It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman "Cornhusker Club"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:11 am 

I was in Omaha last week on business, managed to spend some time at the Durham Museum at Omaha Union Station. Nice museum with good rail displays. The lightweight 6-4-6 Pullman National Command was of particular interest, and nicely restored.

I was also very interested in the heavyweight Pullman 10 section obs car re-named Cornhusker Club. I remember reading the article in a 1960s issue of Trains magazine on when the car was initially acquired from Pullman. Great steps were made to match the interior paint, upholstery, and lounge furniture to that of an in-service Pullman car.

Today, the car, as exhibited, has, from my perspective, a less-authentic interior. For example, the lounge end of the car no longer has lounge furniture, but a large dining table and chairs that purportedly came from a historic home in Omaha. The car also has house-style curtains on the windows, yet no RR style shades. Does anyone know when these changes took place? Regardless, the car is in very good shape, and is inside in a climate controlled building, and should last for ages. Given the fact that you can walk into the car makes it a great display piece.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Post subject: Re: Pullman "Cornhusker Club"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:28 pm 

Oh this is very troubling to learn. We need to contact these misguided souls and beg that they fix what has happened. This is so often what we see anymore...somebody has a perfectly fine railroad car and even though the proper reference resources are available they choose to "fix it up" with common and inappropriate junk.

Do we still call them a museum or an "amatuer decorators showcase"?

How do they justify this action? Did they paint the outside orange with silver wheels and a red roof? Why not? They might as well!

We need to get comments from PLATFORMCAR on this serious situation.

Does this museum get state or federal grants to commit these abominations? Does anybody have photographs of this mess?

T7

Post subject: Re: Pullman "Cornhusker Club"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm 

With regard to the interior colors, I'm willing to plead ignorance. I'm only familiar with the late-era Pullman heavyweights, where everything is painted the same color, and the upholstery was a green plush. The curtains don't look right to me, as do the seat coverings, and the of course the dinning table in the obs compartment. I also apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos. I usually spend too much time looking at stuff at museums, instead of trying to take photos, they are usually an afterthought.

Ask and ye shall receive :

Mr. Termite's comments remind me of a business car I saw at another unnamed museum. The car had signs stating that it has been part of an interior decorating showcase. It even had a piano rolled into the rear compartment. Must have been hard to sleep in the car going down the tracks with the piano clanging away with every bump and rail joint.

Attachments:
Cornhusker3.JPG
Cornhusker3.JPG [ 96.64 KiB | Viewed 3308 times ]
Cornhusker2.JPG
Cornhusker2.JPG [ 57.6 KiB | Viewed 3308 times ]
Conhusker1.JPG
Conhusker1.JPG [ 66.5 KiB | Viewed 3308 times ]

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."