It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: A Film Backdating Abombination?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 pm 

Post subject: Re: Film Backdating Abombinations
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 am 

The Alberta Railway Museum's 1913 built, ten-wheeler ex-CNR 1392 made up supposedly to look like a UP engine of the late 1800's for the Tom Selleck film "Monte Walsh"...... Ooooookay.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 am 

ctjacks wrote:
A recent example of very good backdating is in the HBO miniseries The Pacific, where at the end they ride on an L&N train. Only someone like us that can recognize the sharpest details can tell that these scenes probably weren't even filmed in the U.S.

Chris.

The Pacific was filmed in Australia. The locomotive painted to represent an L&N E6 was an ex-Victorian Railways S class loco of 1957. A number of these locomotives are still used by private operators for freight service. This particular locomotive is owned and operated by Steamrail Victoria, and it looked good enough for the brief shots in which it was featured. When one compares the original (seen here in a company postcard) with the repainted preserved loco (seen here in a pic by 'The Rev' at Railpage.com.au), the resemblance is good enough. Considering that the loco was probably seen for less than ten seconds all up, the efforts were worth it.

Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am 

The movie fans can update me on this, but didn't I once see a CP Royal Hudson on what was supposed to be a mine run in KY or WV?

I do remember falling off the sofa laughing at it......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 am 

David H. Hamley wrote:
The movie fans can update me on this, but didn't I once see a CP Royal Hudson on what was supposed to be a mine run in KY or WV?

"Coal Miner's Daughter", filmed in 1979 in Southwest Virginia, on SR. Guess what the Steam Program was operating then? One scene was a local passenger train, another was switching hoppers at a mine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 am 

The British probably have the best record when it comes to having the right stuff in the right place when making period movies. I'm not saying it don't happen,but very rarely do you see a glaring miscue in regards to trains and other transport items in British productions especailly those from the Beeb.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 pm 

While not railroad related, did anyone catch those medieval French landing craft ships that were based on the LCAs & LCTs of WW2 in the new Robin Hood Movie... Which the director told some interviewer that he `...felt that landing craft with oars existed...' Too bad no one in the last 800 years have found any references to them.

As far as the movie locomotives, it could be worse... they could have been using the ex-flea market Porter locomotive that is now in Palmer, Mass:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20080 ... 826720.jpg

Rich C.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:21 pm 

Gary Gray wrote:
David H. Hamley wrote:

"Coal Miner's Daughter", filmed in 1979 in Southwest Virginia, on SR. Guess what the Steam Program was operating then? One scene was a local passenger train, another was switching hoppers at a mine

What I have always heard was the Southern 4501 was supposed to be in the movie but had a mechanical problem - nature unknown-, so the newly arrived Royal Hudson was sent at the last minute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:20 pm 

I've also heard the same thing about the Royal Hudson mine switcher, last minute sub for an ailing, and oh so much more appropriate, 4501.

That said, once again, repeat after me "It's only a movie!"

They do lots of stuff in movies that isn't real. The good guys never miss, the bad guys never shoot straight, the hero always gets the girl, etc etc.

Speaking of getting the girl, once the typical adolescent male viewer the movie is targeted towards sees what Megan Fox is (barely) wearing in this film, they'll forget all about the silly looking train.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:18 pm 

Not to swing this too far off topic, but what about dailogue? I'll never forget the line in 'Runaway Train', "The emergency brake is burned out!" Don't these movie people ever consult with anyone that knows anything about railroads? (Rhetorical question, I know-)

Post subject: Re: A Film Backdating Abombination?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 pm 

Chris Salmonson wrote:

Gad Chris, you're right......Look at all those people in 20th century work clothes around a 19th century lcomotive..........................................:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:18 pm 

And is the fellow on the tender looking into an aluminum attache case, or a laptop computer? When that engine was the latest technology, aluminum was considered a semi-precious metal, not something to make pots and pans and other useful items out of.
I remember taking photos at the Sacramento Southern terminal (part of Calif. State RR Museum. The fireman was leaning out of the cab window, talking with someone on a handheld radio (anyone remember when they were called "Paksets"?). As soon as he saw my camera, the radio went inside the cab.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 pm 

Even worse was the old Bob Newhart show. He got on a north bound eleveted train in Chicago to go south. It kind of ruined the whole show for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:36 pm 

Not so much an abomination, more like a comfortable cliche. Think about all of the roles Sierra #3 has played over the years.

For those of us old enough to remember the 70's, what about those Spanish locomotives with balloon stacks in all of the "Spaghetti Westerns" ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 pm 

Warren wrote:
The British probably have the best record when it comes to having the right stuff in the right place when making period movies. I'm not saying it don't happen,but very rarely do you see a glaring miscue in regards to trains and other transport items in British productions especailly those from the Beeb.
Yeah? Well, watch the beginning of the movie, “Flyboys” where an obviously British train is standing in for the Overland Express. Funny to see “Union Pacific” lettering on a British locomotive!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next