It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saddle Tank on the move
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm 

A friend of mine saw an 0-4-0 headed north on I-75 north of Atlanta this afternoon around 4pm. Said it was in pretty poor shape and was missing the cab.

Anyone know where this locomotive came from and where it is going?

Post subject: Re: Saddle Tank on the move
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 pm 

That would be Flagg Coal's newest's acquisition, coming from Florida...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 368&ref=mf

Their album description: "Went to Miami, Florida, to the Gold Coast Railroad Museum to help load Coronet Phosphate #7 for the trip to northern Indiana."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:04 am 

Obviously an 0-4-2T, not a 0-4-0. Built by ALCO at its Cooke Works as an engine for stock and sold to Coronet Phosphate in 1920. Serial number 61585. She is one of 3 surviving 0-4-2T's from that company. Number 6 is at HVRM in North Judson, Indiana and I believe number 8 is on display somewhere in Florida, without its saddletank. There are also 2 surviving Coronet Phosphate 2-6-2T's; number 5 is at a private railroad museum in Minnesota and number 9 was moved fairly recently from Monee, Illinois to IRM in Union, Illinois.

Five steamers from this outfit made it to preservation. Pretty good record! Considering the Gramling's wonderful history on steam restoration, we will certainly see number 7 back in operation sometime down the road.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 am 

There is something to be said for the ability at the end of the day to roll your locomotive up onto a trailer and take it back home with you. Almost as if that lowboy was built just for this engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:45 am 

So many people would write this little locomotive off without so much as a second look, because of its poor cosmetic condition. Thank goodness there are people like the Gramlings who aren't afraid to take a good look and tackle a job like this.

Good for you, guys, and hopefully after this old girl receives some badly needed TLC, she will give you many years of troublefree service.

A great lesson and inspiration for the rest of us...

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
On the one hand, I'm more than a little irritated at the prospect of a legitimate, distinctive Florida rail artifact leaving a Florida rail museum--their only non-Pacific steamer, to boot--while stuff with no ties to Florida is left behind.

On the other hand, the "before" pictures above show what this loco looked like after at least forty years in the hands of "preservationists"--a private owner and one or two NRHS chapters before donation to Gold Coast in 1982............ so.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
On the one hand, I'm more than a little irritated at the prospect of a legitimate, distinctive Florida rail artifact leaving a Florida rail museum--their only non-Pacific steamer, to boot--while stuff with no ties to Florida is left behind.

Yes but if I am not mistaken the Gramling's have a history of trucking stuff down to Florida for running. Who's to say this wont become there "Florida" locomotive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:33 pm 

Maybe Gold Coast or whoever had possession of it should have tried a little harder to do something with it instead of letting it become an above ground time capsule.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 am 

Like many old school, first generation railroad museums, Gold Coast has been through a lot of evolution and change, some well planned, some accidental, some just not well thought out. They are still in the process of dealing with the practical and political realities of right-sizing their collection, constantly evaluating their mission and the resources they have to maintain a mission, and dealing with the vagaries of Dade County government and MetroZoo as next door neighbors / semilandlords.

Recognizing this was surplus to their needs and finding it a good home with a proven operator - which took years to accomplish - shows good management, good preservation and maturity. I looked at some of their surplus offerings for the Savannah museum several years ago, and this was on the list at that time. Wish I had room for it in my driveway.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 am 

I feel I should address the idea that engines and other railroad equipment end up in the hands of organizations and individuals that don't do anything with them. All five of our engines (counting Barney's Plymouth) were owned by organizations and/or individuals that, for a variety of reasons, were never able to do what they planned with them and had to let them set and deteriorate. It is easy to be critical of what they did or didn't do but in every case money and a lot of effort was put forth to save the engines. If it wasn't for them Barney and I would not have the chance to do what we have done and hope to do. These persons or organizations may not have done what they hoped to but they deserve credit for what they accomplished. They SAVED the engines and now others can continue the preservation work.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm 

John -

Well said!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:53 pm 

The important thing is that the days of hoarding equipment are largely over as well. Museums are more willing to put up noncontributing and/or neglected equipment for sale or trade than they once were, making these acquisitions possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm 

The photos are an interesting demonstration of the utility of the trailing truck. Note how much larger the firebox is. I suspect this engine will be an easy steamer.