It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Location of operational Alco 244 powered locomotives?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 pm 

With the recent post about the NYSW RS3's I thought it would be appropriate for members of this group to compile a list of what 244 powered locomotives are considered operational as of this month?
Rich

Delaware Lackawanna has four RS3's
Battenkill has two RS3's

Others?

Post subject: Re: Location of operational Alco 244 powered locomotives?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 am 

RMNE's New Haven 529 awaits installation of a reconditioned cylinder head, and it would then be serviceable. This work is planned for sometime in the next week or so. However, the locomotive will be stored until spring (cooling system drained for the winter), as we are shut down for the winter and have no need for 529 right now.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 am 

And 529 is well worth the trip to Thomaston Connecticut to see in operation. Put it on your list of things to do for the new year.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm 

There are RS-3's at both Illinois Railway Museum (Minnesota Transfer Ry) and Monticello (Illinois) Railway Museum (LIRR, painted for IC / green diamond) which either operate or did so in the not too distant past.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:00 pm 

I rode behind a New York Central-painted RS-3 on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad out of Thendara, New York, two years ago. Is No. 8229 still running?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 pm 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
I rode behind a New York Central-painted RS-3 on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad out of Thendara, New York, two years ago. Is No. 8229 still running?

Currently no, the turbo failed and it's out for repair. I would still call it "operational" as it will run again when fixed and isn't a static display or long term stored unit.

I heard the museum on Long Island is planning on starting thier ex-LIRR RS-3 #1556 in the next few months. Hopefully they will be successful in that and there's no major problems with it that show up.

I thought there was another NYC RS-3 out in Kansas or there abouts that's still running?

It seems to me that most, if not all, of the 244 powered engines are concentrated in the Eastern U.S. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are out west. The funny thing is even when new most of them were purchased mostly by Eastern railroads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 pm 

What about ex B&M 1508 RS3 (nee D&H 4075) that was last known to be at the RMNE?

This same engine did a stint at Steamtown and the Western Maryland Scenic.

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm 

Isn't there an RS-2 running on the Texas State Railroad along with a MRS-3.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm 

Joshua K. Blay wrote:
What about ex B&M 1508 RS3 (nee D&H 4075) that was last known to be at the RMNE?

This same engine did a stint at Steamtown and the Western Maryland Scenic.

Joshua

We still have it and it's ironic that you mentioned that one. It was moved out of storage and to the shop site in October. Howard may have a better estimate but I'll say it's 2 years out from running. I've been tinkering with it some the past two months, gave it a general cleaning and have lubed the cylinders to prep it to bar it over. It has a damaged traction motor that needs replacement, that's the main hinderance with the 1508 right now and why it was set off to the side when it arrived. The ball has just recently started rolling for it's traction motor replacement. It's currently still wearing the Cheasing Central and Owosso "NYC" inspired paint scheme from it's stint in Michigan.

We also still have the Maine Central #557 RS-3. That unit needs a bit more work and still remains in long term storage. I would give that unit a 8-10 year estimate before it gets it's turn in the shop and worked on. Radiators, brake plumbing and electrical work are the main things known needed. This is the unit I can't personally wait to work on, and likely would never have become very active with RMNE if they didn't have it.

There's also the FA-1 New Haven 0401. That has been put on hold as other projects took priority. Needs even more work than the 557 but should get going again with it's restoration after that RS gets running.

(RMNE has a 5th 244 powered unit, another RS-3 but is strictly a parts unit. Never will run again, and hasn't for 20+ years, but will help support the other 4 244 engines. Amtrak 140, originally a Pennsylvania unit, #8912 I believe)

So that's the cliff notes on our 244 engines, with NH RS-3 #529 mentioned in previous posts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 am 

NYC 8223 at ADK is NYC's first RS-3 (they had over 100, I recall). It needs major turbocharger work, and is privately owned.

The Texas State unit was a complete RS-2 (a rare bird these days), and the 244 engine was yanked by Brookville and replaced with a Cat or Cummins--- it's not an Alco anymore.

The Nevada Northern has at least 2 Kennicott Copper (?) RS-3s with 244 engines and one of those units has been operable until very recently (may still be...).

The NYC RS-3 in Kansas is at Midland Railway and is owned by Mike Fox- he also owns one or both of the nicely-restored and operational NYC E8s at Medina, NY.

B&M 1508 was ridden hard and put away wet and tired by her previous operators. She is very original, but needs a good bit of cosmetic work and lots of "little stuff", such as piping and hose replacement, cooling system and lube oil system cleaning, gasket replacement, etc. to make a good unit. One traction motor started to show signs of string band coming apart after the trip home from Michigan in 2005, so that motor will be replaced before the loco operates.

MEC 557 is almost identical to B&M 1508; they were built to 99% the same specs about 6 months apart. 557 is also a very original unit, cosmticlally in somewhat better shape than 1508, but also a loco that needs mechanical TLC. Like almost all RS-3s, it suffers from "RS-3 Radiator Disease".

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:00 am 

Is there not an RS2 or RS3 out on the Nevada Northern? My foamer-sense is telling me that that's the case.

-Micah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:58 am 

The Nevada Northern has 1 each, RS-2 & RS-3 serviceable.

There was the RS-C something from New Hope that is stored at the Danbury Rwy Museum, but I don't think she is serviceable any longer.

Same goes for Mid Continent's 6 Axle RS, though there was talk of returning it to service.

Then there was the CNW 6 axle RS at Cuyahoga Valley. Don't know if it runs any longer or not. They also have the former D&H Rs-3

New York & Greenwood Lake also has a former D&H RS-3.

There is the LV "Hammerhead" RS-3 near Buffalo.

Yreka Western had an Alco MRS-1, but it was on life support as of a few years ago.

I think Railtown has an Alco MRS-1 in service as well.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm 

LV 211 "the Hammerhead" is at Rochester & Geneesee Valley; it has an EMD 567C in it-- a Dewitt rebuild, and is therefore "off list". Gotta have the original and proper "heart" to be an Alco....

The Monticello group has an LIRR RS-3 done up as ICRR; I think that one is operable. It was ex-Gettysburg RR.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:54 pm 

To me, an RS-3 is about as close to a steam locomotive as a diesel can get.
DBH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm 

Ack! Howard, I had know idea!

... Goes to sob in a corner mumbling "I can't even look at you now"....

Dave