It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milwaukee Road branchline combine?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 am 

While looking for something on the internet, I stumbled across Randall Hicks wonderful Hicks Car Works site and his section on roadside railroad diners:

http://hickscarworks.blogspot.com/2008/ ... iners.html

There is a restaurant listed called The Siding in Peru, Indiana. A photo shows a couple of Milwaukee Road cars as part of the restaurant, including what looks like it could be one of their homebuilt branchline combines. But there appears to be too many passenger car windows in the one photo, although it is hard to tell for sure because of the camera angle. I found some recent reviews of the restaurant on the web, but no additional pictures. I wonder if there are any photos of the car that someone might be able to post. Thanks.

Les

Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Road branchline combine?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 am 

Les, the photo in your link shows a coach with its vestibule cut away (note remaining upper ends of crash posts/diapragm hardware), not an open-platform car.

How many "real" Milwaukee open-platform, rib-sided steel branchline combines are still around? I recently saw some interior builder's photos showing that these were delivered with oil lighting, among other anachronistic features.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 am 

George Jackson Churchward wrote:
How many "real" Milwaukee open-platform, rib-sided steel branchline combines are still around?

I believe the Indiana Railway Museum at French Lick still has the Milwaukee "branchline" combine they acquired from the old Reader Railroad.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 am 

A quick Google search also revealed car 2713 in Mendota IL, car 2716 in Peoria IL, and car 2756 in Saint Paul (Jackson Street Roundhouse).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 pm 

Alan Maples wrote:
George Jackson Churchward wrote:
How many "real" Milwaukee open-platform, rib-sided steel branchline combines are still around?

I believe the Indiana Railway Museum at French Lick still has the Milwaukee "branchline" combine they acquired from the old Reader Railroad.

Alan Maples

Mr. Churchward -

Thanks for pointing out that the "branchline combine" is actually a mainline coach with the vestibule cut away. Explains all of the windows down the side of the car.

Mr. Maples -

Does the group in French Lick use their Milwaukee Road combine? When I was there a few years ago, it did not appear so. Anyone know the Milwaukee Road number for that car?

Mr. Hicks -

Thanks for your listing of the three other cars. I know that the group in Mendota did a very nice job in restoring the 2713. What about the other two?

Finally, I seem to recall reading that the Milwaukee built two different versions of this "branchline" car. Does anyone know if that is true, and if so, what the differences were?

Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:11 pm 

I see 2716 every day at work, Didn't know it was anything special. It's at the wheels of time museum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:56 pm 

Hello,
Does anyone know where can I find the interior builders photos of the combines. I purchased the 2756 triple combine from Jackson Street and moved it to our museum a year and a half ago. The interior partitions were removed years ago and I would like to see how it looked when it was built. I also would like to find a diagram sheet as well. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Erik Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:03 pm 

Here is a picture of the Reader combine when still in service:

Glen Brewer
Railroad Glory Days
http://railroadgloydays.com

Last edited by gbrewer on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 pm 

Ironhorse Central wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone know where can I find the interior builders photos of the combines. I purchased the 2756 triple combine from Jackson Street and moved it to our museum a year and a half ago. The interior partitions were removed years ago and I would like to see how it looked when it was built. I also would like to find a diagram sheet as well. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Erik Thompson

The group at Mendota, Illinois has been doing a nice restoration of their car. It too had been stripped of interior bulkheads, and in rebuilding they built a reproduction bulkhead that hinges open to make the entire interior one space, due to the fact that they are a static museum and needed something to use as a "party car", which they rent out. However, the passenger section looked quite original, and the effect isn't bad when the reproduction bulkhead is closed. They must have some reference material they are working with.

Unfortunately, I don't have a contact for the group beyond their web site:

http://www.mendotamuseums.org/UDRR.htm

Anyone have a contact name?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 pm 

[quote="Ironhorse Central"]Hello,
Does anyone know where can I find the interior builders photos of the combines. I purchased the 2756 triple combine from Jackson Street and moved it to our museum a year and a half ago. The interior partitions were removed years ago and I would like to see how it looked when it was built. *** Erik Thompson[/quote]

Eric, the interior (and exterior) builder's photos I mentioned I'd seen recently are among the stock of "Bob's Historic Photos," a well-know vendor at several large train shows. I believe he's based out of Kentucky, and I'm sure someone here will have contact information.

"Bob" displays his photo prints in a very large number of three-ring binders. Based on the ones I remember looking through, the ones in question had to have been located within his 4 or 5 "Pullman" binders (not saying these cars were all built by Pullman, just that that's were I found them). I'm don't know how much more specifically "Bob" is organized, but you should certainly give him a try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 am 

The car in the photo reminded me of one I saw and photographed about 20 years ago in Clear Lake, Iowa. There was a small trolley museum at the east end of the Iowa Traction line, and a car with no number lettered "B & B Car" sitting outside the carbarn. It had the ribbed sides and the open platform referred to above. A look inside to barn revealed an open bench car, and they may have had a North Shore interurban. Where would this car fit into the story?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am 

Ironhorse Central wrote:
Hello,
I purchased the 2756 triple combine from Jackson Street and moved it to our museum a year and a half ago.

Sincerely,
Erik Thompson

Erik -

Congrats on picking up the 2756. It should make a nice car to use there on the Iron Horse Central once restored. I have been on your website and the car wasn't listed, so I was pleasantly surprised by the news that you had acquired it.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
Finally, I seem to recall reading that the Milwaukee built two different versions of this "branchline" car. Does anyone know if that is true, and if so, what the differences were?
Les

Ask and ye shall receive:

March 1988 Mainline Modeler wrote:
The Milwaukee Road provided extensive passenger service the farming communities of the "granger states" in 1934. To reduce costs, the road constructed all-steel lightweight combines for mixed train service. These distinctive arch-window cars were built at the same time as the new lightweight passenger cars, which would later become the 1935 Hiawatha. After experimental cars 4000 and 4400 were constructed in early 1934, combines 2700 and 2701 were built using the same lightweight all-steel modular construction techniques. Late in 1934, six more were constructed, 2702-2707. These first eight cars were smooth-sided and contained a 23' 9-1/2" passenger compartment and a 25' 7" express compartment. The first two cars rode on Bettendorf caboose trucks, and the last six rode on the new all-welded outside-equalized caboose trucks. The spartan interiors were lighted with kerosene lamps and heated with a coal stove in the passenger and express ends. The cars were not air-conditioned and had movable windows. Later, in 1938, ten cars (2708-2717) were constructed following the latest structural side design, which included seven longitudinal ribs and rectangular windows. These cars were slightly longer with 16-1/4" being added to the express compartment between the express door and the end of the body. Another ten rib side cars (2750-3759) were constructed in June-July 1938 and were extended another 15' in length to contain a mail compartment. These cars rode on slightly heavier all-welded inside-equalized trucks. All 24 combines lasted into the 1960's in revenue service, with the majority then in SOO ownership as MOW cars.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm 

gbrewer wrote:
Here is a picture of the Reader combine when still in service:

Glen Brewer
Railroad Glory Days
http://railroadgloydays.com

Glen was nice enough to send me a enlarged section of the combine only and the number appears to be 501. Apparently this is the car that ended up at INRM in French Lick and obviously, the 501 is not the original Milwaukee Road number. So, the MILW number is still unknown.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm 

Les,

I found my booklet, "Rails to Possum Trot", by J. A. Stone. Here is a little more information on the Reader combine:
Reader 501 was built by the Milwaukee Road in 1938 and was originally numbered 2708. Purchased by Reader in 1962.

Glen Brewer
RailroadGloryDays.com
http://railroadglorydays.com

Last edited by gbrewer on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.