It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BR&W No. 60
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:55 pm 

Is Black River & Western 2-8-0 No. 60 operating yet? Or when will it enter service? The railroad's website says updates on when the engine will be running will appear in spring 2010 but there's nothing there. Any up to date information is appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: BR&W No. 60
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 pm 

I checked Railfan.net, which is usually pretty up to date on steam engines, and there is no news to report. You can register on the BR&W site to get on an e-mail notification list, if you'd like.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:29 am 

Kurt,

BRW 60 is sitting in the shop right next to LV 112, cab window to cab window.

The steam gods are putting the finishing touches on 60's re-build and will soon be calling for the hydro. The guys have done a great job over the last 7+ years and are not cutting any corner just to get her out the door in steam.

For updates visit www.brrht.org or the BRW Yahoo Group.

Scott Kwiatkowski

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am 

Scott Kwiatkowski wrote:
Kurt,

The guys have done a great job over the last 7+ years and are not cutting any corner just to get her out the door in steam.
Thank god they aren't cutting corners, we don't want the 60 to end up like the PRR 1361..

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:54 pm 

SPpacificfan-

I don't think any corners were cut during the restoration of PRR 1361. Where did you get this information?

I believe you will find, if you do the tiniest bit of research, that a design flaw, dating back to the teens, was discovered while the calculations for a new Form 4 were being done.

For what it is worth, this same design flaw also is present on the two LIRR G-5s, and maybe on some other PRR locomotives, yet to be evaluated for possible restoration.

EDM

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:49 pm 

Ok quickly, let's get off of the 1361 topic here (there are plenty of other topics about that) and get back to #60, ok?

Scott - thanks for the update! I've asked around on other sites recently (since there haven't been any updates to the steam part of the BR&W website since late March) and you're the first one to have any substantial response. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:53 pm 

Yes! lets stay off the 13...

I've watched the steam gods work on 60 for years now, we have have lunch together on Saturdays, its great camaraderie.

It is a great crew comprised of mechanical, electrical and chemical engineers. Former RR guys from the 60's and couple of young machinists and diesel mechanics.

Walking into that shop, you become a time traveler going back 70 years.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:03 pm 

Scott:
Since you seem to have the ear of those at Ringoes, could you give us an update as to the goings-on there? They used to have a link up for news on the steam operation but that has disappeared lately. If one clicks on the link for the Bel-Del operation on the BR&W homepage the page that comes up says that the Bel-Del and NYS&W 142 are the only steam operation running in NJ.

The last status for #60 said they were working on training and such for the steam crew the intimation being that #60 made her hydro test okay and was ready to go. Would be a shame that after all this time and getting our hopes up via the website progress reports the old gal won't be running this year (or anytime). I did signup for status updates on the steam program but have never received any emails from them.

Thanks.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm 

I'm a member of the BRRHT, and according to the email updates I've been getting, they're annulling trains left and right as it is due to a lack of available qualified volunteer train crewmen. Not sure how they're going to come up with the necessary steam-qualified crews when they want to run 60. Though I've heard stories from other places about how people tend to come out of the woodwork when steam is running who had been conveniently "too busy" when the steamer was under restoration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:48 pm 

Jack,

Just yesterday I saw the guys filling 60 with water and doing some pressure tests. Not sure how they made out. But I can tell you that they are trying to get her into service this season.

We are a volunteer organization and run regularly scheduled excursion trains. As Limejuice pointed out, we have a big challenge crewing trains. So as far as the web site updates are concerned, again volunteers, or should I say one volunteer, takes care of the website. While we try our best to keep things up to date, we need to focus on our priorities, and unfortunately web updates for 60 are not on that list.

Because truth be told, the railfan community does not pay the bills; families with children do. So that is our primary focus on our website.

If you are interested in 60, feel free to send me an e-mail or just stop by since you are so close. We are always looking for volunteers to help us crew trains, restore equipment or just help with odds and ends. We have a great bunch of people and as the old 80/20 rule applies, those dedicated 20%ers are doing 80% of the work.

BTW, Limejuice, next time you see me at Ringoes let me know who you are. I might however try to rope you into web updates for 60!

Scott Kwiatkowski
BRRHT Board of Director
scott@brrht.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 pm 

Scott and limejuice:
Thanks for the updates. I'd love to be able to help but I may not be physically up to par - I use a cane to get around due to 2 bad knees from a skiing accident years ago. Climbing ladders and getting down on the ground are 2 things I can't do. Maybe there's some other way I could help? I'm prematurely retired since 2007 so there's lots of time on my hands (if my wife will let me).

PS: I don't know why but I never got an email notification of replies here even though I have the box checked for replies. I'm on Verizon FIOS and nothing's in their spam trap - is Verizon a known problem? I do have another email account that's on an Australian server - Telstra (big footy fan).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:21 am 

Any updates on the status of #60?
I see on the BR&W site that most of the weekend excursions have been cut back to Sundays only which is not unexpected given the economy and what's been previously posted here. But it's been 4 months and then some and there's no updates to the steam page (which doesn't even have a link from the main page). It would be nice to at least have some idea of whether the steam operation is going to happen or not. I know what Scott K has posted here but the general public who probably doesn't know about this site will have no idea of what's going on. There are updates for other things going on with the Trust & excursions, corn maze etc. - why not the steam program?
Or is the steam program kaput for this season (and probably for the foreseeable future)?

Post subject: Re: BR&W No. 60 "UPDATE"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 pm 

60 passed the FRA hydro test today.

Not sure when they will be firing her up, but I would imagine it will be soon.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:59 pm 

Good news.
So this firing will be the second time she's been fired this year as I seem to recall some pics up on the site and there was smoke coming out of the stack. Hopefully there'll be runs before the excursion season is over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 pm 

Update from the official website:

"Oct 19, 2010: #60 has officially passed her required FRA inspection! Preparations are underway for break-in runs on the BR&W."

Excellent news! Question is - when? :)