It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "Surviving World Steam Project" returns to the web
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm 

The Surviving World Steam Project is documenting the last of the world's remaining steam locomotives; ships; boats; vehicles; and reciprocating pumps in the form of searchable databases and digital photographs. Over 38,000 steam engines and over 6000 photographs in 158 countries are included in the Surviving World Steam project.

The entire project was overhauled and updated in November/December of 2010, and is now available at a NEW address:

http://www.survivingworldsteam.org

(My .com domain name was snapped up when my website went black in 2008; and I feel that the .org domain is closer to nature of the project.)

Version 3.0 of the Surviving World Steam Project is a complete update from the previous release of the project. It includes the following features:
The entire project has been updated to 32-bit code, and will work on all versions of Windows from Windows 95 onward. The program front end has also been updated.

You can now choose to have your CD shipped to you, or downloaded from a website. (There is an additional $5.00 charge for delivery via mail on CD.)

The "Google" button allows you to go to the location listed in the location field in Google maps, using your default web browser. There, you can get driving directions, look for the engine using Google's aerial photographs and street view, get contact information, or search for more information. Roughly 3,000 of the 38,000 records in the Project have been checked to date; others will be checked as time allows. (Private sites by design should not work to maintain the privacy of owners.) Surviving World Steam programs now allow you to possess your own data like a paperback register (instead of relying on an Internet connection and a website that could disappear without warning), search and sort as a database, add your own photographs, and serve as your information gateway to the Internet.

A new "scrapped" filter lets you exclude those engines that have been confirmed scrapped since the project was started in 1990s.

Rather than just a selected few photographs; the program CDs now include all photographs collected to date. (See below for totals.) Roughly one in four of all the steam engines documented in the Surviving World Steam Project are now pictured in their respective databases.

The Surviving World Steam Locomotive CD now includes all 51 sounds clips.
Existing users can receive Version 3.0 of their existing databases at a reduced price of $20.00 US (same as the previous Update CDs.) It is a new install; and does NOT transfer pictures from your current copy of the database.

For more details, please see the new website. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much for your interest and support in the first decade of the Surviving World Steam Project; I am looking forward to new discoveries in the new decade.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

Post subject: Re: The "Surviving World Steam Project" returns to the web
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm 

James-

Have you ever made your CD's Mac compatible? I have them but can't open them on my Mac.

-Jim Herron

Post subject: Re: The "Surviving World Steam Project" returns to the web
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 am 

Jim Herron wrote:
James-

Have you ever made your CD's Mac compatible? I have them but can't open them on my Mac.

-Jim Herron

Jim;

The new version will stand a better chance of working on your Mac than the old ones. If you want to try them; PM me, and I will send you a link where you can download it for free (since the old ones did not work.)

If you have MacOSx running on an Intel processor; you can then install the Wine Windows emulator for MacOSX:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

If you are willing and able to install Wine, you may then be able to run them on your Mac using Wine.

I set up Fedora 14 and the KDE Desktop on an old Compaq Presario 5000 with 512MB of RAM. I then installed Wine Release 1.3.9, and set up a default printer (on my Windows machine, no less) and an internet connection.

Once I did that, the install routine for each CD ran flawlessly. The Program icons were installed on the KDE Application Launcher under Applications - Wine - Programs - Surviving World Steam. The listing worked once a default printer was specified; pressing F1 opened help, as designed. Clicking on the "google button" opened the location up in Google Maps using Konqueror, KDE Desktop's default web browser. Sorting worked with no problems; but the picture field caused problems with searches and paging through the records. The sound clips worked once I set up a sound driver in Wine; I did not have a Quicktime video player set up to play the video clips. (I installed Fedora, installed Wine, set up the internet and a file share and printer share to a Windows box, installed all four programs and tested in just a 24 hour period.) Performance was comparible to running the same programs on Windows on a faster computer.

The picture fields generated an error message every time the contents changed, and did not display the picture; but that was only serious error I encountered. If you have a Mac with an Intel processor, installing Wine may work for you. I will be glad to assist you if you wish; in return a screen shot of the results would be appreciated.

On the screen shots page below, you can see a screen shot of the programs running under Wine on Fedora 14, along with the various versions of Windows.

http://www.survivingworldsteam.org/screens.htm

Once again; PM me if you are interested.

I will never develop a version solely for Macintosh and/or Unix because the demand just doesn't justify the effort. The entire project would have to be rewritten; none of the program code nor the database engine will port to the Mac or Unix. And despite the gains made by Apple and the various flavors of Linux over the years; Mac and Unix users have steadfastly made up less than 10% of the visitors to my website.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society