush-mounted into the smokebox; these seem to be slightly "proud" of the smokebox arc. The 1927 B&M "Superpower" Lima 2-8-4s had the Coffin heater totally exposed, mounted out ahead of the smokebox. It looked like a giant headlight visor. Some NYC Hudsons had Coffin heaters, very neatly mounted.

Those SLSF 2-8-2s look like they'd be nice restoration candidates. That's a great tender-- all-welded and nice round bottom corners.

Are there any other Hanna-stoker fired locomotive out there besides these two SLSF engines?

Howard P.
Cold Water Pump, NY

Post subject: Re: Frisco #1355 in Pensacola, FL and #1352 in Taylorville, Ill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 am 

Guys,

We at American Steam Railroad Preservation, Inc. couldn't agree more with the kind words and opinions of these engines. These Mikes are just big enough to handle a nice 10-15 car passenger consist but yet will be kinder to the average shortline's infrastructure than many larger Berks, 4-8-4's and such. (Nothing against that size power!) This is largely why we are working so hard in 2010 to raise the necessary funds to get 1352 to a better home and get the restoration work restarted. 1352 sits in a semi-dismantled state in Illinois and we're anxious to pick up where the last effort stopped better than 10 years ago. These engines are all in excellent mechanical condition, having received new fireboxes and major boiler and running gear rebuilding in the mid-40's only to be retired with no more than 10 years or so of service.

1355 in Pensacola would look so much better with a touch up to the paint job and new letters and numbers. It is quite surprising to see the backhead so complete and headlight lense intact! This must be a community with an older population and little if any gang/youth violence. Either that, or a very vigilent local police force!

Rob Gardner
American Steam Railroad Preservation, Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:20 pm 

hello all...

It is interesting to compare the condition of at least 3 ( that I have seen recently ) of these Frisco locomotives... All three seem relatively intact, yet none of the three seem to be overly cared for...more like they exist due to the thought of railroaders past... ( makes me think.. that you don't see to many diesels going into city parks anymore )... ( perhaps the DD40X in the Omaha / Council Bluffs area... or the GP9 at the Horseshoe Curve )... however I suspect thats an interesting different discussion...

In regard to the locomotive in Colliersville ( Memphis ) ... If I understand the direction of where things are going with the equipment there, the MTM ( Memphis Transportation Museum ) has sold off much of their equipment, and the cars that make up the restaurant in Colliersville are all for sale.... and if memory serves me correctly the locomotive ( I believe ) is owned by the City of Memphis... with some talk of the locomotive going back downtown into a park setting ( or by the depot ) or something of that matter....Anyone have any first hand knowledge of what the future holds for the locomotive ?

I would be interested to hear how each municipality feels about their big steamers..
( Pensacola, Memphis, Sloss Furnace in Birmingham ) ... If I recall reading about the Birmingham engine.. the City wanted it out of the park... and some volunteers came to the rescue...

So... has the park engine ( not museum engine ) in this country become an "attractive ( or unattractive ) nusience..... or more a sense of civic and community pride... ?

Examples appreciated....

Dean Levin

( one more Frisco 1355 photograph included )

Attachments:
frisco221.jpg
frisco221.jpg [ 70.58 KiB | Viewed 5727 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:18 pm 

These are fine locomotives. The Feedwater System and Superheaters in the locomotives are JR Coffin type. 1351, 1352 and 1355 are the last of these special built class of locomotives by the West Springfield Shops to survive after steam went down on the Frisco. As we work to bring 1352 back to life I encourage everyone to visit our Web Site at http://www.americansteamrailroad.org and sign up for our e-Newsletter with couple clicks of the mouse and look at our Events and Excursion pages for our current fund raising efforts for 2010.

Thanks!!
Steven M Harvey
American Steam Railroad Preservation Association, Inc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:10 pm 

thanks for sharing pics of these beautiful locomotives. I'm shocked that no one has found time over the years to smash the gauges and remove the name plates.
Seriously, I hope both the engines get the care they both deserve...soon.