It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping a locomotive by truck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 pm 

Greetings all,

Do you think a locomotive such as an F-7 or an RS-3 cound be moved a few hundred miles and delivered to a private property that had good access to a major highway?

Or, let me phrase my question this way, what's the largest size locomotive (tonnage or size) that could reasonably be transported by truck?

Thanks, -Jason

Post subject: Re: Shipping a locomotive by truck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:40 pm 

I think the answer to your question depends alot on what part of the country you are in, and of course how much money you are willing to spend. In local moves around Colorado I have moved a 92 ton GE diesel intact as well as a pair of EG 70 ton diesels and a Baldwin 2-8-0 standard gauge steam locomotive. Long distance moves I know of have included a 50 Porter diesel from Pennsylvania to Colorado (around $15,000 in shipping costs) and the move of SP 1744 (a steam locomotive) from New Orleans to Alamosa Colorado (shipping costs around $60,000). The move might get easier if you are able to take the lcomotive apart to reduce weight. That said, anything is possible if you have enough cash to spendon the endevaour.

Jason Midyette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm 

Been done and lots of bigger and heavier special loads have been moved. What it will cost dependent on circumstances.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm 

I just watched a TV show last night where they moved an entire country church, with steeple, something like 50 miles across the prairie. Of course that was a rather involved move, lots of coordination and cubic dollars involved.

I've also see UPRR move wreck damaged locomotives by truck, and it wasn't much of a big deal at all, I think they just used pilot cars. As other have mentioned, your particular circumstances will determine your situation, and one narrow bridge or low overpass can complicate things immensely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Greetings all,
Do you think a locomotive such as an F-7 or an RS-3 cound be moved a few hundred miles and delivered to a private property that had good access to a major highway?
Or, let me phrase my question this way, what's the largest size locomotive (tonnage or size) that could reasonably be transported by truck?
Thanks, -Jason

They certainly can, but you'll need to scout very carefully for low bridges, low wires, sharp vertical curves, and bridges with low weight restrictions. If you're in open country with low population the chances improve.

Over that distance you may well need to do a flat car move to the nearest unloading point, and truck from there.

It's not cheap, it's challenging, but failing an insurmountable obstacle, it can definitely be done.

We've moved plenty of passenger and freight cars, a 4-6-0 and tender, a two story duplex section house in the past, and will be moving a snowplow fifty miles this fall. The plow's cupola will have to come off to clear low wires all along the route.

http://public.fotki.com/elliottd/sfrmeo/sfrmeo8/

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:03 pm 

Didn't I see a UP 800 class 4-8-4 being moved via truck a few years back? That's pretty serious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:31 pm 

Not sure if it's the one you're thinking of, but they moved a 4-8-8-4 in 2005.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=97800

However, it wasn't really "by truck" so much as by heavy duty rubber tired moving equipment. They can move just about anything with that stuff, I've seen video of a 5 story brick building being moved and also turned while being relocated.

However, you won't like what that kind of gear costs. Ideally, the move would be done with regular low-boy trailers or the like, so that the costs weren't astronomical.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 pm 

It would likely be alot easier if it could be partially dismantled for the move, of course that would be several trucks though. Separate the trucks and prime mover for the journey.

Don't know the condition of the private property it would be moved to but an access road for these trucks may have to be built or current access modified (trees trimmed, ect) for this.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 pm 

Seems to me like it was out in SLC or that area and it was suspended somehow. Sounds nutz I know. Of course, I'm old and maybe am dreaming.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:20 pm 

JasonB wrote:
Greetings all,

Thanks, -Jason

A lot depends on where the locomotive is in the country, a lot more can be moved by truck west of the Mississippi than can be moved in the East, and where specifically where the locomotive needs to be moved from and to. Just one under strength bridge or one low overpass may make an otherwise smooth move of many miles unworkable. The only way to know for sure is to ask a super-hauling professional.

Frisco1522 wrote:
Didn't I see a UP 800 class 4-8-4 being moved via truck a few years back? That's pretty serious.

Yes, the #833 (?) was moved from a park in Salt Lake to the museum in Ogden (about 35 miles) right up I-15. The trailer took up all three lanes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 pm 

Intermountain Rigging and HeavyHaul moved UP 833. Here are some photos of the move, and the rig.

http://southern.railfan.net/road/833/road-well.html

I believe they were one of bidders for the contract to move 6213 in 2009.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am 

The Catskill Mountain Railroad posted a series of photos documenting the processes involved in of the former Staten Island Rapid Transit S1 #407 by truck to Mount Tremper, NY:

Photo series begins with this page of the loading in Staten Island, and continues chronologically forward:
http://photos.greatrails.net/show/?orde ... ntain%20RR

Delivery to the CMRR is documented a number of pages later:
http://photos.greatrails.net/show/?orde ... ntain%20RR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:01 am 

Having moved several pieces of railway equipment by truck over the years, it usually comes down to weight and height, weight being the bigger problem. The lower the better. Remove whatever you can easily remove. Trucks, air tanks, fuel tanks, steps, even couplers. You can inspect those pieces while apart.

Also, check out the link to see what could happen, even using "professional" equipment and people. An 80-ton GE centercab on a trailer coming detached from the neck and skidding into an interstate highway bridge isn't something I would want to deal with. Moving any oversize load requires skill.

http://www.wlwt.com/r/16344073/detail.html

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 am 

joe6167 wrote:
Intermountain Rigging and HeavyHaul moved UP 833. Here are some photos of the move, and the rig.

http://southern.railfan.net/road/833/road-well.html

I believe they were one of bidders for the contract to move 6213 in 2009.

Thanks for posting the link to the photos. I wonder if the "oversize load" banner on the tractor was really necessary for that move.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 pm 

If you need help shipping rail equipment our new logistics company can help. www.ozarkraillogistics.com