It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP NEEDED- 1901 Pullman PV being SOLD at ABSOULTE AUCTION-
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:26 pm 

I work for a real estate brokerage and auction company and we are selling a 1901 Private Varnish Pullman railcar at ABSOLUTE AUCTION December 4, 2010 at historic Ashburn Hill Plantation in Moultrie, GA. I would love to see this car preserved by a private collector or bought by a museum for preservation. It is being sold to the highest bidder regardless of price and I would hate to see it turned into scrap metal. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Below is the details and contact information:

Private Varnish “Moultrie” Rail Car
• Located on Historic Ashburn Hill Plantation in Moultrie, GA
• Built in 1901 by Pullman Manufacturing Company from Floor Plan #1744B, Lot #2796 for the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad and was listed #502 and originally named “Mt. Vernon”
• Purchased in 1958 by C.W. Pidcock (Georgia Northern Railway) from C&EI and renamed it “Moultrie”. Later sold.
• Repurchased in 1988 by Frank W. Pidcock, III from Am South and moved to present site at Ashburn Hill Plantation and is retired.
• Railcar is 80 feet long, weighs approximately 90 tons, and the length from coupler to coupler is 81 feet, 6 inches
• Wooden Railcar that was later covered with steel: not rail approved
• Railcar contains 3BR, Dining Room, Observation Room, Galley and Crew quarters.
• Bedrooms contain basin and toilet, with 1BR w/shower
• Mahogany interior
• Restored to original Pullman green and trimmed in gold stripes and lettering
• Portion of dining room wall pulls down for murphy bed
• Minor renovations were added to include electrical supply, plumbing hookups, and water heater
• Used as lodging for guests to Ashburn Hill Plantation, previously a commercial quail hunting operation.

Railcar is being sold at ABSOLUTE AUCTION, Saturday, December 4, 2010
**Being Sold Separate to Being Moved. Purchaser Responsible for Shipping**

For more information, pictures or a private showing please contact:

Eric McCollum
The Wright Group
120 East Jackson St., Thomasville, GA 31792
229-226-2564
eric@wrightbroker.com
www.wrightbroker.com

Post subject: Re: HELP NEEDED- 1901 Pullman PV being SOLD at ABSOULTE AUCTION-
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:51 pm 

A set of photos would be really nice. Thanks.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm 

Undated photo from the plantations website:

http://www.ashburnhill.com/AHP/content/ ... large.html

Fred F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:01 pm 

Stephen, how deep is your wallet? You guys need this.....

dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:14 pm 

Dave wrote:
Stephen, how deep is your wallet? You guys need this.....

dave

Wasn't this one featured in one of the Beebe books??

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:29 pm 

Not that deep, Dave. I was afraid this day would come sooner than later. You know I had hoped to get this car donated to Thronateeska Heritage Center, and I had started making contacts back in the late 1990's, but...my contact Frank Pidcock, III died and it seems the family has no interest in the railroading heritage of the family. Combine that with the fact that I now have no connection or association with the museum (since mid-June) and the museum's Executive Director has no interest in adding anything to the collection, regardless of local significance. The fact that the addition of this car to the museum would give the museum a consist of steam locomotive (Georgia Northern 107), the last surviving revenue passenger car to operate on the Georgia Northern (combine No. 38) and the last business car owned by the railroad would be of no consequence to the Ex. Director. The prospects for local preservation are not good. Maybe I'll make some calls tomorrow.

Some additional info about the car:
It was the 3rd business car owned by the Georgia Northern, but only the second to carry the name "MOULTRIE". The first "MOULTRIE" is now preserved at the Henry Flagler museum in West Palm Beach, FL. The second business car was "THE GOLD COAST", purchased by Beebe & Clegg, and now in the California State Railroad Museum. It never carried the name "MOULTRIE" while on the Georgia Northern. It was simply the "100".

I do have some photos from October 2005 I could send if anyone is interested. When it was at AmSouth (a bank) in Dothan, AL, before it was re-acquired by Frank Pidcock and moved to the plantation (this is a hunting plantation, BTW), a doorway was cut in the left side hallway between the observation lounge and the dining room. It has been sealed up but not restored with steel plate. A minor issue, at best, compared to everything else. The interior is completely intact, which seems strange since it was used at a bank. At the plantation it was used as a bunkhouse for guest hunters. The building it sits adjacent to is the original Moultrie, GA Georgia Northern depot, moved from its original location downtown, near where Georgia Northern 105 is exhibited.

By the way, there is (or was, maybe?) an ICG cupola caboose on the plantation that was used as a tack room. Not sure if it is up for auction, too. Feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:41 pm 

add to that, another 400+ acres being sold in 24 divided lots (obviously for housing development)...we not only lose railroad heritage, we lose more open space.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 am 

Too bad, Stephen. If there's anybody with a brain who's not a military historian in Savannah, maybe that's a possibility - the shortline might be willing to make a hospital move. Don't know if SERM might be in a position to save it.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:31 pm 

Received this earlier today. For anyone curious about Georgia Northern Railway "MOULTRIE" (2nd)

http://bms.imprev.net/bms/event/click?u ... 86cc623046

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:44 pm 

I have just emailed someone WITH deep pockets, very interested in preservation. Let's keep fingers (and toes) crossed!

Jim Tatum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 am 

Thanks Stephen for posting the virtual tour I sent to you. Hope that will help everyone see what we are dealing with.

Hopefully, we can find someone that is interested in preserving this car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:28 pm 

Thanks for everyone's help on trying to find someone to preserve this car. Hopefully, we will have someone step up this weekend. FYI, we just added a 1971 steel cupula caboose to the auction as well if anyone is interested. It will be sold absolute as well with no reserves and no minimums. There is a picture of the caboose on our website at www.wrightbroker.com Go to auction services and search for upcoming auctions-Ashburn Hill. Please call me for any additional information. Eric McCollum 229-226-2564

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:24 am 

Don't let any scrappers in the door... -wink-

(but if its anything like the scrapper in Roanoke who didnt scrap 4 locomotives now saved, there is still hope!)

being a wooden car I don't think there would be THAT much valuable metal, if it is in reasonable good condition, restoration will far more valuable than to cut it up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm 

Great news! Georgia Northern Railway business car MOULTRIE (ex-C&EI 502, MOUNT VERNON; Pullman, 1901, Plan 1744B, Lot 2796; r/n C&EI 354 in 1939(?);to GN Ry MOULTRIE in 1958) is staying put!

The Ashburn Hill Plantation property was divided into multiple tracts with the Moultrie, GA Georgia Northern Ry depot area of the plantation kept intact. The local family that purchased the depot tract at auction yesterday (December 4, 2010) also purchased the car specifically to preserve it. They intend to do some badly needed preservation work on the car, and the Central of Georgia Railway Historical Society, which holds the Bill Pippin Collection of Georgia Northern artifacts and papers and of which I am a Board member, will be assisting through providing what sparce documentation exists for this car during its relatively brief time on the railroad. Referral to any other resources would be appreciated!

Now a question:
For a short time, from 1986 to 1988 or 1989, Ashburn Hill Plantation was home to the Canadian Pacific Railway business car ONTARIO, reportedly constructed in CP's Angus Shops at Ontario, Canada in 1928 and headquartered in Toronto until 1959. At that time it was assigned to the superintendent in Smith Falls until 1964 when it was transferred the superintendent in London, then back to Smith Falls in 1969. Listed as a spare car from 1971-1973, then reassigned to Smith Falls until 1975 when it was deactivated. In 1980 the ONTARIO was purchased and restored by R.G. Chaplin, VP of Canadian General Tower, Ltd. in Cambridge, Ontario. Frank R. Pidcock III purchased the car in 1986 and had it moved to the plantation in late summer that year. It was placed on the west end of the Georgia Northern depot that had been relocated to the plantation in spring 1985. The car was painted (or repainted?) a tuscan color, lettered GEORGIA NORTHERN RAILWAY, and renamed ASHBURN HILL. (Info from Frank Pidcock III's book "Rails, Quail & Ashburn Hill", published privately in 1988)

And so the question is this: What has happened to the ONTATIO/ASHBURN HILL since leaving the plantation? Does it survive somewhere, maybe as a PV or in a museum? The ONTARIO was sold sometime soon after the MOULTRIE was acquired in 1988 and moved to the plantation from Dothan, AL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:38 pm 

Great news to hear that the GN office car has been saved!

It's interesting that a CPR office car made it that far south, and has apparently vanished. Two points: Angus Shops were in Montreal, and CPR heavyweight passenger equipment was painted Tuscan red.

Walt Lankenau