It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR P70 coaches to be scrapped
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 pm 

A picture of the Long Island cab unit, and one of the Jersey Central Lines coaches....

Thought a few would find it interesting ?

Dean Levin

Attachments:
FA2.jpg
FA2.jpg [ 57.14 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]
FA.jpg
FA.jpg [ 54.36 KiB | Viewed 10611 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 pm 

I like to looks of that diesel...I need some $$$ to fix it up... anyone want to spare some change? It will go to a good cause =]

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm 

There are some down in Texas, that are pulled by Alco RSD-15s!
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=557958

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=557949

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
At least some of what is (was?) in Winslow Jct. and some/all of the cars in Texas were in service on the Texas-Mexican RR in a legitimate, true intercity passenger service years ago, ca. 1984-85. I thought at least some of them were in service on the Adirondack RR "service" to Lake Placid for the 1980 Olympic Games. At least one of the Adirondack cars ended up on the West Shore RR in Pa., and is still squirreled away somewhere in central Pa. as part of the now-mothballed "North Shore RR business train" set in limbo.

Now where did they all come from? NJ Transit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 pm 

Oh man, some of those P70FBRs are my babies!!! Done 30 (!!!) years ago in Hagerstown, then a few sold to Tex-Mex Railway in 1982. I was involved in the rebuild of 6 of the P70s back then.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 pm 

picture is somewhat of an overview of some of the equipment at Winslow Junction... In the picture the NJ Transit train is an Atlantic City train going towards Atlantic City ( to the left of the image ) ... The view is of the CNJ trackage ( where the vintage equipment is located ) , with the PRR ( WJ&S ) being the trackage where the NJ Train is, and I believe the bridge further down in the view is the old Atlantic City Railroad ( Reading )....

Once a busy place, loaded with name trains ( such as the Blue Comet, etc ) it is a mere shadow of what once was...

Dean Levin

Attachments:
READING.jpg
READING.jpg [ 51.89 KiB | Viewed 10474 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:26 am 

These cars have been thoroughly discussed about 5 years ago:

http://server.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12319&p=56128

http://server.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20829&p=89187

Has anyone confirmed who owns the P70s in the intervening years?

Thomas Cornillie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am 

Quote:
If only there was a forum on which offers of such equipment for sale could be posted, maybe connected with RyPN...........moderated by a real railroader from Ohio, perhaps.

I am still amazed by how much stuff gets scrapped without first posting them here:
http://railswap.org/cb/cl/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines&query=advanced_search&days_ago=14

and/or here:
http://server.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

At least parting them out can be done, and there is no cost to publish. Does everyone here check these time to time? I recommend bookmarking the pages.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 pm 

The P70's shown in the photos on the Austin and Texas Central came directly to them from the Midwest Railroad Historical Society in Cleveland, OH. They were the coaches that were used on the Cuyahoga Valley RR excursions behind ex-GTW #4070 in the 70's and 80's. They weren't on the Tex-Mex in the '84-'85 time frame as they were still in use on the Valley.

Ted Krumreich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 pm 

Rich,

Why has the SRNJ become unfriendly? Has the owner of these cars paid to rent the property? Does he continue to pay rent?

Seems odd that after all this time, the railroad would pick these cars out for scrapping. Is there any more background info available?

cv

arjay3 wrote:
With the recent change of ownership of the SRNJ in south Jersey it is no longer a friendly place to have old, possible historic equipment. Three privately owned P70's which have been under restoration for years at Winslow Jct. now look to be among the first that will be scrapped in place.
Others such as a LV parlor car may follow.

Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:02 pm 

The Alco cab unit is more than likely an ex Louisville & Nashville FA-2. I believe the L&N traded a number of these to GE in the late 1960s-early 1970s. They ended up on the LIRR as "Power Pack" cars, to provide HEP to the train, as well as a control cab. Many retained their Alco 244 prime movers in the process.

I had heard that somebody in the northeast was rebuilding two of the L&N units as locomotives, quite a daunting task. I know a person from RRMNE was also spearheading a similar efford on a former New Haven FA1 that ended up in a similar fate.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 pm 

Wilkinsd is correct about the FA at Winslow being ex-L&N. And he is also correct in that two other L&N powerpacks are well on their way to becoming locomotives again. I'm involved in that project; a photo of one of the rewired and repopulated electrical cabinets is in R. Craig Rutherford's book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:25 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
The Alco cab unit is more than likely an ex Louisville & Nashville FA-2. I believe the L&N traded a number of these to GE in the late 1960s-early 1970s. They ended up on the LIRR as "Power Pack" cars, to provide HEP to the train, as well as a control cab. Many retained their Alco 244 prime movers in the process.

I had heard that somebody in the northeast was rebuilding two of the L&N units as locomotives, quite a daunting task. I know a person from RRMNE was also spearheading a similar efford on a former New Haven FA1 that ended up in a similar fate.

The NH unit on the RMNE was originally NH 401. Much work was done to it but it still has a ways to go. Needs carbody work and wiring installed but has been put off to the side for years now as other work is being done on other museum equipment and facilities. Looks like us younger members will have to finish it and get her going again ;) Below is a recent pic of it,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RG1QMixeNsQ/TAazFW6PEDI/AAAAAAAACLs/DaphiAyO4Pk/s1600/DSC00147.JPG

Where in the Northeast were the two L&N units? Don't hear of many FAs around and it's got my curiousity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 pm 

Until a few years ago the SRNJ was entirely owned by the Petaccio family of Philadelphia with Joe Petaccio Jr. being the principle. Joe was the friend of everybody who had old equipment that needed a place to store it and he accumulated some of his own. Unfortunately Joe passed away from brain cancer last August. Minority partners successfully took control of the railroad earlier this year. They are interested in making money and removing the "junk" that doesn't make the railroad any money.

Rich

cjvrr wrote:
Rich,

Why has the SRNJ become unfriendly? Has the owner of these cars paid to rent the property? Does he continue to pay rent?

Seems odd that after all this time, the railroad would pick these cars out for scrapping. Is there any more background info available?

cv

arjay3 wrote:
With the recent change of ownership of the SRNJ in south Jersey it is no longer a friendly place to have old, possible historic equipment. Three privately owned P70's which have been under restoration for years at Winslow Jct. now look to be among the first that will be scrapped in place.
Others such as a LV parlor car may follow.

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:25 am 

[quote="arjay3"] Minority partners successfully took control of the railroad earlier this year. They are interested in making money and removing the "junk" that doesn't make the railroad any money.

OK, turn it into a moneymaking proposition and pay them storage. Sounds like everybody gets what they need - nothing gets scrapped faster than vandalism and rot is naturally doing it, the railroad gets some income out of a dead siding.

What I don't get it the greater concern about scrapping faster when it is just as sure to happen through neglect, although more slowly. Either way it is lost.

dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next