It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jim Boyd 1941-2011
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Forwarded from Carstens/Railfan & Railroad's website:

Quote:
It is with deep sadness that Carstens Publications relates the news that Jim Boyd has passed away. Jim started with Carstens Publications working on Flying Models and later Railroad Model Craftsman. Jim served as editor of Railfan & Railroad from the magazine's inception in 1974 until 1998, and continued as editor emeritus and author of the popular Camera Bag column until his passing. We'll pass along details as they become available.

Steve Barry
Railfan & Railroad

An e-mail address has been set up for condolences: JimBoydMemories@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: Jim Boyd 1941-2011
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm 

Jim was truly one of the kindest and most helpful people in the railroad and publishing industries, and a wonderful friend. He will be fondly remembered.

What an absolutely great person.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 pm 

I got to know Jim when I was working for the Morristown & Erie. After I moved to Texas, he picked me up at my mom's hose so we could go to dinner. I showed him where the New York and Long Branch connected with the Pennsy Main Line in Rahway. At this spot 3 levels of track cross over Inman Avenue - He turned to me and said "I always wanted to get here but never found out how - until now!
Later he visited the Huckleberry RR at least 3 times. On his first visit he road 3/4 of the way around, then turned to me and said - "This is a real railroad!"
Clear Blocks, Jim!

Last edited by Martyhuck on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:32 am 

I knew Jim through Carstens. He was always kind to me. For all we may remember about him as a photographer, he was a good storyteller and his stories - in person and in print - are what I will remember most.

Can you imagine, in pre Internet days, it was through Jim's magazine that I learned about preservation projects like #765?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 am 

RIP Jim. He was a great guy, and did a lot for the railfan community. Here's my tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA3hLn3I ... r_embedded
Thanks for all that you have done Jim!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 am 

I first met Jim in the spring of 1967 when he was working for EMD and delivering B&O's 3800 series GP38s at Cumberland, MD. For about a decade afterward it seemed like every time I'd look around, there he was again. Great guy, great loss for the hobby.
RIP, Jim.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 am 

Sad news indeed. I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim Boyd, but as a kid with a big interest in steam, I remember reading his articles on the 2101, 614, and 611 among others and just being consumed with his words. His writing style put the reader in the cab!
I was passing the news along to a member of the SLCA crew and we both commented on how Mr. Boyd 'put the people' in his story so well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:02 am 

Jim was a great friend of railroading in general and steam in particular.

His gift as a writer enabled thousands to feel that they were able to be in the cab of many locomotives over time and he undoubtedly started many, many railfans on the road to becomeing dedicated fans.

Jim will be sorely missed.

If someone gets the details of his funeral arrangements please post.

R.I.P.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am 

I met him through S.C.U.B.A. diving and his books. I helped with some corrections to the draft of the recent article about the trolley museum at Scranton, Pa. That was to be a chapter in a History of Steamtown, including its previous locations. I wonder if someone will continue that work.

Jim Boylan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 am 

Sad news indeed. I knew Jim since we were both members of the Men's Residence Halls Model Railroad Club at the University of Illinois. Founding members probably as it was formed in about 1961-62. We met occasionaly over the years and he was always glad to see old friends who shared our hobby (of career in his case). I still kick myself not going with him when invited to ride an IC fan trip in Kentucky which turned out to be the last steam run on the line with a 4-8-2. We both took turns flunking out of the school later anyway, but my crystal ball wasn't working too good at the time. May all Jim's signals be a High Green.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm 

JimBoylan wrote:
I helped with some corrections to the draft of the recent article about the trolley museum at Scranton, Pa. That was to be a chapter in a History of Steamtown, including its previous locations. I wonder if someone will continue that work.

Jim Boylan

Jim did indeed complete the Steamtown book; it was his last. He dropped off a copy at the Railfan office around Thanksgiving. It will be released by Morning Sun in March.

Due to snow along the route, Jim's sister has still not arrived in NJ as of this writing and we are not sure what the arrangements will be. Will let you know when we find out.

Walt Lankenau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:38 pm 

A memorial service will be held for Jim Boyd at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow, Saturday, January 8, 2011 at Iliff-Ruggiero Funeral Home, 156 Main St. (Rt. 206), Newton, NJ 07860

Walt Lankenau

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 am 

The last time I saw Jim was at Steamtown during the NRHS convention last year. I was shocked at how unsteady he was on his feet as I gave him a hand and helped him walk up to the restored F3's. He was a great guy and a great story teller with a smile that could really light up a room. Knew him for many years and saddened that he is gone.

Richard Jahn
ARHS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:27 pm 

Many of us who saw Jim frequently and went to Tri-State and Jersey Central chapter meetings with him had noticed the unsteadyness that Rich mentions. Jim was still usually sharp and bright, but his many medical problems were clearly causing him great pain. I had dinner with him one evening a couple weeks before Christmas at Yetters in Augusta, NJ (North of Newton). He looked incredibly fragile. When we finished, his car was parked in front of the restaurant and mine was on the side, and it was very cold outside, so we talked a minute in the entry before departing. I commented "Enjoy the Holidays Jim" knowing he had close friends he usually visited and he replied "I'll give you a call in the New Year".

As I walked out to my car there was a gust of wind that blew through my coat and was so cold that it just stunned me. In that fraction of a second a thought shot through my mind that this might be the last time I would see him, but I could see he was getting into his car and thought he would probably be OK.

Of course that indeed did turn out to be the last time I would see him, he did not make it to the New Year.

As the years go by, the passing of your friends dawns as an inevitable reality, and you start to wonder when the next bad news is going to arrive. When it does happen, often you wonder if there might have been more you could have done or said. During the get together at Yetters we talked about the industry, the hobby, our projects, and our plans. It was a happy time full of enthusiastic discussion. It was an absolutely perfect last meeting with a great friend.

I am very grateful for the many friends of Jim who have been in frequent contact with me since the events became known, and have kept me updated on the situation. It is so much better to hear about this from friends than to discover it later through the media.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 am 

Just wanted to pass on that I attended Jims memorial service yesterday afternoon in Newton,NJ.

The room was packed to capacity with friends from both the diving and ralifan communities and the service delivered by the pastor was quick moving and effective.

Jims sole sibling,sister Barbara, was bouyed by the large turnout and the many testimonials of Jims friends.

Ross Rowland